1500 Points Mechanized - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

1500 Points Mechanized

Sooo, I finally got a shipment of more IG stuff and can actually build somewhat of a mechanized list without proxying any units. Only stuff I'm waiting for is the new demolisher kit. My one big concern here is that I am very worried about not having enough scoring units. But this is the first time I've really fielded an elite/tank heavy list. Hopefully they will draw most of the fire.

HQ
    • Company Command Squad - x4 Meltagun, Chimera (ML/HF) - 145

Pretty straight forward on these guys. Kill tanks and other unsquishy things.

Elites
    • Psyker Battle Squad - Full Squad, Chimera (ML/HB ) - 165

These guys will mostly be attempting to force low leadership morale checks. I usually go heavy flamer on the hull for my chimera, but with the 36 inch range of the psykers, I figured the heavy bolter would work nicely on these guys. Anyone have experience with them?

Troops
    • Veteran Squad - x3 Meltagun, Chimera (ML/HF) - 155
    • Veteran Squad - x3 Plasma, Chimera (ML/HF) - 170

Standard chimeltas to go along with the CCS. I've found that 3 meltagun squads are usually enough to deal with any armor. The plasmas are on the vets instead of the CCS because they have more wounds to soak up and I like maxing out the special weapons in an army. I don't really know what else I'd put on them.

My one very big worry here is that I only have three scoring units. Even at 1000 points I usually have 4 so I am leery of the setup. Thoughts?

Heavy Support
    • Leman Russ Demolisher - Heavy Flamer - xxx
    • Leman Russ Eradicator - No idea on the hull gun - xxx

I love demolishers, they maul things, they maul things very well. The extra point of armor on the rear is a blessing as well.

Eradicator is something I'd really love to try out. I have had several games where cover saves on non-MEQs have been an annoyance to no end. Demolisher shell landing on an approaching Genestealer brood hiding out in cover but failing to do much damage due to the stupid cover save for example. This tank seems very nice for killing every thing that isn't an MEQ. No idea what to put on the hull though. I'm leaning toward the flamer as a 'just in case' weapon and the extra 3 shots from a HB don't seem like they'd be much use.

Total: 1445

Here is the weird thing, except for only having 3 scoring units, I'm fairly happy with this. I still have 55 points to spare. I have a few ideas on this (not all of these of course)

1) Sponsons of some sort on the Eradicator
    2) Demolitions on the Plasma Squad
    3) Officer of the Fleet
    4) Inquisitor - x2 Mystic, Emperor's Tarot - 55
    5) Adding filler/fluffy gear to squads for the hell of it (pintle stubbers or something)

I could possibly drop the eradicator and pick up another vet squad, but I really like the idea of rocking 3 tanks.

C&C welcome. You know what to do, rip me a new one.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

HQ: Nice.

Elites: Do you really need 2 of these? against fearless armies they are not really worth it. Drop one of them for more troops.

Troops: Good. May want HB on the hull of the plasma squad.... or maybe not. with the 165 points from a psyker squad you could get a 25 man infantry platoon on foot with AC/GL inthe squads. These can deploy in cover near home objectives freeing up the mechanised chaps to take the fight to the enemy. They will also chip in some fire support and force the enemy to kill them or give you some easy objectives.

Heavy: not keen on hull heavy flamers on slow tanks who should begin to back away from close in infantry anyway. A HB will fire more often and it's less risky to krak grenades and power fists.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    Elites: Do you really need 2 of these? against fearless armies they are not really worth it. Drop one of them for more troops.
    Very good point, I'll drop one of these. Probably will pick up another squad when bumping up to 2000 points.

Heavy: not keen on hull heavy flamers on slow tanks who should begin to back away from close in infantry anyway. A HB will fire more often and it's less risky to krak grenades and power fists.
    Valid point, but just from my experience playing, the HF is a good safety. I don't plan on rushing the demos up close, the HF is just insurance.

Here is a revised list, dropping one PBS. I usually don't do hybrid at all, but the extra platoon around for home objective capping and the ability to pop a few more transports is very nice. I hate those freaking rhino rushes.

HQ
    • Company Command Squad - x4 Meltagun, Officer of the Fleet, Chimera (ML/HF) - 175

Elites

Troops
    • Veteran Squad - x3 Plasma, Chimera (ML/HF) - 170
    • Infantry Platoon
      • Platoon Command Squad - x2 Grenade Launchers, Autocannon - 50
      • Infantry Platoon - Grenade Launcher, Autocannon - 65

Any thoughts on whether or not to combine the squads to make better use of the PCS orders?

Heavy Support
    • Leman Russ Eradicator - No idea on the hull gun - xxx

Total: 1440

Ten points to spare and nothing really useful to use it on. Ideas?

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    • Infantry Platoon
      • Platoon Command Squad - x2 Grenade Launchers, Autocannon - 50
    Any thoughts on whether or not to combine the squads to make better use of the PCS orders?
    Yes, you should combine the squads, but not for orders, for survivability. This is the only home objective defense unit in your army so you want it to stick. Furthermore, if your opponent decides to chew them in Annihilation the combined Platoon will be giving up 2 kill-points instead of 3.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; July 28th, 2009 at 21:03.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Combine them in kill point missions but otherwise stay seperate. A 20 man unit is still vulnerable to running away from only 5 casualties and larger units are more vulneravle to blast weapons and more dificult to find cover for.

If one of your squads takes substantial losses then give it the go to ground order and just let it claim the objective and challenge enemy units to shoot it with its 2+ cover save.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread