1500 pt IG Tank Heavy - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt IG Tank Heavy

1500 point Imperial Guard

Company Command
    2x Flamers
    Officer of the Fleet

1x Platoon
    Platoon HQ
    Commissar
    1 Squad (Lascannon/Vox)
    2 Squad (Lascannon)
    3 Squad (Lascannon)

1x Veteran Squad (3x Meltaguns)(Mounted in Vendetta)

Vendetta

LR Squadron 1
    Leman Russ BT
    LR Executioner (Plasma Cannon Sponsons)

LR Squadron 2
    Leman Russ BT
    Leman Russ BT

LR Squadron 3
    Leman Russ Demolisher (Plasma Cannon Sponsons)

The tactics behind this army are very simple. In annihilation or capture and control the platoon mobs up with the commissar and sits on the objective or in cover and shoots the lascannons whilst utilizing the officer orders. Meanwhile the LRs fire away hopefully killing pretty much everything while the Vendetta swoops in on the final turns and contests/takes the final objective if needed.

What do you think? Any weakeness or areas that can be improved?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by panzerkat View Post
    Company Command
    2x Flamers
    Officer of the Fleet

Don't waste BS4, give these guys some real guns, even if they're cheap.

1x Platoon
    Platoon HQ
    Commissar
    1 Squad (Lascannon/Vox)
    2 Squad (Lascannon)
    3 Squad (Lascannon)

Take the Commissar out of the ICS and put him in a Platoon squad so you can blob. Drop the Vox, not worth it.

1x Veteran Squad (3x Meltaguns)(Mounted in Vendetta)

All good.

Vendetta

Good.

LR Squadron 1
    Leman Russ BT
    LR Executioner (Plasma Cannon Sponsons)

Leman Russes in squadrons....not good. The additional wrecked results, ability to easily stun them all and the coherency are all big drawbacks. If you're gonna squad them, at least make them all the same type.

LR Squadron 2
    Leman Russ BT
    Leman Russ BT

Same type at least.

LR Squadron 3
    Leman Russ Demolisher (Plasma Cannon Sponsons)

I'd drop the sponsons from all. Russes are always advancing and won't fire these much plus they're expensive. Save points.
    You're Troop light in IG, which is very bad. Your tanks are also really weak to some decent shots in the back armor, it could cripple all three. I'd drop a lot of upgrades you don't need and buy a few more Troops.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    You're Troop light in IG, which is very bad.
    He is not light on troops. 45 scoring pieces in a 1500pt battle is just fine.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Good list overall. I think you would be better off with some artillery instead of the Demolisher. Better yet, put the Demo into the 2-LRBT squad and lose a standard Russ. Also, I think the Company Command squad isn't worthwhile when he only has three squads with lascannons to order around. A Primaris would work better. If you want to keep the CCS, tool him out for some CC with a powerfist and bodyguard(s)--if the enemy gets into your infantry you'll run out of scoring units fast, so a counter will be useful. (And the CCS won't need to issue orders if the infantry is about to die off.)
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Good list overall. I think you would be better off with some artillery instead of the Demolisher. Better yet, put the Demo into the 2-LRBT squad and lose a standard Russ. Also, I think the Company Command squad isn't worthwhile when he only has three squads with lascannons to order around. A Primaris would work better. If you want to keep the CCS, tool him out for some CC with a powerfist and bodyguard(s)--if the enemy gets into your infantry you'll run out of scoring units fast, so a counter will be useful. (And the CCS won't need to issue orders if the infantry is about to die off.)

Well my plan for the 3 lascannon squads is to mob them togeather with the commssar and sit on an objective in cover OR defend the tanks.

As for the CCS - their only purpose will be to use orders on the mobbed up platoon. i.e fire at my target (3x twin linked lascannons) and the get up and fight order for when they go to ground if they got shot at.

As for the Primaris Psyker - I've got the model but never acutally used him. I just find it hard to justify the point cost for a fairly medicore unit.

On another note, the obvious disadvantage with this list are the squadrons - but with that being said, remember that this is a 1500 point list so I can't imagine very much anti-AV 14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    A Primaris would work better.

Just one more thing about the primaris psycher (just looked the rules up). I don't really see how this unit is useful at all compared with the CCS unless I'm missing something. For 70 points you get a IC that has no really unique and useful skills. Nightshade (or whever it's call), is very meh while the lighting arc is basically 2-3 multi-lasers. Ok against horde (but IG already have plenty of more useful tools) but kind of cruddy against anything else.

Am I missing something here?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You're missing an extra point of leadership (for most units) and a force weapon. Also, the Primaris does (on average) a very large number of wounds in a single volley, meaning it's likely that an enemy squad will have to assign wounds to powerfists and special weapons. That's as good as having Telion around.

In your list specifically, you have a lot of large templates flying around. The downside of that is that, when an enemy squad is cut down to just a couple models, it isn't very efficient to then throw another big template at them...or two templates, thanks to squadroning. A Primaris will do a good job of finishing off those decimated units while your Russes move on to the next major threat. His ability to be effective on the move also means he's a good choice to shepherd one of your infantry squads over to an objective, should the need arise.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I dunno if he's straight up better. A CCS can do the same thing with GLs although at half the strength. A Primaris is good, I personally like the CCS for the extra Chimera and the ability to take very shiny guns.

Either run a Primaris or give the CCS better guns I'd say. Flamers can be a decent mop up gun but that;s ALL their good for, where as some other guns or a Psyker are a bit more multi-use.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread