1750 point Assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 point Shock Tactics

I've got some cash to buy new miniatures, and I'm toying with the idea of an army set up along the following lines (and yes, I'd like an excuse to buy more assault guys and scouts ). I thought this might be a bit different, but I'm not sure if it'll work!

HQ

Captain
    Storm Bolter
    Power Fist
    Jump Pack

Troops

Scouts (5) X4
    Camo Cloaks
    Sniper Rifles
    Heavy Bolter in each squad

Fast Attack

Assault Squad (10 X3
    Sergeants have Power Fists

Elite

Ironclad Dreadnought X2
    Heavy Flamers on CC weapon
    Drop Pods

Dreadnought
    TL Autocannon
    Missile Launcher
    Drop Pod

The basic idea would be to drop pod the two ironclads onto the opponent's line in turn one, then move up the assault squads (and captain) to hit them as soon as possible while they're distracted by the dreddies while the scouts capture objectives and try to keep some units pinned down with sniper fire. Any ideas on whether this might work, and if more scout units are needed. Thanks for any advice .

Last edited by Fnord; July 16th, 2009 at 07:52.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one problem you have 2 pods so one will come in turn one then other when ever put drop pod on one assault squad maybe get some melta bombs in ass squads armour 14 is a bitch for pf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has 3 drop pods.
    By the way like the list I want a assaulty themed army when the ironclad is released ironclads in drop pods and assault troops make a good combo for crushing shooty armies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spike12225 View Post
    one problem you have 2 pods so one will come in turn one then other when ever put drop pod on one assault squad maybe get some melta bombs in ass squads armour 14 is a bitch for pf
    Thankfully, there will be 3 drop pods . The Melta-Bombs are a good call though, I'll shuffle a bit and give them to all the assault sergeants and the hero. Also, I'm thinking that it might make sense to take a chaplain rather than a captain, and maybe swap out the long range dreddie for a tac squad in a pod.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

Consider Land Speeder Storms. They can do a 24" scout move and drop a 5 man scout squad on an objective before the game starts, and equipped with a multi-melta it can take out tanks too - a decent alternative to infiltration.

Also, take Flamers in your assault squads. 2 in each squads is 6 less bolt pistol shots and 6 less attacks in close combat across all 30 assault marines - replaced by 6 flamer templates, which also ignore cover! And as well as that a Librarian with Jump Pack (125 pts or 175 for an Epistolary) taking Avenger adds another flamer template at high strength and AP3, plus an additional power - 5+ Ward save for the unit, or the ability to re-deepstrike once the unit becomes cut off from enemies (Gate of Infinity), would make a nice replacement for the Captain - as would Shadow Captain Shrike (Fleet for all!)

The Dreadnoughts are pretty good, but need to be pretty close when they land to get the most out of their flamers. With the pretty dedicated close-combat power from the assault marines (and their flamers if you take that suggestion) already present, some long range heavy firepower would be pretty helpful instead - a normal Dread with Lascannon and Autocannon perhaps, or 2 Autocannons if you go up against light mech a lot. Or, give the Ironclads Multi-Meltas to take out vehicles then barge into combat (as you seem to be quite lacking in that respect, besides powerfists)

The other Normal dread is alright, but I think two autocannons or two missile launchers is better than the mix.

Hope that helps!

+ Reply to Thread