2000pt Mechanized List Non-Compete - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt Mechanized List Non-Compete

Here is my first attempt at a Veteran Mechanized Force of 2000 points. Give it a once over and tell me if i am weak in an area. I'm not sure exactly who I'll be playing against so i tried to get a fairly balanced list. It has been a while since i've played...so any comments are graciously recieved.

Company Command in Chimera

Veteran Squad w/ shotguns, Meltaguns x3 in Chimera
    Veteran Squad w/ shotguns, Meltaguns x3 in Chimera
    Veteran Squad, Grenade Launcher x3, Autocannon in Chimera
    Veteran Squad, Grenade Launchers x3, Autocannon in Chimera
    Veteran Squad, Plasmas x3, Lascannon in Chimera

Psyker Battle Squad, 5 extra Psykers in Chimera
    Storm Trooper Squad, Meltaguns x2 in Chimera

Scout Sentinel, Autocannon
    Scout Sentinel, Autocannon

Leman Russ Battle Tank w/ Plasma Cannon Sponsons
    Leman Russ Exterminator w/ Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    Ordnance Battery, Basilisk x2 w/ Enclosed Crew Compartment, Extra Armour

It is 2000 points on the nose as is. Thank you for your insights.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Acting XO of Tanith 1st MadLarkin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

everything except for your ordnance battery looks pretty good but I don't really like the look of the stormies either.

The ordnance battery will never need extra armor so that's 30 points you could have right there, close crew compartment might be worth it since they're squadroned though but personally I would prefer a direct trade for both upgrades to camo netting since they should be behind something anyway and shouldn't be moving, so might as well get a +3 cover save.

But I if not then I would at least drop the extra armor, then you can get your command squad 30 points of stuff (such as 2 plasmas, 3 meltas, 4 flamers and a power sword, an advisor or two, there's so much that can be bought for them)

The stormies I'm not too keen on simply because your trading their hellguns for meltas, which on face value might seem good, that makes them cost 105 points. A vet squad with 3 meltas cost the same amount, has 5 more guys and is a scoring unit. Since they're in a chimera they're worse armor will be negated until the chimera is popped since you can shoot all 3 meltas out of the top hatch.

Stormies are best used in their niche role of heavy infantry killing, the only reason I see to give them a meltagun is if you plan on turning them into a suicide unit and using their airborne mission to deepstrike close to a far reaching tank and take it out.

If you do decide to use these stormies in this way and decide to drop the upgrades on the basilisks you could even buy another command squad with a melta and give the stormies chimera to them (or the other command squad's chimera).

Personally I would just swapped the stormies to veterans, if you want an elite infantry unit in your army, use the 30 points saved from extra armor to give them carapace armor, and then you could also use the 30 points (or even 15, you could have only 1 be open topped if you so wished and allocate hits accordingly) to upgrade your company command to have some weapons.

Sorry if my post was convoluted
    Most Notable Achievements:
    Killed a Revenant Titan in one shot.
    Killed 900 pts worth of Blood Angels in 2 turns while only loosing 4 pts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your post wasn't convolutted at all..well at least i understand what you are trying to say. As I was rying to fall asleep last night i debated the cost and effectiveness of the stormies as well as the sentinels. If i drop them i would get another 80 pts to play around with. So i'm thinking now change the stormies to another vet squad with chimera, then drop the sentinels and the upgrades to the basilisks...then add camo netting to the bassies and purchase some upgrades for Company Command. So what upgrades would be the most beneficial to them? Also i was wondering about switching some of the heavy weapons teams to missle launchers because i have a ton of these models (4 teams) already.
    Last edited by josefbugman; June 15th, 2009 at 15:55. Reason: forgot a question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

well, stormies are certainly too expensive. From a personal poit of view I don't like sentinel's but then they aren't terrible and are quite cheap, and it appears several people have started running them.

Your list part by part from my point of view:

HQ
    they have BS 4 and can take special weapons, and you've given them a chimera so if you don't utilise that then that could be seen as a waste. Don't give them anything too expensive though as they will just die really quickly, maybe some snipers if you like them, some people give them a mortar and master of ordnance for cheap indirect fire then hide the guys. Chimera's are bound to be popped so theirs aren't going to go to waste ferrying around other troops

Troops
    Squad's 1 & 2
    Assuming you have no intention whatsoever of charging your veterans 99% of the time time, give them lasguns not shotguns. You can assault after firing shotguns but lasguns can be fired from 24" away, apart from that theres no difference so you'd be better off with the lasguns.
    Squad's 3 & 4
    As a matter of personal preference I don't like grenade launchers and autocannon's but that is just personal and everyone else seems to have alot of sucsess with them so theres no real problems with those squads.
    Squad 5 again no problems, the 3 plasma & 1 lascannon style of veterans is easily my personal favourite (but I do take some with melta's).
    In general for troops then good, just you'd be better off with lasguns over shotguns

Elites
    Psyker battle squad is cheap and nasty. Nice.
    Stormtroopers are ludicrously expensive especially since they're only good against MEQ's out of cover and SM players will probs kill them before they can get within 18" anyway. If you dropped this squad you could get another Vet squad (I know this has already been suggested) with plasma guns and lascannon, which would probs be more effective AT than more meltaguns, and certainly more effective at shooting in general than Stormies.

Fast Attack
    Nothing wrong with this

Heavy Support
    Madlarkin is probs right about the camo netting, and that you should drop extra armour and enclosed crew compartment, apart from that though Heavy Support is good.

In short the only real problems I think you have is the minor adjustments to the basilisks and the stormies, and maybe some special weapons or upgrades for your HQ. You have no option but to take it so you might aswell take something with it.

Whatever you deciede to do, good luck
    and on the 8th day god made a talking poodle and forgot all about us
    The rep button is good

+ Reply to Thread