1500 pts, first guard list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pts, first guard list.

Im looking at potential armies for the GT this year, id quite like to avoid my usual eldar. C&C Welcome, i expect there to be gaping flaws, please point them out.

Lord commisar

vets
    chimera
    3 plasma

vets
    chimera
    3 melta

inf platoon command
    chimera
    medic
    2 flamers
    power weapon

inf squad 1
    plasmagun
    lascannon

inf squad 2
    plasmagun
    lascannon

2 hydras

2 hydras

2 colossus

general plan is for the hydras to slow any horde, light infantry and light tanks, whilst the colossus' removes the sitting back targets. lascannons for any hevay armour, with a plasmagun for the more close range shooting, and for polishing off whatever falls out of the vehicles.

the platoon commander sits between the 2 inf squads, and will issue orders when possible, but will be heading for objectives towards the end of the game, hence flamers, PW and FNP to clear out whatevers left after the colossus'.

The vet squads will spend turns 1-4 covering the flanksfrom any deep striking nasty, and head for objectives later on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Well, my opinion is your lacking anti-tank a bit. I mean your going to have a bit of trouble taking on AV14.

HQ: I like it

Troops: Your PCS is too expensive in my opinion. Drop the medic and power weapon cause they wont help you if your in a chimera so their pretty much a waste of points.

Heavy Support: I would drop the two collosus tanks and get two medusa tanks instead. I never cared for a tank that couldnt take care of itself when the danger got too close. At least the medusa doesnt have to bother with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the ap3 ignores cover really attracts me to the colossus tho, marines in woods have been a complete pain to get rid of with my eldar.

if i dropp PW and medic from command, freeing up 40 points, what would you suggest? i could take 1 colossus and 1 leman rus demolisher, plus meltabombs on all sergeants perhaps?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by kloma View Post
    the ap3 ignores cover really attracts me to the colossus tho, marines in woods have been a complete pain to get rid of with my eldar.

if i dropp PW and medic from command, freeing up 40 points, what would you suggest? i could take 1 colossus and 1 leman rus demolisher, plus meltabombs on all sergeants perhaps?
    Melta bombs are not worth it in my opinion. The Collosus wont help you much in teh long run I think. Maybe against those armies that are more infantry strong but when you start to run into more tank heavy lists your list is screwed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

HQ
    Consider a CCS, it costs less, you can do more with it, and it's almost ccertainly going to be more useful.

Troops
    your PCS should drop it's power weapon and get another flamer. Also your vets with meltaguns are your only serious AT so you want them to be out killing stuff rather than trying to put the hurt on deep strikers - that will just get them killed. If you want your guard squad's to be a serious threat drop the platoon and get a couple of vet squad's with a lascannon & 3 plasmaguns, otherwise give them grenade launchers, spending 40pts on 2 BS3 Lascannons, and 30pts on 2 BS3 plasma guns will do you no favours.

Heavy Support
    a min range of 24" will hurt, as the colossus can't fire directly, added to that basilisk's are cheaper. Still that's up to you if you hide them well enough they could be effective, and you can't hit much from >36" away, atleast, not for long, so the basilisk would have to expose it's AV12 open topped hull. The Hydra's are good, consider making it 2 squad's of one though (dropping 2) and spending the points on more AT, 2 tl autocannon's will be fine.

In general it's not bad for a first attempt, you do need some more AT though, and you need to rethink what you want your infantry platoon to do. If you want them to hold objectives then they'd probs be better off with a grenade launcher, if you want them to put down the hurt on something you'd be better off with vets and their superior balistic skill and weapons.
    and on the 8th day god made a talking poodle and forgot all about us
    The rep button is good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vets with lascannons intrigues me, i think ive missed that in the codex lol, you make much sense /bow. i can proabbly afford and extra squad as well. 3 bs4 lascannosn is definatly better than 2 bs 3.

i do love the colossus, i think im going to give it a shot, its an easy enough swap for a LRDEM tho if it doesnt work out.

my main reason for the colossus was past experience in tournaments, with a lot of heavily armoured marines or necrons, or plague guards, sitting back. whislt there are attacking units im sure ill get my moneys worth from a colossus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok hows this looking? ive dropped the platoon for vets with lascannons, added 1 plasma to each of those squads for when things get closer.

im still undecided about colossus'or medusa, i think its going to come down to playing them both and deciding.

if i do take medussas, it will be 1 bastion breacher and 1 normal in a squadron.

vets 135
    lascannon
    sentries
    plasmagun

vets 135
    lascannon
    sentries
    plasmagun

vets 155
    3 meltaguns
    chimera

vets 155
    3 meltaguns
    chimera

vets 170
    3 plasmaguns
    chimera

company command 125
    chimera
    4 flamers

hydra 150
    hydra

hydra 150
    hydra

colossus/medusa 270/280
    colossus/medusa

scout sentinel heavy flamer 40

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Here's what I would take at 1500 for a mechanized list:

CCS w/3 x Melta, Astropath, Chimera (Hull Flamer)

4 Vet Squads w/3 x Melta, Chimera (Hull Flamer)

2 Hellhounds w/Hull Multi-Meltas

Demolisher w/Hull Lascannon
    Standard Russ w/Hull Lascannon
    Hydra

Total: 1495

You can add a GLauncher to the CCS if you want a perfect 1500.

Leave the artillery and (non-moving) lascannons at home. Get the meltas in their face for the win.
    Last edited by SandWyrm; July 20th, 2009 at 22:00.

+ Reply to Thread