My First 5th Edition Army List (2,000pts - Attilan Grenadiers) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My First 5th Edition Army List (2,000pts - Attilan Grenadiers)

Hello folks,

So I decided to take a stab at the new codex and make an army list with every I'd want in it, without concentrating so much on what the target points value is, or how big or small it is. I did have to leave a couple of items that I wanted out, mainly a Leman Russ Punisher w/Plasma cannon sponsons and a Griffon Heavy Mortar, but at least I know that upgrading to 2,500pts should be a piece of cake, considering the Leman Russ and a pair of Griffons would be 500pts anyways.
    This is supposed to represent a veteran regiment from the world of Attilan. You know, the same place that the rough riders come from. Well, this army doesn't use rough riders, despite their ceremonial value in armies on the homeworld. The concept of mobility is kept highly in effect by mounting multiple squads in Chimeras and a Vendetta. The rest of the army is equipped and designed to attack, not defend, although they can defend well .. it isn't their speciality.

I decided to tun the Command HQ into a mobile wrecking crew so-to speak, with 9 total models and 3 characters, I think it will perform quite well in this role. I know priests arent very popular around here, but in my fluff Attilan is a highly religous world and the priests are mandatory, plus they kick arse in close combat with eviscerators. Backing them up is a full squad of Veterans tooled for assault who are also mounted in a Chimera. The idea is for these two to stick together if possible, and disembark in the same turn so that they may assist each other in assault. The secondary squad of Veterans are equipped for ranged fighting, and are deployed from the Vendetta Gunship in an ideal location. The combined firepower of the squad and the Vendetta, if both can be brought to bear, will be devastating.

One Stormtrooper squad is mounted and equipped for assault, and the other isn't mounted, and is equipped for ranged fighting. The plan is to deploy the squad that isn't mounted as a sort of vanguard for the Infantry Platoon I have selected in the troops section. That platoon is 32 men strong, and everyone will be on the move, I don't have to fire heavy weapons that may be carried.
    I'm pleased with the vehicle selection, its a shame I couldn't fit a Leman Russ Punisher into the list. There's something about that Turret Gatling Cannon & Plasma cannons in the side sponsons that make it a very desirable tank. The Devildog is just nasty ... that Melta-cannon is sick! And you get a hull mount Multi-melta? What an armor killer. This thing would kill Terminators, Tanks, anything with ease. Can't forget a pair of Sentinels armed with Plasma cannons .. lol, who else here thinks Plasma Cannons are one of the more underrated guns in the game? They are devastating. Well, I'll stop writing you a novel and let you see the list, please tell me what you think, its 2,000pts, and it is meant to be a mobile, aggressive army with some assault elements. Thanks for reading.

The 113th Attilan Grenadiers,
    Decorated Veteran Regiment.
    aka "The Ghost Riders"

____Headquarters____
    Company Command Squad: (xx)
    -Company Commander: Boltpistol, Powerfist, Carapace Armor (xx)
    -Regimental Standard Bearer, Carapace Armor (xx)
    -2 Veterans w/Meltaguns, Carapace Armor (xx)
    -2 Veterans w/Laspistol & Close Combat Weapon
    -2 Bodyguards w/Laspistol & Close Combat Weapon (xx)
    Lord Commissar (attached to HQ): (xx)
    -Carapace Armor, Power weapon (xx)
    Ministorum Priest (attached to HQ): (xx)
    -Eviscerator (xx)
    Mounted in: Chimera #1

Chimera #1 (Mobile Command Vehicle): (xx)
    -Turret Mounted Multi-Laser
    -Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter
    -Dozer Blade, Extra Armor (xx)

____Elites____

Stormtrooper Squad:
    -9 Stormtroopers, 1 Seargent (xxx)
    -Power weapon, 2x Meltaguns (xx)
    Mounted in: Chimera #2

Chimera #2: (xx)
    -Turret Mounted Heavy Bolter

Stormtrooper Squad:
    -Power weapon, 2x Plasmaguns (xx)

Ratling Squad: (xx)
    -6 Ratlings

____Troops____

Infantry Platoon:
    Platoon Command Squad: (xx)
    -Platoon Commander w/Bolt pistol & Power weapon: (xx)
    -Platoon Standard Bearer (xx)
    -2 Guardsmen w/Flamers (xx)
    Ministorum Priest attached to Platoon Command: (xx)
    -Eviscerator (xx)
    Infantry Squad Alpha: (xx)
    -Seargent w/Bolt pistol & Power weapon: (xx)
    -1 Guardsmen w/Plasmagun (xx)
    -1 Guardsmen team w/Missle Launcher (xx)
    Infantry Squad Beta: (xx)
    -1 Guardsmen w/Grenade Launcher (x)
    Special Weapons Squad Gamma: (xx)
    -2 Guardsmen w/Meltaguns (xx)
    -1 Guardsmen w/Demo Charge (xx)

Veteran Squad: (xx)
    -Veteran Seargent w/Bolt pistol & Powerfist: (xx)
    -6 Veterans with Shotguns
    -2 Veterans with Meltaguns (xx)
    -1 Veteran team with Heavy Flamer (xx)
    Doctrine: Grenadiers
    Mounted in: Chimera #3

Chimera #3 "Fiery Ostrich of Doom": (xx)
    -Turret Mounted Heavy Flamer
    -Hull Mounted Heavy Flamer

-Veteran Seargent w/Bolter: (x)
    -6 Veterans with Lasguns
    -3 Veterans with Plasmaguns (xx)
    Mounted in: Vendetta

Vendetta Gunship: (xxx)
    -3 twin-linked Lascannons, Searchlight, Extra Armor
    -2 Extra sponsons with 2 Heavy Bolters (xx)

____Fast Attack____

'Devildog' Variant Hellhound w/Melta-Cannon: (xxx)
    -1 Hull-mounted Multi-Melta (xx)

Armored Sentinel Squadron:
    -2 Armored Sentinels (xxx)
    -2 Plasma Cannons, Extra Armor, Smoke launchers (xx)

Total: x,xxx points -[2000]-

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me or did I do a good job here? Lulz.

I keep looking it over and I can't seem to find a single thing I should change. I can see replacing the Special Weapons Team Gamma with a Heavy Weapons Team to throw more heavy lead down range, depending on my opponent, but thats about it.

The Devildog is a BEAST! Can we say ... Tank Destroyer? You get a Melta-CANNON and a Multi-Melta? Daaaaaaaaaaang ... that thing is going to burn through anything. The best tank destroyer, and it is a light tank itself. I like how they added variations to the Basilisk and the Hellhound. The Griffon is awesome for the points cost, but I couldnt fit them in. Maybe 2500pts.

I feel like there's enough of a static (that means MOVING!) gunline with my 1st Platoon backed up by the Stormtrooper Squad that's on foot. Everyone else is loaded up into a transport and will be heading to more favorable positions. I plan on teaming the Veterans w/the Heavy Flamer inside the Heavy Flamer Chimera with the HQ Command who's suited for assault big time (like .. just about the best CC squad you can make for IG). They'll roll a flank together, hop out with flamers blazing, and both assault the same unit, or assault two different nearby units, and proceed to hit the same targets.

The idea is that the transported forces will meet the ground forces somewhere in the centre of the board after a central firefight engages by turn 3 or 4. Except the transported forces will come from behind and to the side, and will be backed up by many vehicles. :-)

PS: There's approx. 87 men (incl ratlings and sentinels) on the board, certainly a veteran regiment, as more Imperial Guard go for numbers over quality. I find this size army to be perfect for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rune View Post
    Is it just me or did I do a good job here? Lulz.
    The Devildog is a BEAST! Can we say ... Tank Destroyer? You get a Melta-CANNON and a Multi-Melta? Daaaaaaaaaaang ... that thing is going to burn through anything. The best tank destroyer, and it is a light tank itself.
    For 5 pts cheaper you could get a vendetta. as far as tank killing, at ranges of 12"+ it is almost strictly better at killing tanks. (better chance to hit via twin linked, and 1 higher strength) at ranges of closer than 12", where you accually get the extra d6 from the melta, its a tougher call, but you are still much more likely to hit with the lascannons. I would think the more flexable Vendetta is a better way to spend your points and your fast attack slot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, you definitely have a point. I was trying to bring a variety to cut down on redundancy, but come to think of it, a second Vendetta would be more in line with the fluff than a Devil dog, despite me having a personal liking for the Devil Dog as well as the Hellhound.

Plus. I'd have an extra optional transport, making 3 Chimeras and 2 Vendettas. I could place both Stormtrooper squads in the Vendettas, while sticking my Veterans in the Chimeras as well as my HQ Command squad. That would work better fluff wise as well, not to mention it would be better in game terms as well.

But now you've got me thinking ... do I really need those two sentinels? Can I bring something more effective? Because I'm seeing that my Infantry Platoon are going to be all by themselves, and I know that a Tank would be in good order here. Hmm.. perhaps I could squeeze a Leman Russ Punisher in there instead of the Sentinels squad, and possibly by downgrading a few things if need be. Why the Punisher? Because its the most under-used, and that Gatling Cannon looks like tons of fun vs enemy infantry. :-) I can still bring a lascannon in the hull and plasma cannons (or lascannons) in the sponsons, so it will still have armor busting capability. Alternatively, I could go with 3x Heavy Bolters and the Gatling cannon, making it an all out anti infantry vehicle.

Oh yeah, so as the list stands now, there's no Devil Dog, and there's a second Vendetta equipped similarly to the one I already had. Both Stormtrooper squads ride in seperate Vendettas, while both Veteran squads ride in the Chimeras. The HQ still rides in a Chimera.

Andddd .. im considering removing the pair of armored sentinels and removing some wargear elsewhere to afford myself a Leman Russ Punisher. What do you think about this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rune View Post
    ____Headquarters____
    -2 Veterans w/Laspistol & Close Combat Weapon
    -2 Bodyguards w/Laspistol & Close Combat Weapon (xx)
    Lord Commissar (attached to HQ): (xx)
    Ministorum Priest (attached to HQ): (xx)
    -Eviscerator (xx)
    Garbage. Guard aren't good at assault, CCS least of all. You can't even assault out of a Chimera, so you hop out and get shot to death. And, if you fail any morale tests (very likely, enemy pops the squishy dudes in assault, you lose), your Commissar pops your Commander. If you want to assault, take GKs or blob platoons or maybe Straken.

Dozer and armor are too expensive and not useful. Pick up a hull heavy flamer, since you can't fire both and move, so you have the option of a couple medium S shots or the infantry killing template.

Stormtrooper Squad:

Chimera #2: (xx)
    Same Chimera problems, Stormies are too expensive for what little you get (AP3 lasguns FTL)

Stormtrooper Squad:
    You can do a lot better for infantry killing.

-6 Ratlings
    Good points filler, not much else.

Infantry Platoon:
    Ministorum Priest attached to Platoon Command: (xx)
    -Eviscerator (xx)
    Priests suck, Platoon Standard suck, Guard suck in combat. Keep PCS cheap and full of cheap special weapons.

Power Weapons are a no no, Missile Launcher < Autocannon.

Trash, just use your PCS or CCS for this.

-Veteran Seargent w/Bolt pistol & Powerfist: (xx)
    Good set up, minus the powerfist and grenadiers. Keep them cheap and take multiples.

Chimera #3 "Fiery Ostrich of Doom": (xx)
    Lose the junk upgrade and get a multi-laser.

-6 Veterans with Lasguns
    Mounted in: Vendetta
    Meltaguns, no grenadiers.

Vendetta Gunship: (xxx)
    Awesome, get more.

'Devildog' Variant Hellhound w/Melta-Cannon: (xxx)
    -1 Hull-mounted Multi-Melta (xx)
    Hull heavy flamer, you don't want a single MM shot at BS3, you want flexibility. Also, lose the crap upgrades.

Armored Sentinel Squadron:
    -2 Armored Sentinels (xxx)
    -2 Plasma Cannons, Extra Armor, Smoke launchers (xx)
    So expensive for such little use.

Honestly, it's terrible. Very few troops, very little armor, very little big guns, just a whole bunch of over upgraded and suboptimal trash.

Scrap it and try again. Keep these tenets in mind.

1) When in doubt, keep it cheap. Guard love their cheap units, don't try to be Space Marines.
    2) Redundancy is key. If something is good, 2 of it is better. That way if one gets unlucky you have a backup.
    3) Must kill mech. Mech is the premier build of 5th, so you need to stop it. Autocannons and multi-lasers mess up light transports, meltaguns/Medusa/Devil Dog/Demolisher/Manticore mess up heavy tanks, flamers and templates demolish the clumps of infantry that hop out.
    4) The best way to kill infantry is force a ton of saves or ignore cover.
    5) If you bring armor, bring lots. 1 Russ is easy to kill, 2 Russes and 5 Chimeras is a lot harder.
    6) Guard don't do combat, so don't try. Straken, blob platoons with commissars and priests, or allied GKs are your best bet.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=Me=.

I hate to say it but theres more than one way to play guard.

We dont all have to play guard by using a million crappy soldiers with no armor and cheap equipment, with a bunch of Leman Russ and Heavy Weapons squads.

I know guard suck at close combat, but I want to do it anyway. Sue me for being different. If I lose alot its my own fault, I'd rather have fun and lose than win with an army I dont like.

You are right about the Commissar possibly killing the Commander, I thought about this before adding him to the squad. I think the solution is to put the Commissar where the 2nd Priest is, and put both Priests in the Command HQ.

And Priests dont suck, they allow me to reroll all missed hits on the turn i charge. Thats alot of hits coming from power weapons, powerfists, and other good stuff.

Sure, they cannot assault the turn they disembark, but no one said I was trying to do that. I would simply move them behind some form of cover --close-- to the enemy, but not assaulting. Then in my following turn id assault, if they hadnt been engaged by the enemy first. The Chimera would be right there with Heavy Flamer and Heavy Bolter support. And I'd be doing this with 20 Veterans as well as the Command squad, in 3 Chimeras, at least one Veteran squad is going where the HQ are going, preferably all 3. If you're telling me that 20 Veterans, 6 Bodyguards, 2 Priests, a Commander isn't going to do much in assault I'd have to disagree with you. Sure, they have to pick their fights, and for that reason I should make them a bit more shooty, but beyond that, I think the idea is viable and if it isnt ill have fun trying.

Consider if I play against Tau, or Edar or Dark Eldar? Id be no weaker than they are. Marine armies have better stats and armor, but there's less of them, and I could overwhelm certain portions. Tyranids would stomp me and there's no way around that one. :-)
    ----------
    =Me=.

I hate to say it but theres more than one way to play guard.

We dont all have to play guard by using a million crappy soldiers with no armor and cheap equipment, with a bunch of Leman Russ and Heavy Weapons squads.

I know guard suck at close combat, but I want to do it anyway. Sue me for being different. If I lose alot its my own fault, I'd rather have fun and lose than win with an army I dont like.

You are right about the Commissar possibly killing the Commander, I thought about this before adding him to the squad. I think the solution is to put the Commissar where the 2nd Priest is, and put both Priests in the Command HQ.

And Priests dont suck, they allow me to reroll all missed hits on the turn i charge. Thats alot of hits coming from power weapons, powerfists, str10 eviscoraters, and other good stuff.

Sure, they cannot assault the turn they disembark, but no one said I was trying to do that. I would simply move them behind some form of cover --close-- to the enemy, but not assaulting. Then in my following turn id assault, if they hadnt been engaged by the enemy first. The Chimera would be right there with Heavy Flamer and Heavy Bolter support. And I'd be doing this with 20 Veterans as well as the Command squad, in 3 Chimeras, at least one Veteran squad is going where the HQ are going, preferably all 3. If you're telling me that 20 Veterans, 6 Bodyguards, 2 Priests, a Commander isn't going to do much in assault I'd have to disagree with you. Sure, they have to pick their fights, and for that reason I should make them a bit more shooty, but beyond that, I think the idea is viable and if it isnt ill have fun trying.

Consider if I play against Tau, or Edar or Dark Eldar? Id be no weaker than they are. Marine armies have better stats and armor, but there's less of them, and I could overwhelm certain portions. Tyranids would stomp me and there's no way around that one. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a revsed version of the list. But I refuse to go with your typical guard strategy / setup. If I lose with this, so be it, but in my opinion its what the highest calibre forces in the Imperial Guard short of Marines would look like.

The 113th Attilan Grenadiers,
    Decorated Veteran Regiment.
    aka "The Ghost Riders"

____Headquarters____
    -2 Veterans w/Lasguns
    -2 Bodyguards w/Lasguns (xx)
    -2 Ministorum Priests (attached to HQ): (xx)
    -Eviscerators (xx)

-Extra Armor (xx)

____Elites____

Stormtrooper Squad:
    Mounted in: Vendetta #1

Stormtrooper Squad:
    Mounted in: Vendetta #2

-6 Ratlings

____Troops____

Infantry Platoon:
    Lord Commissar (attached to Command): (xx)

-Veteran Seargent w/Bolt pistol & Power weapon: (xx)

Chimera #2 "Fiery Ostrich of Doom": (xx)
    -Extra Armor (xx)

-6 Veterans with Lasguns

Chimera #3: (xx)
    -Extra Armor (xx)

____Fast Attack____

Vendetta Gunship #1: (xxx)

Vendetta Gunship #2: (xxx)

____Heavy Support____

Leman Rus Punisher Variant: (xxx)
    -Punisher Gatling Cannon
    -Hull mount Heavy Bolter
    -2 Sponson mount Heavy Bolters
    -Extra Armor

Total: x,xxx points -[2000]-

It sure will be fun mix and matching Cadian & Catachan plastics together, I've seen some wicked looking combinations.

PS: Yea, the force is quite low on manpower compared to most IG armies, but they are Decorated Veterans, this means they've fought alot of wars and have incurred lots of casualties. So naturally they'd be smaller. Including the ratlings, there's 87 men on the board. However, there's six vehicles, including two skimmers, and a battle tank.

The Punisher will deploy near / with the Infantry Platoon to give it more 'oomph' when it comes to enemy infantry, especially harder stuff like Terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

If you want to run a gimp army, that's your business, I'm just trying to help.

Newest version looks better. Still garbage, but a lot better.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

HQ: This squads pretty Dang nails. I do think Guard can do combat. Not brilliant combats but they can at least cause people headaches. With Priests you're paying alot of points for the ability to reroll So having a 2nd Priest in here is a bit of a waste of the Ability. I'd chuck him in another 'close combat' squad.

Straken would be awesome in this list. Have you got something against taking special characters or do you just not have the points? Str 4 Init 4 guardsmen charging in is something not alot of people will expect. Especialy those serg's weilding powerweapons.

Commi Lord: This boy really needs a powerfist. At Init3 he'll be striking alst most of the time anyway so you might aswell go for the extra strength. Hitting Marines on 3's and killing them on 2's is always nice

TROOPS: A Squad that really does well for me is My Carapce Vet squad. It's alot cheaper than the Stormtrooper squad and is just as durable in combat. The vets don't have the extra CCW but their serg can have a powerfist. Against MEQ's that becomes more than handy. Chucking a Democharge at a marine squad before you charge in (suicidal) can mean that you're fighting a few battered marines rather than a full squad. Chuck that second priest in here for the re-rolls or a Powerfist weilding Commissar Lord and it becomes pretty horrid. Even for Marines.

The Platooon:
    Only thing i'd really change is the assualt squad. I'd loose the Melta guns. You've got the Demo charge in there for slaughtering Infantry. I'd take 2 Flamers instead of Meltaguns for total template death. Plus you don't have to roll to hit which is nice on BS3

Vets: The Squad with the meltagun and Heavy Flamer. I'd loose the Heavy Flamer. It's alot of points and not THAT much better than a normal flamer. I'd grab another melta gun and dedicate this squad to taking down vehicles. If you want troop killing go for a democharge.

Chimeras. Theres no point to having 2 Flamers on your Chimeras. You can't move and fire both of them so the chances of the enemy being within both flamers range and not having charged (and killed) your tank is pretty slim. A multilaser/Flamer is a better combo.

FAST: I'd loose the Heavy Bolters on these boys. They're tank killers not infantry killers. Spend those points better else where.

HEAVY: I really think the Punisher needs Pask to make it worth while. It makes it expensive but 29 shots at str5 BS4 will make people cry. also 29shots at str6 against vehicles can cause some headaches too. This is however your only battle tank so he'll be shot at an aweful lot. Don't expect him to be shooting very often.

Having said that though i do really like your list.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; June 25th, 2009 at 09:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the criticism lord borak.

To be honest, I kinda do have a thing against special characters because i like to name my own characters if im going to be using that same wargear set up commonly. Plus, i used to play WHFB, and named characters were considered cheesy and more for the little kids. But I see in 40K it is widely accepted to take special named chars, as I see talk about them all over the place (Like people telling me to take Pusk with the Punisher).

I will remove the 2nd priest from HQ squad and put it in the Platoon's command squad. I'll give the Commissar a powerfist, add Straken to my HQ squad, making BOTH command squads pretty well off for holding their own in close combat against average and above average troops, but dedicated assault troops will beat them. Thats why they have a Chimera to pick their own fights.

I didnt know that about the heavy flamers, thanks. I thought i could fire the hull mount and swing the turret sideways and fire it at a seperate target. I will remove one for a shooty gun.

You're also right about my special weapon squad having flamers being the better choice because theyre in the same platoon as the command squad with 2 flamers in it also. I could even get crazy and put flamers in the infantry squads too, lol.

Losing the HBs from my Vendettas will remove their dual-purpose, but make them cheaper which is good. I have enough anti-infantry weapons, I think ill lose 'em. theyre hard to model onto the gunship anyways, lol.

With your suggestions, this list will kick arse!! Thanx a bunch friend.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast