1750 DH (No Allies) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

1750 DH (No Allies)

Howdy,

I've gathered the models and started painting the following list:

HQ

Grand Master 375
    5x GKT (1x TH + SS and 4x NFW + SB )

Elite

Inquisitor 173
    Bolter + Teleport Homer + Targeter (had 1 point left over)
    2x sage
    2x Gun Servitor w/ MM
    Rhino

Troop

10x PAGK (no upgrades) 276

10x IST 195
    2x Melta
    Chimera ML + HB

10x IST 195
    2x Melta
    Chimera ML + HB

Heavy

GK Dread 130
    TL LC + CC with SB

GK Dread 130
    TL LC + CC with SB

54 models
    1750pts

A few notes:
    -The chimeras in the ISTs are a preference thing (I'm tired of modeling Rhinos)
    -The Inquisitor is an excuse to put two multi-meltas in the list, his primary function outside of having 2 gun servitors that hang out with him is to carry the teleport homer and call down the hurt.
    -I've made certain sacrifices in the name of generating a higher model count without losing the core of 6 termies and 20 grey knights. Is this worth what I've given up? (Gambling that bodies will trump wargear.)
    -I'm shying away from taking allies.
    -Lastly, It is not a tourney list but I would like to win occasionally.

Last edited by kr0w17; August 25th, 2009 at 19:09. Reason: Can't Spell
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per
    n dot chi cot n dot rrr ah"

-Jonathan Davis "Twist", Why did I ever listen to this guy?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kr0w17 View Post
    Howdy,

I've gathered the models and started painting the following list:

HQ

Grand Master 375
    5x GKT (1x TH + SS and 4x NFW + SB )
    Good.

Elite

Inquisitor 173
    Bolter + Teleport Homer + Targeter (had 1 point left over)
    2x sage
    2x Gun Servitor w/ MM
    Rhino
    You don't need targeter on Inq as his warrior henchmen comes with targeters already. Instead spend it to buy either a targeter or frags for your GK Justicar.

Rhino's only have 1 fire point so 2 MM servitors are redundant. In order to fire the second one, you'd have to disembark and waste another round of firing by doing so. I recommend exchange the 2 sages for 2 mystics and get 3 warriors with meltaguns instead. Just keep them mobile as a anti-deepstriking, tank-busting unit.

Inq - bolter + homer
    2x mystics
    3x warriors - meltaguns
    Rhino - EA, smokes

Troop

If your opponent has ranged weaponry, then your PAGK's are sitting back and useless. You should consider maybe 1-2 psycannons to take advantage of their Shrouding. Otherwise if you footslog them towards the enemy, they won't last too long. Maybe go something like this:

8-9x PAGK (no upgrades) - 1-2x psycannons, targeter - 276

8-9x PAGK (no upgrades) - 1-2x psycannons, targeter - 276

10x IST 195
    2x Melta
    Chimera ML + HB

10x IST 195
    2x Melta
    Chimera ML + HB
    They're going to die. Keep them cheap. Get a squad of 5 + 2 meltas. If you want to keep the chimeras, fine. But I'd rather give them cheap rhinos w/EA+smokes:

5x IST - 2x meltas - 128
    Rhino - EA, smokes

5x IST - 2x meltas - 128
    Rhino - EA, smokes

Heavy

GK Dread 130
    TL LC + CC with SB

GK Dread 130
    TL LC + CC with SB

54 models
    1750pts
    Add another GK Dread - 130

Total 1735pts. You have 15pts to play around with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

jy2, thanks for the good info.

I just realized my PAGK have the Frags on the Justicars already, I do have a 3rd Dread unpainted with a MM on it, It's sub optimal and won't match my other two (FW Models)

Do you think a 3rd dread with MM arm would work or would it most likely have to have the LC and maybe a ML?

I like the Inquisitor squad, I didn't think of using Mystics as much as I did about Sages, it would seem the ability to take down a Dread who just came in on a drop pod could be pretty nice tho...

I see the point on the ISTs being 5 man strong. Your suggestions take out 12 models, and I guess that answers one of my questions. The higher model count isn't as important as maybe some of the wargear I had given up in order to go from the 40s to the 50s in models, like XA and smoke and PCs

My other army is BA and I've modeled 5 Rhinos, 2 Baal Preds and a Whirlwind over the years, and to be honest this will be my 'showcase' army (showcase being a strong word for someone who doesn't paint so well) that I plan on having lots of fun painting and modeling, and to be honest I'm just tired of looking at Rhinos. The BA are very in-your-face (at least the way I play them) but I see this army as more reactionary and about holding ground.

I definitely plan on moving towards objectives with both the ISTs and the PAGKs. I'm going to try my best to use terrain to my advantage and prevent as many 1st and 2nd round PAGK deaths as possible. Of course objective missions aren't the only missions. Weirdly I foresee the KP mission to be the most difficult to win for this army. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Those are my thoughts as I'm putting this army together at any rate.

Thanks for the help, more advice would be welcome
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Can the PAGK make use of the teleporter homer? since you already have 2 squads of IST you can move the 20 men to fast attack and deep strike.

This way you can move the 2 IST squads up with ur Inquisitor and deliver 25 grey knights+grandmaster in the midile of your opponents army

just a suggestion
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

I've given some thought to this, and it's a great idea. I think in the KP mission this might be the optimal configuration.

But it doesn't seem worth it to lose their ability to be scoring units in the objectives mission. The mission with 2 objectives, it could still work. I've only played 2 games with a few of the models listed.

If I did this I'd put Teleport Homers in both the ISTs as well, and that would be more points sunk into a vet. My original list that I posted 6 months or so back when I was just toying with the idea of putting an army together was 3 ISTs w/ THomers and 2 FAGK squads and GKT squad. I could do this easily if I dropped a few of the ISTs like jy2 suggests. I think that would make them 8 man strong, even then I could drop 3 more each and add a PsyCannon to each FAGK squad. It is definitely more aggressive.

Like I said, the Objective mission would be my least favorable mission with such a list.

But would that be better than a 3rd GK Dread w/ MM?
    "Boonm you not rrrh rot
    dot n dot n dot per rot
    dot n not n dot per

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

jy2, thanks for the good info.

I just realized my PAGK have the Frags on the Justicars already, I do have a 3rd Dread unpainted with a MM on it, It's sub optimal and won't match my other two (FW Models)

Do you think a 3rd dread with MM arm would work or would it most likely have to have the LC and maybe a ML?
    A MM dread could work. Your opponent would be too busy trying to get rid of the 2 TLLC dreads so your MM dread could possibly creep up to them to within MM range.

I like the Inquisitor squad, I didn't think of using Mystics as much as I did about Sages, it would seem the ability to take down a Dread who just came in on a drop pod could be pretty nice tho...
    For only 12pts, it makes your opponent, if he has any deepstriking units, change his entire strategy and game plan completely. I think it's well worth it. 2x sages would be good if you're packing plasmas or if your Inq has a psycannon, but since you're neither, you don't need them.

I see the point on the ISTs being 5 man strong. Your suggestions take out 12 models, and I guess that answers one of my questions. The higher model count isn't as important as maybe some of the wargear I had given up in order to go from the 40s to the 50s in models, like XA and smoke and PCs
    Honestly, a 10-man IST squad would die just as easily as a 5-man one, especially when you're racing towards the enemy before any of your knights can get there for support. And to give your IST's a teleport homer means +20pts per squad since you would have to upgrade to a sergeant. For the price of 2x10 IST's w/meltas+rhinos, you can almost get 3x5 IST's w/meltas+rhinos for just a little more. That's 1 extra threat you pose to their armor, 1 extra vehicle your opponent needs to crack and 1 extra scoring unit.

My other army is BA and I've modeled 5 Rhinos, 2 Baal Preds and a Whirlwind over the years, and to be honest this will be my 'showcase' army (showcase being a strong word for someone who doesn't paint so well) that I plan on having lots of fun painting and modeling, and to be honest I'm just tired of looking at Rhinos. The BA are very in-your-face (at least the way I play them) but I see this army as more reactionary and about holding ground.
    If you don't like rhinos, then I guess your only choices are chimeras or footslogging your IST's. But in an army where every point counts, chimeras with their guns add up quickly. You may say that their multi-lasers help in AT, but I think they only hurt them. Why? Because it forces you to only move 6" if you want to use them. Whereas with rhinos, you don't have to worry about shooting - zip 12", pop smoke and you're within melta range by turn 2 to do some serious damage to enemy armor. If you use chimeras as you use rhinos, then you've paid 30-35pts too much for them

I definitely plan on moving towards objectives with both the ISTs and the PAGKs. I'm going to try my best to use terrain to my advantage and prevent as many 1st and 2nd round PAGK deaths as possible. Of course objective missions aren't the only missions. Weirdly I foresee the KP mission to be the most difficult to win for this army. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Those are my thoughts as I'm putting this army together at any rate.

Thanks for the help, more advice would be welcome
    Your KP amount is fairly average. Any time you use guardsmen-type infantry, you'll always be giving up a fair amount of KP's. If you really want to play competitive DH, then you'll have to use Grey Knight Land Raiders. At 1750, you have GM, 3 squads of PAGK's (or 2 squads of PAGK's and 1 retinue of GKT's), and 3 LR's for only 7KP's.

Quote Originally Posted by sendaf View Post
    Can the PAGK make use of the teleporter homer? since you already have 2 squads of IST you can move the 20 men to fast attack and deep strike.

This way you can move the 2 IST squads up with ur Inquisitor and deliver 25 grey knights+grandmaster in the midile of your opponents army

just a suggestion
    FAGK's (Fast Attack GK's) are obsolete in 5th. The fact that only troops can score has all but taken them out in anything but KP games (or planetstrike, which has actually made them better if you're the attacker).

I've given some thought to this, and it's a great idea. I think in the KP mission this might be the optimal configuration.

But it doesn't seem worth it to lose their ability to be scoring units in the objectives mission. The mission with 2 objectives, it could still work. I've only played 2 games with a few of the models listed.

If I did this I'd put Teleport Homers in both the ISTs as well, and that would be more points sunk into a vet. My original list that I posted 6 months or so back when I was just toying with the idea of putting an army together was 3 ISTs w/ THomers and 2 FAGK squads and GKT squad. I could do this easily if I dropped a few of the ISTs like jy2 suggests. I think that would make them 8 man strong, even then I could drop 3 more each and add a PsyCannon to each FAGK squad. It is definitely more aggressive.

Like I said, the Objective mission would be my least favorable mission with such a list.

But would that be better than a 3rd GK Dread w/ MM?
    If you add homers to each of your 3 IST squads, that'll cost 60pts more. I'd rather give just 1 squad a homer (in addition to the Inq). 2 homers is more than enough, especially if they're protected in vehicles. Then I would try to add another squad of IST's with meltas + transport.

And if you don't have/want to use a 3rd dread, I would add some more GKT's and possibly a couple of psycannons to your GK/GKT squads. This way I can deepstrike them and shoot at side/rear armor of enemy vehicles with psycannons.

+ Reply to Thread