1000 points: Newbies' first list! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x3)

1000 points: Newbies' first list!

Here is my first marine list. It is for a DIY chapter called the Arctic Talons. It is an assaulty, tank-poppy army. Any tips, comments, or help is appreciated.

--HQ--
    Captain, power weapon, storm bolter, 118

--Troops--
    10 space marines, flamer, missile launcher, sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol, Drop pod, 205
    10 space marines, Plasma gun, missile launcher, sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol, Drop pod, 215

--Elite--
    Dreadnought, multi melta, CCW, 105

--Fast Attack--
    5 assault marines, sergeant with storm sheild and power fist, 140
    3 scout bikers, 2 astartes grenade launchers, sergeant with melta bombs, 95
    2 land speeders, 2 multi meltas, 2 heavy flamers, 120

Total: 998

I really need help with making this list better.

How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Chaos877 View Post
    Captain, power weapon, storm bolter, 118
    Take a Lightning Claw instead of the standard Power Weapon - you don't have a 2nd CC attack anyway, and this will let you re-roll your wound dice.
    10 space marines, flamer, missile launcher, sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol, Drop pod, 205
    10 space marines, Plasma gun, missile launcher, sergeant with chainsword and bolt pistol, Drop pod, 215
    Currently against MEQ or MCs these will get bogged down very easily - give each Sergeant a powerfist and bolter. Plasmaguns are also a little unreliable, I'd take a meltagun instead (plus you can assault after firing that), and swap a ML for a Plasma Cannon with the freed up points
    Dreadnought, multi melta, CCW, 105
    A short-ranged Dread needs a pod, else he's going to be doing a lot of walking and not a lot else. Plus it'll let you get 2 pods down turn 1.
    5 assault marines, sergeant with storm sheild and power fist, 140
    Drop these, 5 assault marines won't make much of a difference and the points would be better spent elsewhere.
    3 scout bikers, 2 astartes grenade launchers, sergeant with melta bombs, 95
    Swap those meltabombs for a powerfist, and you should have enough points free to get another scout w/ Grenade Launchers.
    2 land speeders, 2 multi meltas, 2 heavy flamers, 120
    With the Assault Marines gone, you can now run these seperately.
    I really need help with making this list better.
    That's what we're here for
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x3)

Ok, the new list:

--HQ--
    Captain, lightning claw, storm bolter,

--Elite--
    Dread, Multi melta, CCW, drop pod

--Troop--
    10 marines,flamer, missile launcher, sergeant with power fist and boltgun, drop pod
    10 marines,meltagun, missile launcher, sergeant with power fist and blotgun, drop pod

--Fast Attack--
    4 scout bikers, 3 astartes grenade launchers, dergeant with powerfist
    land speeder, multi melta and heavy flamer
    land speeder, multi melta and heavy flamer

By the way, does the scout biker come with a powerfist, or will I have to get one from an IG command squad?
    How dare you speak out against LO! I shall beat you with a giant inflatable duck and then ban you to the lowest level of hell! ~Karmoon
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I'm not sure about the powerfist - I've not bought a scout biker yet.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The scout biker does not come with a power fist but if you go to www.thewarstore.com you can buy the bits for just the power fist from there i love them the section is called battle wagon bitz. As for the list i dont thi9nk the storm bolter on the captain would be all that helpful and also with the captain what are you going to do with him? if you can get the points i would give him a jump pack and deepstrike him because it looks like most of your army is doing that anyways. good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second list is more practical, consider finding some points to kit your nought with a heavy flamer to toast some squads after he pops a tank.
    Also, given the amount of deepstrike going on, consider giving your scout bikers locator beacons (don't have my codex in front of me, it could be included =])
    Marines - All built, 4/5 painted. Tau - 3/4 built, 0 painted. 'crons - 1/2 built, 1/2 painted.
    I suck at staying on task.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

The second list is much better.

A few thoughts though.

1. You have set up the dred the way i run mine. But you have far more anti tank in your 1k list than I do without him anyway. I personally would tool his up for taking out troops maybe with plasma or Flamer depending on who you face and be more a CC dred. Your scout bikers should be able to pop most if not all the tanks in a 1k point game before he get a chance to.

2. I don't understand the use of your captain at all.. can you explain what his role will be, either that or swap his equipment

I will say now that your list is very similar to the one I run, except you use scouts and i use terminators. But you seem to have a lot which will go and take out tanks and your units to take out troops to be lacking, so you may have trouble with horde or anyone who decides (like in most 1k point games) that tanks apart from transports and light tanks just arn't worth the points.
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Tossy View Post
    The second list is much better.

2. I don't understand the use of your captain at all.. can you explain what his role will be, either that or swap his equipment
    Yeah, I second that question. What are you planning on doing with your captain? Is he going to be running around by himself? On his own he is too easily shot up and is overwhelmed in CC.
    Is is possible to mount him on a bike and have him roll with the scouts? That way we has some protection and gives them a big boost. (not sure if you can do this though. I dont have the dex in front of me)
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

127 (x3)

I honestly didn't know either. BUT! I have a better, faster, stronger (hopefully) list!

--HQ--
    Chaplain, jump pack, 125

--Elite--
    Dreadnought, Heavy bolter, drop pod, 145

--Troops--
    10 space marines, meltagun, missile launcher, sergeant with powerfist, drop pod, 235
    10 space marines, flamer, missile launcher, sergeant with powerfist, drop pod, 230

--Fast attack--
    4 scout bikers, 3 astartes grenade launchers, sereant with powerfist, 145
    land speeder, heavy flamer, multi melta, 60
    land speeder, heavy flamer, multi melta, 60

Chaplain will deepstrike to compliment the marines and dread.
    My recruitment link!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

You'd be better off putting the chaplain on foot, and in one of the 'pods.
    My Deathwatch Campaign

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast