1500 Competitive list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Competitive list

Hi,

I will be taking part in a tournament later this month at Warhammer World, I've not really done much competitive/tourney play, this is probably the closest I have to a competitive list.

Captain Kain Lantus 195pts
    -Counts as Shrike

Assualt Squad Icarius 180pts
    -8 Assault Marines
    -Sgt. Icarius w/ powersword and meltabombs

Tactical Squad Murant 195pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Plasma gun and cannon

Tactical Squad Alundus 190pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Missile launcher
    -Plasma gun

-Rhino APC w/ extra armour: 50pts

Tactical Squad Malek 195pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Missile Launcher
    -Flamer
    -Sgt. Malek armed w/ powersword

Bike Squad Stendus 175pts
    -5 Bikers
    -2 Meltaguns
    -Sargent Stendus armed w/ powersword

Dreadnought Brother Varro 130pts
    -Multi-melta
    -Heavy flamer
    -Extra armour
    -Drop Pod: 35pts

Sternguard Squad Marqus 155pts
    -Six Man squad
    -Sgt. Marqus armed w/ storm bolter

The plan is that Lantus/Shrike infiltrates with his assault squad, and the Dread Drop pods in to eliminate armour, then if it survives, assist the assault marines.

The bikes will also tank hunt, and provide some accurate, mobile bolter fire. Got a power weapon too in case they can charge a weak unit.

The Rhino squad will be used to get close to an objective and rapid fire away. With the Sternguard either using their special issue ammo to either move behind the Rhino, or snipe away with Kraken bolts. I have thought about using them as an additional tac squad, but I don't have enough to make another 10 man squad, so they would have no heavy or special weapons to play with.

I've only a single drop pod, otherwise I would have a lot more dropping in 1st turn. And I also have only a single Rhino, but I can switch it into a Heavy Bolter Razorback or a Whirlwind.

I could also use some tactical marines to form a devastator squad with either four missile launchers or four heavy bolters. No idea what I'm up against, so I need some flexibility.

I do have some other marines in the way of captains, chappies a librarian and a couple extra bikes and even six terminators terminators. I might be able to fix up a second rhino of the classic variety too and have another mobile tac. squad.

The tournament is happening on the 28th, so I will have chances to playtest and fine tune this list, but I can't buy any more models right now, but I might be able to put together more stuff from my bits box.

Thanks in advance for any C&C.

"Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Shrike is good but you have to design your list around him. The fleet ability is very powerful but only to certain units like assault marines, termies and CCW scouts. Bikes and dreads cannot use it and tac squads and sternguard probably won't need it.

Elites: Dread is ok but drop extra armour or upgrade to an ironclad (which gets if for free). Footslogging sternguard won't last long so ditch them for terminators or preferably assault termies. If you deploy Shrike with them they can infiltrate out of LOS at 12" range. With fleet you can get a first turn charge and shrike can leave the unit to join up with his jump pack buddies.

Troops: All good. I think I would prefer the flamer squad in the rhino.
    Have you considdered 10 scouts with 9BP/CCW and 1 shotgun/PF? for 165 points they can infiltrate 18.5" away in full view of the enemy. Then scoutmove, move, fleet and assault a distance of 19-24" on turn one with no way for the enemy to pull the trigger and shoot you. I would take one or two units like this as they rock with fleet.

Fast: Assault marines are Good. Take a TH or PF in case the unit (with shrike) gets locked in combat with an enemy dread. Bikes are ok but they don't benefit from fleet. 3 MM attack bikes may be better.

Heavy: None. Good..
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your first 2 Tactical Squads can not have 2 Heavy Weapons. Tac Squads are only allowed 1 for each 10!! Also you're over pricing them, the cost you're putting is more than what they're actually worth, so do the math correctly and you'll free up more points and then maybe you can slap a Powerfist on a SGT.

If you remove extra armour from the Dreadnought and the Rhino add the 10th Assault Squad guy to give you the option to Combat Squad them. It's very useful when capturing objectives and it gives you some extra points to add another power weapon.

I would seriously consider dropping the Sternguard and adding that extra Rhino plus adding a Scout Squad with Rifles will be a good investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's some good plannin'

@ Mad Cat:

Never really thought of scouts, but I only have 5 close combat and 5 bolter scouts, so that wouldn't really work. I don't have a job right now, so I cannot purchase new units. But that is a rather tasty setup! I'll remember that one!

But I do have some shooty terminators I could use in place of the Sternguard to add more assault power to my army.

However, I do have enough parts to upgrade my Dread to an Ironclad with a Hurricane bolter and chainfist. Been contemplating that conversion for a while I think I may have to go do that if I can free up sufficient points. A second dread CCW would be nice, but I don't have the parts for that right now.

Never used attack bikes before, but again, I don't have the budget to get the models, so I will have to stick with just bikes for now.

I will look at upgrading my Assault sarge to a powerfist, or if points don't permit for that, melta bombs at a minimum. I always seem to be a bit thin on anti-tank.

@ Xenosaucy:

Umm, I don't see any problems with heavy weapon options in my tac squads, they all have one each and one assault weapon.

But, I did revise the points costs and found I was quite a few points out, I'm not very good at maths so I thought doubling the base cost of five marines would give me the right points. My mistake! Props for pointing that out!

Unfortunately I don't have any sniper scouts, but I will see if I can fit in an Ironclad and convert one up. I will revise my army list and re-post it.

Thank you both for the help! Much appreciated!

EDIT: Any other ideas, I'm really stuck on what to drop and what to keep. And I can't find my hurricane bolters, so I can't go for an Ironclad right now......
    Last edited by Codicier_Valkus; August 18th, 2009 at 22:14.
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my revised army list so far, I have 110 points left, not sure what to fill it with. I don't have the parts needed to repair my Rhino right now, so I won't include it in the list unless I find the needed bits.

And hopefully I calculated my units correctly this time.....

-Counts as Shrike

Assualt Squad Icarius 215pts
    -10 Man Squad
    -Sgt. Icarius w/ powerfist

Tactical Squad Arkus 185pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Plasma gun
    -Plasma cannon

Tactical Squad Alundus 180pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Missile launcher
    -Plasma gun
    -Sgt. Alundus w/ meltabombs

Tactical Squad Darius 195pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Missile Launcher
    -Flamer
    -Sgt. Darius armed w/ powerfist

-Rhino APC w/ extra armour: 50pts

Brother Varro 130pts
    -Multi-melta
    -Heavy flamer
    -Extra armour
    -Mounted in drop pod: 35pts

Terminator Squad Oberon 205pts
    -5 Man squad
    -Heavy flamer

So far, the total is 1390.

I plan to infiltrate Shrike with the Terminators, with the jump marines following up and fleeting into assault with them, or if the enemy is weak in CC, tie up the unit adjacent to them so they don't get shot up as badly if Shrike wipes out the target in one turn.

I know Assault Terminators would be better, but I won't be able to get any in time. I also have a couple other terminators: One with a storm bolter, so I can have an extra guy (the kid was about to throw the model in the bin, so I got him for 50p and saved him. ) I also have a two termies with assault cannons. But that gets pricey real fast.

Should I use my remaining points to beef up the termies? Or should I take something else such as some bolter and CC (only have 5 each) scouts to get more scoring units?

All help is much appreciated!
    Last edited by Codicier_Valkus; August 20th, 2009 at 16:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you don't get that Rhino up and running you should just add the Cyclone Missle Launcher to your Terminators instead of the Flamer, and add a unit of Scouts with Storm Bolters and the Sgt. w/Meltabombs. That will leave you with 5 points left over to add Meltabombs on the Tac Squad w/o any! 1500 even!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good news everyone! I found the bits I need to get my MkI Rhino repaired. So I have made some amendments to the list, added meltabombs so that Dreads and Killa Kans don't catch my tactical squads with their pants down.

Also added dozer blades to my Rhinos to make sure they can rip through terrain and take cover safely. Today my my Rhino got itself immobilized turn one, putting a huge hole in my strategy.

I gave the termies an assault cannon since I don't have a cyclone ML. Also added a chainfist to make sure to make AT work a little easier. Need every dice the dice gods do not favour me.

-Counts as Shrike

Assualt Squad Icarius 220pts
    -10 Man Squad
    -Sgt. Icarius w/ powerfist, meltabombs

Tactical Squad Arkus 190pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Plasma gun
    -Plasma cannon
    -Sgt. Arkus w/ meltabombs

Tactical Squad Alundus 175pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Missile launcher
    -Melta gun
    -Sgt. Alundus w/ meltabombs

-Rhino w/ extra armour, dozer blade: 55pts

Tactical Squad Darius 200pts
    -10 Man squad
    -Missile Launcher
    -Flamer
    -Sgt. Darius armed w/ powerfist, meltabombs

-Rhino w/ extra armour, dozer blade: 55pts

Brother Varro 130pts
    -Multi-melta
    -Heavy flamer
    -Extra armour
    -Mounted in drop pod: 35pts

Terminator Squad Oberon 235pts
    -5 Man squad
    -Assault Cannon
    -1 Chainfist

Got 25 points left, should I get another powerfist should I be freeing up points for something else?

Thanks again for the help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id deffo turn the rhinos into razorbacks, that wd be an extra 6 Str 5 shots per turn, cos i presume u will be sitting the heavy weapon part of the squad in cover anyway, so reduced transport capacity wont make a difference then maybe use the last 15 points to give Sgts combi weapons (i like combi meltas lots!!!!!!!!)
    faber est quisque fortunae suae. aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could do that, but I fear that 5 men jumping out will get blasted away really fast. But I've never tried that tactic. I have some bits to make a second razorback turret for my other Rhino, so I will give it a try. Good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, your list is looking more well rounded. Couple more changes, you should add that Powerfist to the Sgt with the Meltagun Squad as they will likely be getting close to Tanks, Dreads etc.

Then remove all Melta-bombs from those who have Powerfists which are 3 units. The reason is you only get 1 Melta-bombs attack, and with the Powerfist you can get up to 3 on the charge. And since you always resolve combat against the rear, your Powerfist's will get the job done.

That should free up 15 points to add a Power Weapon the the Sgt. in the Plasma Squad. As these guys will more than likely be targeting Heavy Armoured Units like Marines the Power Weapon will come in handy. And mod him with a Bolt Pistol that way you get 4 attacks on the charge! Plus he'll still have the Melta-bombs in case a Tank drives close by!

Hope this helps and good luck!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast