Competitive? 1750 Raven+deathwing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Competitive? 1750 Raven+deathwing

Hey I've been working up a list for ravenwing and realized how intriguing a touch of deathwing in the list would look. Here it is:

Samael 205
    Belial 130

2x DW terminator squads, 2 assault cannons, 2 CF, one squad with Apoc. and banner 455

Attack squad, 6 bikes, PF, 2 melta guns 455
    -apocathery
    -standard bearer
    Attack bike, multi melta
    Land Speeder

Attack squad, 6 bikes, Power Weapon, 2 melta guns 405
    Attack bike, multi melta
    Land Speeder

The idea is to drop the termies on enemy objectives and steal/contest them (as the termies will be troops), and have some 3+ bikes turbo boosting back to my objective/s turn 4 or 5. I think I'll always be able to pull out with three objectives, and if there's room for failure you can just do the landspeeder contest.

I feel like the combined effort of a squad of bikes with an apocathery and banner with 5 termies will wipe the floor on one objective, and belial and the other five should be able to take the other. Then the assault cannons will be support fire. To add to that, Samael will be the landspeeder form to contest an objective, and maybe ram some side armor (just a thought). There will be the attack bikes and speeder, and normal bike squads to pop most vehicles that direly need to be taken down, and there will be the other two speeders to contest objectives as well, should the game go on, or I find myself with only two objectives.

What's the most effective (in this scenario) terminator combination? they have to take the objective, but also should have some shooting power to hold off enemy unites at a distance, as they will most likely be stationary.

Does my bike combination seem satisfactory?

And lastly please do not comment on the low model count... because it's bluntly obvious and I anticipate having to hold most/all units in reserve, and attempt to give my opponent first turn.

Any input/flames would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Speed; August 25th, 2009 at 01:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Where's the Deathwing Apothecary and Standard? They are both well worth their points (the latter only in an assault squad, though). It's not a bad list though.

Don't forget that all Ravenwing bikes have Teleport Homers, meaning if you turbo boost during the scout move you have a very reliable deep strike on turn 1 with one of those Deathwing squads.

What's the most effective (in this scenario) terminator combination? they have to take the objective, but also should have some shooting power to hold off enemy unites at a distance, as they will most likely be stationary.
    In Deathwing (and multiwing, do some extent) shooting is something you want to try to capitalise on, because you'll always be outnumbered. So try to resist giving all your Terminators close combat weaponry. This is a somewhat common squad layout and the one I intend to use when I build up my Deathwing. It has good CC prowess at Initiative, plenty of shooting and then hard hitting CC at Initiative 1. Furthermore, each model is different, letting you abuse wound allocation.

Sergeant: Storm Bolter/Power Weapon
    Terminator: Assault Cannon/Power Fist
    Terminator: Storm Bolter/Chain Fist
    Terminator: Storm Bolter/Power Fist
    Terminator: Twin Lightning Claws

For Belial's squad, you may want to think about using a Heavy Flamer instead, as they are more likely to go charging into CC. If you do this, considering adding the Standard Bearer for those +1 Attacks and dropping 2 x SB Terminators for Lightning Claws. Always keep at least 1CF in each squad in case you have Dreadnought or vehicle trouble.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you're not allowed to turbo boost with a scout move. It says it explicitly somewhere, but I cannot recall where exactly. But I am interested to know at what time to you roll for reserves? is it before or after movement?

I forgot about the apocathary and standard until after I wrote up the list, so I'll try to work it in and edit it in a minute or two.

The two squads of DW will inevitably get into close combat. The idea is to put them on objectives in the opponent territory. So my idea was then to put belial with the group that doesn't have the additional attack, as it will give his group him, and their group a strong fighting force as well so that I could most likely mop up any troop sitting on it.

Should I not have a TH+SS marine to get the 3+ invuln?

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Well, you're not allowed to turbo boost with a scout move. It says it explicitly somewhere, but I cannot recall where exactly. But I am interested to know at what time to you roll for reserves? is it before or after movement?
    See the Warhammer 40k Rulebook FAQ. Fourth FAQ question from the top, on the right. Bikes may turbo boost in their Scout move. If you get the first turn, this will allow you to Scout Boost 24", Move 12", Shoot, and still get a 3+ Cover save due to this sentence on page 76 of the rulebook: "In the following enemy Shooting phase, the bike benefits from a cover save of 3+ to represent the difficulty of hitting such fast-moving targets."

Reserves are rolled for at the beginning of your turn, before movement. However, a Scout move is made before the first turn, after deployment.

I forgot about the apocathary and standard until after I wrote up the list, so I'll try to work it in and edit it in a minute or two.
    Apothecary in a Deathwing squad is more than worth it, as over the course of a game he has the potential to save up to 8.6 times the cost of his upgrade in models.

Should I not have a TH+SS marine to get the 3+ invuln?
    The Dark Angels Codex is a fairly old one compared to Codex: Space Marines. If you look under the 'Storm Shield' entry, you will notice it only gives you a 4+ Invulnerable save. The 3+ Inv is a very recent addition (only in the new Codex: Space Marines) and is not backwards compatible. Sucks, I know.

+ Reply to Thread