1500 Point IG - Starting Out - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Point IG - Starting Out

Hello, I'm just getting started with the guard and I wanted some opinions on my army list. A brief word on the concept of this army: One of things that really attracted me to the Guard was the idea these are just "regular guys" fighting for their homes. I felt it therefore a bit inappropriate to pile in scads of high-tech or unusual units (abhumans, plasma tanks, Rambo-like BAMFs, etc.) This army list was actually modeled after a US Army Infantry Company, circa fall of 1944:

1 X Command Squad
    4 X Troopers with Lasrifle
    1 X Senior Officer with Laspistol & CCW
    (Yep, bare-bones. He's already issuing orders, what with 5+ armor I see no need to attract anymore fire to these guys than nessessary)

3 X Infantry Platoon

1 X Command Squard
    4 X Troopers with Lasrifle
    1 X Junior Officer with Laspistol & CCW

2 X Infantry squad
    6 X Troopers with Lasrifle
    1 X Heavy Bolter
    1 X Melta Gun
    1 X Sergeant with laspistol & CCW

1 X Infantry squad
    6 X Troopers with Lasrifle
    1 X Auto Cannon
    1 X Melta Gun
    1 X Sergeant with laspistol & CCW

1 X Heavy Weapons Squad
    3 X Mortar

3 X Leman Russ
    Battle Cannon
    Hull mounted lascannon
    Side sponson heavy flamers

And that is it! Obviously the heart of this army is the infantry squads. I think they are fairly rounded out being able to take on light/medium infantry, light vehicles, and tanks fairly well. Albeit, only at fairly close range on the tanks. The one thing these guys can't scuff up to quick is heavy/power armored infantry. Other than plasma gunning-out my army(which I don't want), I don't really see how this can be avoided.

The battle cannon's AP3 is a help with the power armor. In a perfect world I'd like to dump the lascannons for more flamers and use the points to buy some vox casters. The problem is that would leave me without any long range anti-armor weapons, and that's not really a risk I don't want to take.

One thing I do really like about this army is there no one obvious "fire magent." Well, expect the tanks, but that is unavoidable and they are hardy. Hopefully this will cause an opponent to dilute his firepower by spreading it out over several squads.

There we have it, your thoughts gents?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Get some lascannon support squads in your infantry platoon; you are seriously screwed if you fight an ever popular mechanised army. If you dropped one platoon you could take a duo of lascannon armed heavy weapon squads.

The russes lascannons aren't as good as other weapons, give it a hull heavy flamer, then switch the sponson weapons to heavy bolters. You could only fire one heavy flamer on the move anyway.

Switch the infantry squad meltaguns out for grenade launchers, they compliment the heavy weapons and lasguns much more.

That should leave you with 85 points, give your CCS a regimental standard; it will soon win you over. Then you could grab another mortar support squad.

With the remaining 10 points you could give your 2 PCSs a flamer each.

Hope that helps

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, that sounds like I'm giving up a fairly large percentage of my force for a handful of high priority targets. The autocannons are not a sufficient deterrent for light vehicles/transports? Perhaps if I switched the ratio of HB to ACs?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Thing is that Heavy Bolters will only be able to hurt light vehicles and even then mostly just glances if you are lucky.

AV 13 and 14 are going to maul you. The only thing that could glance them are the LRBTs. A mech force would take them out first, sit outside of you meltagun range, shell you the entire game, and then make a mad last-second dash for objectives.

Just my take on things. Go with what kevin suggested. Lascannons and Autocannons are your friend.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

Infantry Guard... I yearn for the days with this was more viable, but must let go of that lament...

Quote Originally Posted by Dillweed85 View Post
    . A brief word on the concept of this army: One of things that really attracted me to the Guard was the idea these are just "regular guys" fighting for their homes.
    You are really describing the Planetary Defense Forces (PDF), not the Guard. The Imperial Guard are the guys who LEAVE their planets to go fighting across the universe for the Emperor. They are the Foreign Legion and the Crusaders. Just needed to clear that up because you are creating artificial restrictions on your theme to fit a misconception of the fluff. Either way, this will be an uphill climb.

Standing behind an Infantry army is always impressive. Standing in front of one can be intimidating unless you realize how weak they usually are.

Let's spin this sideways and see how it looks:

- Most AV14 busting is in static squads and has 12" range.
    - Everything else in your army is anti-infantry, including your Heavy Weapons Teams and Armor.
    - Your only way to take objectives across the board is to walk, en masse.

I'm less worried by your lack of anti-MEQ than by lack of anti-tank. Your anti-MEQ is forcing lots of 3+ saves. In theory, that works. You'll miss the ability to vaporize a squad in one go, but that is the price you pay.

You simply can't beat a mech force with this army. Drop Pods will massacre it.

The problem with the strategy that nothing stands out as a target is that nothing is actually very good. Overloading your enemy with priority targets is more effective than filling up points with buffers. I'm not sure you can make the list competitive with the current codex using that strategy.

Looking at the numbers, you could drop the Russes and the Mortars for seven HWTs with Lascannons. Meh, not sure how much that helps since you are still immobile, but at least you'll be sening 21 lascannon shots downrange at transports/tanks.

Maybe I'll become inspired later, but I just can't get infantry to work as anything other than a gunline that loses slowly.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I *really* don't want to do a mech army. I know all the cool kids are doing it, but if anything that makes me want to try something unique. My old army is actually mech tau. I'd like to do something different, ya know?

I hear you about the lascannons tho, I probably will drop the 3rd PLT and put a bunch in.

Also, I keep on hearing about how GLs and ACs "go well together." It is not immediately apparent why this is the case to me. Why is this better than, say, the traditional SM loadout of MLs and flamers?
    Last edited by Dillweed85; August 11th, 2009 at 22:10.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by RecklessFable View Post
    You simply can't beat a mech force with this army. Drop Pods will massacre it.
    About the drop pod part, I couldn't disagree more. I happen to own a mostly drop podding army with abit of other deep striking units, and I findthat this is the kind of army I would the most trouble against. To have even the slightest chance of beatinng this kind of army the first turn drop, I usually have enough melta power to drop about two tanks of leman russ status. This means virtually no shots at the infantry at the start, and my tank busting potential would change greatly if he surrounded his tanks with troops, not just for cover but more imortantly not letting me close and use the melta rule. On the guards turn now with two less russes should things go perfectly, I find they would be ery angry, with lots of rapid firing las shots, and a meltagun per squad plus the still intact russ. This volley, unless I get very lucky should wipe out my first wave entirely, bar a few pods, this proccess then repeats, with less coming down each turn until I am completely out of models.

That said, ths list would be a kind of one trick pony, only doing well against deeo strike heavy armies, or even worse than any other army should it play planetstrike.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

210 (x5)

I hear you about uniqueness and I also have several hundred painted guardsmen who with they could be called back up to the big leagues. So I wish you luck there.

Folks like GLs with ACs because they are 24" range and have similar purpose. Since I'm not a fan of GLs except as filler points I can't really add more to that.

ML/Flamer Marines, I suspect are all about combat squads. I can't imagine folks are gunlining with a ten-man setup like that. If they are, I'd love to play them. Maybe I'd even handicap the match and use only infantry
    ----------
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Biscuits View Post
    About the drop pod part, I couldn't disagree more. I happen to own a mostly drop podding army with abit of other deep striking units, and I findthat this is the kind of army I would the most trouble against. To have even the slightest chance of beatinng this kind of army the first turn drop, I usually have enough melta power to drop about two tanks of leman russ status. This means virtually no shots at the infantry at the start, and my tank busting potential would change greatly if he surrounded his tanks with troops, not just for cover but more imortantly not letting me close and use the melta rule. On the guards turn now with two less russes should things go perfectly, I find they would be ery angry, with lots of rapid firing las shots, and a meltagun per squad plus the still intact russ. This volley, unless I get very lucky should wipe out my first wave entirely, bar a few pods, this proccess then repeats, with less coming down each turn until I am completely out of models.

That said, ths list would be a kind of one trick pony, only doing well against deeo strike heavy armies, or even worse than any other army should it play planetstrike.
    I haven't played my podding marines since we still had traits and 4th edition rules, but my gut reaction is to say to drop onto the flank and use the pods to block LOS to most of his army. After that I'd probably be multicharging units in order to stay stuck in on his shooting phase. But that all depends on terrain, deployment, etc.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread