1850 Daemonhunters Round 2 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850 Daemonhunters Round 2

Round two of Competitive GK building, 1850 list once again.

HQ:
    Brother Captain - 290
    -Psychic Hood, Hammer Hand
    -Terminator Retinue x4
    --Incinerator

Elite:
    Grey Knight Terminators x5 - 260
    --Incinerator
    -Brother Captain upgrade

Inquisitor - 205
    -2x Mystics
    -Warrior
    --Multi-Melta
    -Warrior
    --Plasma Cannon
    -Chimera
    --Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Pintle Storm Bolter, Hull Heavy Bolter

Troops:
    Inquisitorial Storm Troopers x8 - 193
    -2x meltaguns
    -Chimera
    --Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Hull Heavy Bolter

-2x meltaguns
    -Chimera

-2x meltaguns
    -Chimera

Heavy Support:
    Land Raider - 258
    -Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Land Raider - 258

Total: 1850

Two Land Raiders, four Chimeras.

I figure I'd run the Inquisitorial Chimera behind the two LRs as anti-DSing melta protection, Termies obviously go in Land Raiders where they belong.

Hammer Hand and the Inquisitor's Storm Bolter are there because I had twenty points left over and figured it was better spent between those two things than a second Incinerator for one of the termy squads.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get rid of the chimeras and ISTs and put in PAGKs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok... why? Please be a little more specific when making broad, sweeping statements. What would you do with those PAGKs? Have them walking around by themselves? Put Psycannons on them? If so, plan on just having them sitting around backfield? Putting them in Rhinos? Purchasing a LR for a single squad of them?

As stated previously, please follow through with your ideas. I'm more than welcome to criticism, no matter how harsh, so long as it is valid and thought out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonhunter_Gamer View Post
    get rid of the chimeras and ISTs and put in PAGKs
    And your reasoning behind this is what now?

Looks ok for what it is. Never really going to be competitive until points values and equipment are sorted out next dex. Looks to me like you have gone down the guard vendetta/veterans route so best of luck with that.

Only thing I would change would be the =][= set up. Dump all his retinue and replace with 3 plasma gun warrior henchmen and a combi plasma for the =][=.

PL
    I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbinator View Post
    HQ:
    Brother Captain - 290
    -Psychic Hood, Hammer Hand
    -Terminator Retinue x4
    --Incinerator

Elite:
    Grey Knight Terminators x5 - 260
    --Incinerator
    -Brother Captain upgrade
    I'd consider making that shooty Inq retinue a LOrd retinue and putting the Psychic Hood on them; that way you're not risking it every time your BroCap charges. Otherwise fine.

Inquisitor - 205
    -2x Mystics
    -Warrior
    --Multi-Melta
    -Warrior
    --Plasma Cannon
    -Chimera
    --Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers, Pintle Storm Bolter, Hull Heavy Bolter
    Try and give both Gun Servitors the same weapons. Plasma Cannons are ridiculously overpriced nowadays so I'd dump that for either another MM or a HB.

Troops:
    -2x meltaguns
    -Chimera

-2x meltaguns
    -Chimera

-2x meltaguns
    -Chimera
    You don't really need 8 heads in these squads; 5 will do fine, because once the transports go pop they'll die the same no matter how many models they have.

Heavy Support:
    Land Raider - 258

Land Raider - 258
    Swap one for a Crusader; they're a lot shootier versus infantry and have a nice free MM.

Two Land Raiders, four Chimeras.

I figure I'd run the Inquisitorial Chimera behind the two LRs as anti-DSing melta protection,
    This can be a bad thing; not least because your =][= retinue has heavy weapons, which become wasted points if their vehicle's mobility is a central part of your strategy. The bigger problem is the 4D6 spotting range being measured from the Chimera's hull, so running it behind the Raiders means your opponent gets a lot of free space in front and to the side to drop stuff without fear of being spotted.

Hammer Hand and the Inquisitor's Storm Bolter are there because I had twenty points left over and figured it was better spent between those two things than a second Incinerator for one of the termy squads.
    I'd have taken the Incinerator, or alternatively put HH on both of the BroCaps. A single StormBolter on an Inquisitor ain't going to do much, especially not if you've got other weapons in there that want to fire (don't forget, DH Codex Chimeras only have 2 Fire Points). The other options will do a lot more damage; the Incinerator especially. There are no words to describe just how awesome those things are nowadays.

I think the reason the other lad is telling you to drop the Chimeras is because DH Codex Chimeras suck. They do; they're expensive, don't get a Heavy Stubber, have only 2 Fire Points and no Searchlights (which are another item you want to consider if you're planning a shooty vehicles army from a 3rd Ed Codex), and with so few of them on the board it won't be hard to side-panel them to death.

Personally I'd rethink the the IST squad sizes, possibly change the Inquisitor to a Lord, drop the Gun Servitors for Veterans with special weapons (don't bother with Plasma, cover makes it worse than useless) and throw some Guard in there. Their Chimeras are cheaper and a bit nastier, can be stolen by your DH units to ride around in, and a single Platoon allows you to pretty much triple your firepower; as demonstrated by good old Stelek and his DH/ IG lists here:
    Yes The Truth Hurts: Grey Knights w/IG Powerups

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Lord
    Looks ok for what it is. Never really going to be competitive until points values and equipment are sorted out next dex.
    Yeah, taht's the truth. I think I'll just wind up waiting until then. I like the models, but I like not picking them up all the time even more.

Looks to me like you have gone down the guard vendetta/veterans route so best of luck with that.
    Not sure what you mean by this, but I also don't know much about the new IG book.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fugger
    or alternatively put HH on both of the BroCaps
    Just for the record, only GK Hero Brother Captains can get psychic powers, and you can only have one GK Hero. Otherwise I would've done just that.

Yeah... looking at Stelek's list that really seems to be the better way to go in pretty much every way imaginable. Blegh, guess I just like the models and hate the current book. Any idea when that new codex is supposed to hit the shelves? Late 2012?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

I've heard "mid 2010", "late 2010" and "before 6th Edition" from GW staffers. They, however, are aware that I'm a DH fanboy so they were likely bullshitting. Which means it'll probably be late 2012 or something; Daemonhunters just don't sell enough to warrant a quicker release.

EDIT: Inducting Guard is definitely the way to go if you're trying to run a competetive DH/ GK army that has a realistic shot at winning stuff. The good thing about armies built around Inducted IG is that they allow more room for Grey Knight Termies to be run
    Last edited by Frank Fugger; July 31st, 2009 at 22:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, considering those IST will get one shot instantly, with no cover save, and considering they can only do something on a 5+ 4+ they are worthless if you ask me.

And any BC can have HH.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy

Well, considering those IST will get one shot instantly, with no cover save, and considering they can only do something on a 5+ 4+ they are worthless if you ask me.

And any BC can have HH.
    I'm really not sure what your first sentence is trying to say, "and considering they can only do something on a 5+ 4+ they are worthless if you ask me" means what now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

235 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Daemonhunter_Gamer View Post
    ISTs are fantastic; where else do you get 2 Meltaguns and a Rhino with broken Smoke Launchers [EDIT: and Extra Armour] for 128pts? They're also Ld8, BS4 models with carapace armour. Seriously, what's not to love?

And any BC can have HH.
    Kirbinator was right, only Heroes and Inquisitors/ Lords can. Check the top of the Psychic Powers page.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast