Salamanders 2000 points (Marine Newbie) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Salamanders 2000 points (Marine Newbie)

Ok i've written loads of salamander lists but i've finally settled on this one but I feel there are some big problems with the list such as scoring units and would really appreciate comments and criticism (Is that what c&c stands for?).

He'stan
    Master of the forge, conversion beamer=120(in scout snipers)

ELITES
    Terminator Assault squad, 4x thunder hammers,drop pod with locator beacon=245

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Venerable dreadnought,heavy flamer,drop pod=210
    Ironclad dreadnought, heavy flamer,drop pod=180
    Dreadnought, heavy flamer,drop pod=150

TROOPS

Scout squad,teleport homer,combi flamer=100(In landspeeder storm)
    Scout squad,teleport homer,combi melta=100 (In landspeeder storm)
    Scout Squad,cameoline, sniper rifles=90

FAST ATTACK

land speeder storm, multi-melta=65
    land speeder storm, heavy flamer=60

One of my problems with the list is that i'm not sure if I want the terminators turn 1 or the three dreadnoughts.Do you think, because its a friendly list, I could mix and match depending on opponents?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by simplebut View Post
    Ok i've written loads of salamander lists but i've finally settled on this one but I feel there are some big problems with the list such as scoring units and would really appreciate comments and criticism (Is that what c&c stands for?).

He'stan

Are both HQ's really needed? your army would function extreemly well with hestan on his own, i mean given his special rules and other things including being an awesome dude in cc as well as that handy flamer he has. the 120 points could possibly be built into other units which ill explain in a minute but without the forge mast you loose the dread covered in a min.

ELITES

I like the idea of a sea of terminators, seems to scream you are going to die to me, i like this choice, with master crafted thunder hammers. But there is a slight problem with this terminators do not get drop pods, they get the deepstrike special rule via teleporting instead and they cannont take locator beacons. so that saves you 135 points overall.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Venerable dreadnought,heavy flamer,drop pod=210
    Ironclad dreadnought, heavy flamer,drop pod=180
    Dreadnought, heavy flamer,drop pod=150

Does the venerable drednought have a multimelta? or twin linked heavy flamer? cant fault the drop pod though, the iron clad dred is a good choice it can go beat up some tanks and help to wade through infantry formations. and the standard dred same question as with the venerable?

TROOPS

Scout squad,teleport homer,combi flamer=100(In landspeeder storm)
    Scout squad,teleport homer,combi melta=100 (In landspeeder storm)

There are only 3, 5 man troops choice's here, and they are scouts, haev you considered dropping these and the storms for a tactical squad, even for 170 points that a free flamer and a free multi melta (both twin linked and with the flamer that re-rolls to wound instead very handy)So if you remoe the scouts and the land speeders that gives you550 points left over if you add in the saved points from the terminators and if you add in the commander 670 points left to spend.

So to replace those delecate scouts you could take 3 tactical squad with flamers and multi-meltas or missile launchers, also enough for three drop pods to replace the pods taken away from the terminators, also add in the locator beacons that were on them (although id put the locators on the first three pods to come down also a deathwind launcher on the first pod to touch down.

FAST ATTACK

See above for points concerning scouts.

One of my problems with the list is that i'm not sure if I want the terminators turn 1 or the three dreadnoughts.Do you think, because its a friendly list, I could mix and match depending on opponents?
    So given the re-buff id suggest:

Vulkan he'stan

tactical squad, flamer and missile launcher or multi melta, drop pod, locator beacons deathwind launcher.

tactical squad, flamer and missile launcher or multi melta, drop pod, beacon.

tactical squad, flamer and missile launcher or multi melta drop pod.

tactical squad, flamer and missile launcher or multi melta drop pod, .

Terminator Assault squad, 4x thunder hammers,

devastator squad, 10 men, 4 missile launchers or mm or hevy bolters. drop pod beacon.

6 man scout squad, sniper rifles,

2000 points total.

Dont know if you were aiming for any particular theme overall but thats just my ideas, i tried to keep the orbital insertion theme you kind of had going there, but im affraid im not a fan of scouts unless they have sniper rifles and are sat on teh ome objective.
    Last edited by lukebardy; July 11th, 2009 at 14:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

What kind of armies do you face or plan to face? Do you plan on playing more friendly games or do you plan on eventually playing it in tournaments?

Elites: Terminators can't use Drop pods. Do you want all three slots as Assault terminators? If you teleport them onto the field they cannot move for a turn. Consider dropping at least one unit and getting a Land raider (possibly a Redeemer w/ multi-melta) as a dedicated transport for one squad. It's a pretty standard cookie cutter unit if you add Vulkan to them.

Troops: I'd strongly recommend Tactical squads here. Lukebardy has the right idea. Give your sergeants powerfists and the squads multi-meltas and flamers/meltaguns if you are going to Drop pod them. I'd also take at least 3 squads. If you do keep any of the Scouts keep the sniper squad w/ a heavy bolter for the hellfire shells.

Heavy: I'd go so far as to drop the Venerable and get another Ironclad with HF/meltagun and Drop pod.

Just some observations and suggestions. Good luck!
    Last edited by Chirality; July 11th, 2009 at 15:52.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all thanks for the quick responses and all the helpful advice.I think your right about the need for some space marines but I dont want to load up on them and for fluff reasons (My own imagination) I want to keep the scouts.Also, thanks for pointing out the drop pods on the terminators squads(doh).
    Anyway here is the revised list

He'stan

ELITES
    Terminator Assault squad, 4x thunder hammers

HEAVY SUPPORT

Ironclad dreadnought, heavy flamer with dccw,multi melta drop pod=180
    Dreadnought, heavy flamer with dccw, multi melta, drop pod=150

TROOPS

Scout squad, bp+CCW,power fist,drop pod, locator beacon =145(In landspeeder storm)
    Scout squad,bp+CCW, power fist, drop pod, locator beacon=160 (In landspeeder storm)
    Full tactical squad, flamer, missile launcher, power fist,drop pod with locator beacon=240

FAST ATTACK

First turn the 2 dreadnoughts and a tactical squad come down. Sadly the other ones are waisted as the scouts will still go in the landspeeders.Also, I have 25 points left.Oh and In answer to Chilaritys question, I play some friendly lists and some semi- competative ones. One final thing, do you guys know where I could get a power fist for my sergent as I will be buying black reach with my brother
    Last edited by simplebut; July 13th, 2009 at 19:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

Offhand, outside of ebay or another online retailers, plastic powerfists come in the commander, command squad, assault squad and devastator boxes.
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

This list is better than your first but it still needs a little sorting out.

HQ: If you take one dread only you can drop the master of the forge. Either take 10 termies and 2 dreads (you can combat squad the termies into 2 units of 5) or take 15 termies and only one dread.

Elites: I would take 10 termies and 2 dreads. Ironclad if you like but I prefer MM + HF normal dreads in drop pods. Locator breacons on one or 2 pods if you plan on teleporting termies.

Troops: Scouts should take 4xBP+CCW and 1 shotgun (or combimelta) and a PF. Take one unit of these in a LSS with HF. Also take 2 tac squads as their increased survivability is needed to claim objectives. With all the termies about you can forego PF or PW. Tac squad should take MM if you use a pod as you don't need the range of the ML.

Fast: OK, standard speeders with MM+HF are good as are MM attack bikes.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ
    Good idea except I can't combat squad because I am using Vulcan's chapter tactics(At least I think thats how it works)
    ELITES
    I bought the Ironclad because I think it will be way more servivable (Kraks cant glance it). I'll wait and see if others agree with you on that.
    TROOPS
    Good idea with scouts.Oh and the only reason im taking ml is because their black reach
    FAST ATTACk
    I dont understand what you think I should do? Free up points for attack bikes and standard speeders? lose the storms?

Thanks
    Last edited by simplebut; July 13th, 2009 at 19:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

256 (x4)

HQ
    Good idea except I can't combat squad because I am using Vulcan's chapter tactics(At least I think thats how it works)
    You can still combat squad them.

ELITES
    I bought the Ironclad because I think it will be way more servivable (Kraks cant glance it). I'll wait and see if others agree with you on that.
    Then use the Ironclad. Either way a Dreadnought should still serve you well.

TROOPS
    Good idea with scouts.Oh and the only reason im taking ml is because their black reach
    By all means use what you have. If the games are friendly you can always proxy a heavy bolter every other game to see if you like the heavy bolter instead.

FAST ATTACk
    I dont understand what you think I should do? Free up points for attack bikes and standard speeders? lose the storms?
    Unless you are using the Storm as a transport I'd say yes, switch the Storm for a MM Land speeder or MM Attack bike.
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'stan

ELITES
    full Terminator Assault squad, 8x thunderhammers(In combat squads)
    Dreadnought, heavy flamer with dccw, multi melta, drop pod, locator beacon =160

TROOPS

Scout squad, bp+CCW,power fist,drop pod =135(In landspeeder storm)
    Scout squad,bp+CCW, power fist, drop pod, =150 (In landspeeder storm)
    Full tactical squad, flamer, missile launcher, power fist,drop pod with locator beacon=240

FAST ATTACK

9 Vanguard, drop pod with locator beacon, 2 extra power weapons, 5 x melta bombs =315 (with Vulcan)

Thanks as usual

PS. The vanguard are in their because I had some spare points but if anyone can think of a better use of the points i'll be all ears
    Last edited by simplebut; July 14th, 2009 at 16:52.

+ Reply to Thread