1500pts Competitive Mech Guard (Feedback Please) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

1500pts Competitive Mech Guard (Feedback Please)

My guard have been out of action since 5th edition was released and I've been finding it difficult to rewrite their list as the army's agilty relied on the Drop Troops doctrine. The army itself was very effective and came 13th out of 50 in a competitive tournament and I want to make sure it's just as effective with the new list. Luckily I came across a helpful thread about mech guard tactics, which has pointed me in the right direction. So lets get to the list...

Offensive Group

115 - Command Squad: 3 Melta Guns, 1 Master Of The Fleet and 1 Vox
    55 - Chimera: Heavy Flamers

105 - Veteran Squad: 3 Melta Guns and 1 Vox

105 - Veteran Squad: 3 Melta Guns and 1 Vox

Defensive Group
    130 - Veteran Squad: 3 Plasma Guns, 1 Autocannon and 1 Vox
    55 - Chimera: Heavy Bolters

130 - Veteran Squad: 3 Plasma Guns, 1 Autocannon and 1 Vox
    55 - Chimera: Heavy Bolters

Support Group
    45 - Scout Sentinel: Missle Launcher

40 - Scout Sentinel: Heavy Flamer

205 - Leman Russ Executioner: Lascannon

190 - Leman Russ: Plasma Cannons and Heavy Bolter

150 - 2 Griffons

Total Pts: 1500
    Total No: 46 (11)
    Kill Pts: 15

As you can see it's broken up into 3 parts you have the offensive group that is always on the move, attacking the enemy's objectives. The defensive group park on and defend the objective on my side of the board. All the while be supported by the heavy support and fast attack choices.

The best bit is I only need to buy 3 chimeras all the rest are models from my previous army with small alterations. I've spend my last pts on the sentinels because I have the models and they'll draw some fire away from the big tanks. However I can swap the weapons for flamer and use it as a sucidal anti-horde unit?

And before anyone suggest a Vendetta or Valkyrie my guard are converted around a low tech theme and to have something as advanced as the Vendetta or Valkrie just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the army. So until I convert something suitable I'll need a list without any airal units.

Well what do you think?

Last edited by Proiteus; August 13th, 2009 at 10:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Drop the voxes, you can't issue orders to squads that are mounted in transports. For the melta veterans keep the multilaser/heavy flamer on the chimeras.

Plasma is very pricey but packs a punch. Keep a multilaser/heavy bolter if these are going to be your long-range pillboxes (though I'd still prefer heavy flamer on the hull just in case)

Missile Launcher and Lascannon sentinels are pricey and will miss half the time, autocannons or multilasers are better.

Drop the lascannon on the Exectutioner as its purpose is to maul heavy infantry. I'd say move the plasma sponsons from the LRBT to the Executioner for added punch. A lot of people love the LRBT, but I'd honestly prefer to see a demolisher with hull heavy flamer.

No idea on the griffons, have never used them before.

Pretty strong list as far as I can see. Only thing is the voxes are not needed and the sentinel load-out is iffy, the rest of it is just my personal preference.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

It seems a standard Mechanized list. You must have a lot of MEQs in your metagame--you have no anti-horde except the Griffons and Russ, which for 1500 is probably adequate. My only real concern is that you use Chimeltas almost exclusively for your antitank. They're a solid performer, of course, but everybody and their pet frog is using that tactic. Your opponent will likely be going into the game with a counter-strategy to it. A backup plan would be prudent.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    Drop the voxes, you can't issue orders to squads that are mounted in transports.
    The Vox network is for those do or die moments when you have to disembark, you will want those bring it down orders to work! They are also handy for get back in the fight orders because when the chimera explodes they likely will be fleeing, it keeps those vital scoring bodies from running off. I'm told some people swear by them, others swear at them.

Missile Launcher and Lascannon sentinels are pricey and will miss half the time, autocannons or multilasers are better.
    True I'm considering taking 2 scout sentinels with heavy flamers and maybe ditching the 2 plasma guns for a 3rd?

Drop the lascannon on the Exectutioner as its purpose is to maul heavy infantry. I'd say move the plasma sponsons from the LRBT to the Executioner for added punch. A lot of people love the LRBT, but I'd honestly prefer to see a demolisher with hull heavy flamer
    Well my second leman russ conversion can't have side sponsons and demolishers are always in risk of being assaulted due to their short range, also I think its best to avoid putting all my AP2 blast weapons onto one vehcile cause once that one vehcile's gone I loose my AP2 blast weapons and against armies with feel no pain or 2+ armour thats costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    My only real concern is that you use Chimeltas almost exclusively for your antitank. They're a solid performer, of course, but everybody and their pet frog is using that tactic. Your opponent will likely be going into the game with a counter-strategy to it. A backup plan would be prudent.
    Well that why I have the scout sentinels to take shots at the rear armour, would you suggest a banewolf then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Well that why I have the scout sentinels to take shots at the rear armour, would you suggest a banewolf then?
    Personally I would take a Bane Wolf over the sentinels, but if you're talking about anti-armor then whichever Hellhound variant comes with the multi-melta. I think it's called a Devil Dog? I'm considering throwing one or two of those into my own list as that would help draw fire away from my chimelta squads. On the other hand, sentinels shooting at rear armor will most definitely draw your opponent's attention. In my opinion it's really a trade off.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

The Vox network is for those do or die moments when you have to disembark, you will want those bring it down orders to work! They are also handy for get back in the fight orders because when the chimera explodes they likely will be fleeing, it keeps those vital scoring bodies from running off. I'm told some people swear by them, others swear at them.
    If it works for you, go ahead. I know what you mean about getting those crucial orders to work. Still have to be certain you want to spend the 25 points for the network.

True I'm considering taking 2 scout sentinels with heavy flamers and maybe ditching the 2 plasma guns for a 3rd?
    Not idea really, I don't use sentinels much so this is all speculation on my part. Heavy Flamers would go best on armored sentinels, I think. The insane close range you need means that your scouts might get to use their template once, possibly twice, before they are shot to pieces or assaulted to death.

Well my second leman russ conversion can't have side sponsons and demolishers are always in risk of being assaulted due to their short range, also I think its best to avoid putting all my AP2 blast weapons onto one vehcile cause once that one vehcile's gone I loose my AP2 blast weapons and against armies with feel no pain or 2+ armour thats costly.
    You'd still have your plasma veterans to back your up and while the demolisher is at risk of getting assaulted, a hull heavy flamer is a good deterrant and the AV11 on the rear armor does a lot to mitigate assault damage. Also would have to worry about sponsons

But if you are set with this load out, I don't think you need the lascannon on the hull. You probably won't be shooting at tanks much with the executioner and I don't know if the one AP2 shot at a BS3 is worth 25 points. Your call there.
    Last edited by Hockeyman506; August 12th, 2009 at 23:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 - Veteran Squad: 3 Melta Guns and 1 Vox

100 - Veteran Squad: 3 Melta Guns and 1 Vox
    i dont think you have paid for the vox's on these guys , might wanna check this.
    If he persists, put a metal dreadnought in a sock and hit him once with it. Keep it within reach during your next game.
    Rannos

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

My original thought was that the Sentinels wouldn't last long enough to serve antitank duties, but now that I try to come up with something else I really can't. And you do have a lot of medium-strength weaponry in your defensive group. I guess it's okay after all, but I would have the Sentinels start the game on the board rather than outflanking--if you give your enemy a lot of targets at the beginning then the sentinels will survive longer, and with the big guns they can threaten front armor well enough if they can't take the flank.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kIngpIn02 View Post
    i dont think you have paid for the vox's on these guys , might wanna check this.
    Nope, they shhould be 105pts

Ok Mr Proiteus. Lets have a look at your listy.

HQ:
    Looking good, Standard fir nowa days i think. Do you fight alot of drop podders? I cope pretty well without the Officer of the Fleet and really see them as wasted points. Can you use those points elsewhere? Maybe another Scout Sentinel? A doctrine on the Vets Maybe?

With all that Melta running around in those Vet Squads i'd probably change the CCS to Plasma Guns. For taking down those Marine squads or Monstrous Creatures. Melta Guns are fine but sometimes you just need those extra shots to kill those MEQs.

TROOPS:
    The Plasma Vet Squads. These guys are Expensive for sitting back there. Plasma really works best up close and personal which measn you're either advancing and wasting the Autocannons or sitting back and not using those expensive Plasma to their best.
    If you want sit back and shoot squads 3 G-Launchers can be just as nasty to light tanks and Low armoured Infantry and are a 3rd of the Cost. If MEQs are your usual Opponents then I can see why all the Plasma Death though

If the CCS is advancing with the Melta Squads and the Plasma Squads are staying back they donlt need the Vox as they will more than likely be out of range. It's only 5pts a squad but those points soon add up.

FAST:
    Aye, I'd deffinaltly go for either some Autocannon or Multilaser Sentinels here. Flanking with str6 or str7 is enough to cripple most tanks on their weaker side/rear armour. 3 Sentinels with Autocannons sould do the trick and give you some much needed anti-transport firepower.

If you're after an Anti-hoard unit i'd strongly suggest a Hell Hound or a Bane Wolf. These tanks are just the bane to Infantry. BaneWolf to MEQs and HellHound to Hoards. They're more surviveable than scout sentinels and will probably do more damage. You can after all walk away from a sentinel.

HEAVY:
    I wouldn't bother with the Lascannon on the Executioner. It's expensive for the hits you'll get from it. The 3 Plasma Cannon templates should be enough to splat what was in the enemy unit so one shot isn;t going to make much of a difference. Plus at the end of the day, If this guy is shooting Heavy tanks he's not doing his job - Killing Heavy Infantry. I really think you've got enough Plasma in your Vet Squads to not really need this tank though. A normal Russ or Demolisher will kill Hoards/MEQs just as easily and for a considerably low cost.

The other Heavy Slots are fine though. I'd grab H-Flamers on the Griffons.

OVERALL:
    You might have a spot of bother with enemy transports. Mech seems to be the way in 5th Ed and pretty much every Marine and his Gran are bringing a Rhino with them. You've not really got many guns to take these light very spamable vehicles down. I'd deffinatly grab those Autocannon Sentinels to give you that extra bit of long ranged punch to take these things down quickly. They'd also give you something to take down things like Flacons who can simply drive away from your Chimeltas and keep firing.

Looks like a Nasty list that Marines would hate.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; August 12th, 2009 at 23:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I like this Hockeyman fellow, so I will just ditto his suggestions.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast