500 pts footslog list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 pts footslog list

hi, new to IG, making my first start out list. I don't want it to be completely be exclusive to killing one race, but i will be facing chaos, necrons and tau primarily. I am keen on making a hybrid list, a good mix of elites, troops and a strong HQ.

HQ
    Company Command Squad 50
    reg standard - 15
    vox - 5
    sniper - 5
    melta - 10
    carapace - 20

Elites
    Storm Trooper Squad - 85
    Ratlings - 50

Troops
    Veteran - 70
    vox - 5
    2 grenade - 10
    flamer - 5
    greandier carapace armor - 30

veteran 2 -70
    vox - 5
    grenade launcher - 5
    2 plasma guns - 30
    grenadier carapace armor - 30

TOTAL - 500pts

would appreciate tips and tactics

how would i get my guys close enough to shoot without getting mowed down? i understand the use of cover, but what if there's a huge gap in between the cover and the enemy?
    if i use the run command rule, does that mean i cannot shoot?

any tips would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kgunso View Post
    hi, new to IG,
    Welcome
    HQ
    Company Command Squad 50
    reg standard - 15
    vox - 5
    sniper - 5
    melta - 10
    carapace - 20
    What's his job? Do you want him to keep up with the troops? Then the sniper is useless. Give him 1 or 2 more meltas, 3 grenade launchers, or equip them for close combat or something.
    Do you want him to sit back and provide sniper fire? Then the the regimental standard could go, along with the melta. Give the squad 3 more sniper rifles and trade the carapace for cammo cloaks.

Elites
    Storm Trooper Squad - 85
    Ratlings - 50
    Give the storm troopers some special weapons so they can take out vehicles or monstrous creatures or something. I like ratlings.
    Troops
    Veteran - 70
    vox - 5
    2 grenade - 10
    flamer - 5
    greandier carapace armor - 30

veteran 2 -70
    vox - 5
    grenade launcher - 5
    2 plasma guns - 30
    grenadier carapace armor - 30
    Everything you have is pretty expensive. For the price you are paying for 20 vets I could bring 40 guardsmen with heavy bolters and grenade launchers, both of which would negate your expensive carapace armor. You might want to bring less elites and give these guys transports or something to help keep them alive. If you are going to spend all of the points on carapace you need a better method of infill. Either just have it on your storm troopers (who can infiltrate and fall from the sky) or give these guys a transport. Having them walk is just asking them to be massacred.

edit* oh yeah, and mixing weapons like grenade launchers and plasma guns is typically a bad thing.
    Last edited by YounGunner; August 4th, 2009 at 18:54.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i first started playing guard against a friend with taui used a similar list and my troops got mowed down every game. if you take out the veterens and put in some basic infantry with heavy weapons that is way more effective than veterens slowly walking in carapace. another good option is to drop the carapace and special weapons and put them in chimeras with melta guns. although then it would not be a footslog list. so if you want to keep that theme your best bet would be regular infantry with autocannons heavy bolters or something of that sort.
    hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

would appreciate tips and tactics

how would i get my guys close enough to shoot without getting mowed down? i understand the use of cover, but what if there's a huge gap in between the cover and the enemy?
    if i use the run command rule, does that mean i cannot shoot?

any tips would be appreciated!
    You've got 2 choices here:

1) Go with Vets in Chimeras and drive across in safety.
    2) Drop your elite troops entirely and go with more cheap squads.

Option #1 is going to be overpowered at 500 pts, as Chimeras are undercosted. But hey...

Option #2 will require you to learn the fine art of the meat shield. Basically, you spread out the leading squad and use it to provide cover for the squads following behind. When that squad goes down, the next one shields the squads behind it. You can't fire if you run, but there's little point in doing so anyway if your enemy is more than 12" away.

When you get into assault range, do *not* charge the enemy. Instead, keep blocking. You want to make him charge you one squad at a time while you keep shooting him up. Eventually he will go down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i totally agree with kgoreham 2 vet squads will not be able to walk across the table espcially against tau.
    hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you everyone for the help! i think i will get rid of the elite squad of karskin and ratlings, and use those points towards dedicated chimeras.

Any ideas with my HQ squad? I would like to have them up with my two veteran squads, giving command orders, and dishing out some damage of their own, so i need suggestions for what to give them

i was thinking of having one of the vet squads with 2 plasma and 1 melta, and the other one with 3 grenade launchers

the HQ and the 2 veteran squads get equipped with dedicated chimera transports

oh, and one more thing, would it be an advisable tactic to get closer and closer with every turn with my 3 chimeras full of guys, then unload about "15 away, behind the chimera tank? I was thinking of using the tank kinda like a meat shield as mentioned before. Itself can deal out damage as my troops get ready the next turn to get moving close and open fire with my HQ behind giving firing support and commands, any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by kgunso; August 5th, 2009 at 10:14.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I'd do the same to be honest, drop those Elites and grab some chimeras for your blokes. At 500pts Chimeras are just nasty little vehicles so use these guys to your advantage.

If you're grabbing Chimeras you probably don't need the Carapace armour. In 500pts spending 80pts on 3 squads carapace armour is a big chunk of your points when you're tucked up safely in your chimera anyway, but if it's in your theme go for it.

HQ, Just grab 2 Plasma guns or 2 Melta Guns and whack them in a chimera. The melta guns should more than be able to take care of tanks in 500pts and 2 plasma can deal with the lighter tanks and Marines and the likes or 4 G-Launchers for some fun.

TROOPS: Vets are fine but, Like said before try not to mix special weapons. 3 G-Launchers are brilliant in Chimeras as you can drive around and still fire 24". Or tool up on plasma and melta to get rid of nasty things. Giving Vets Flamers is really just wasting their BS4. The Chimera transports give you the anti-Hoard punch with a Multilaser and H-Flamer.

Off the top of my head heres a little list.

CCS: 2 Melta Guns, Chimera - 125pts

VETS: 3 Plasma Guns, Chimera - 170pts

VETS: 3 Plasma Guns, Chimera - 170pts

And you've got 35pts to spare. I dunno a Scout sentinel? Buy a Demo Charge for one of the Vets maybe? It's just an idea anyway.

Good Luck

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks everyone, i have read thoroughly through your comments and talked to a few gamers down at my local GW, okay, new list, here's what i'm thinking

CCS- 2 melta, vox, reg stand, chimera- 125

vet squad 1 - 3 grenade launchers, vox, chimera-145

vet squad 2 - 3 plasma, vox, chimera -175

5 ratlings - 50

TOTAL - 495

the CCS got strong weaps, good trans so it can get to my vet squads and a reg standard to help with my re-rolls

one vet squad with the plasma to take armor and heavies, the other vet squad all rounder with the grenades

the ratlings are there to provide suport fire, to pin down the enemy, etc

hopefully this will do. I am hoping for a setup that would work in any situation, not just against shooty armies, but also against hordes of enemies,and heavily armored armies.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Looking good mate but the Vox and the Standard are only of use if you're intending on getting out of your Chimera. Only do that if you really REALLY have to.

Sniper Rifles in general aren't brilliant. Most guys will have high LD or some special rules to get around it (Orks Mob rule for example). Don't hope for Rending either. It's a nice tough but thats about it.

Thats 30pts worth of Equipment you're probably not going to be using. If you lost the Ratlings that could be 2 Scout Sentinels with Autocannons for taking down enemy vehicles or some more nasty equipment for your troopers. Hell even something like a Primaris Psyker in the G-Launcher unit for some total str6 assault 24" death!!

Just an idea.

EDIT: Dammit i missed my 1000th POST!!!!
    Last edited by Lord Borak; August 5th, 2009 at 13:06.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GENIUS! i will put them in, but with only armor 10, should they go rushing in? or at the same pace as my chimeras? those autocannons are VERY useful

sorry guys, but need help AGAIN! (sorry!)
    so now that i got my army set complete, i need to get a good grasp on how to use them effectively without getting blown up. That's probably my biggest concern, by chimeras and walkers getting blown up before i can get close enough to unload them (oh, and how close should i get to enemies before i unload troops?).

Also, if my guys are using the chimeras as cover, wouldn't that put them at the risk of copping an explosion when the enemy finally destroys the transport? or should my troops/chimera move out of the way first?

i apologize for the billion questions!
    Last edited by kgunso; August 5th, 2009 at 13:19.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast