1500 Guard For Tourney: Full Mech Or All Infantry? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which do you think is the more effecitve setup?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Full Mech List

7 63.64%
  • The All Infantry List

4 36.36%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

1500 Guard For Tourney: Full Mech Or All Infantry?

I'm wanting to get my guard army redone for a tournament in 2 months. So I've come up with two very different list both of which only requires me to buy a few extra units. Also my guard's theme is very low tech so no arial units and also no psykers and I can only have 1 command squad so with that made clear heres the all mech list...

FULL MECH LIST

105 - Command Squad: 1 Lascannon, 1 Grenade Launcher, 1 Master Of The Fleet and 1 Vox
    55 - Chimera: Heavy Bolter & Multilaser

105 - Veteran Squad: 3 Melta Guns and 1 Vox
    55 - Chimera: Heavy Flamer & Multilaser

105 - Veteran Squad: 3 Melta Guns and 1 Vox
    55 - Chimera: Heavy Flamer & Multilaser

130 - Veteran Squad: 3 Plasma Guns, 1 Autocannon and 1 Vox

130 - Veteran Squad: 3 Plasma Guns, 1 Autocannon and 1 Vox

45 - 2 Scout Sentinels: Missle Launchers

190 - Leman Russ Executioner: Heavy Bolter

190 - Leman Russ: Plasma Cannons and Heavy Bolter

150 - 2 Griffons

Total Pts: 1480
    Total No: 46 (11)
    Kill Pts: 15

Tactics

As you can see it's broken up into 3 parts you have the offensive group that is always on the move, attacking the enemy's objectives. The defensive group park on and defend the objective on my side of the board. All the while be supported by the heavy support and fast attack choices. I brought the autocannons to be provide some optional long range Anti-tank but most of the time I'll be using the Plasmaguns.

Any suggestions on the last 20pts, 2 hunter seekers or upgrade the autocannons to lascannons?

-----------
    ALL INFANTRY LIST

Someone suggested I try a mass infantry list, however the list would only have 2 leman russes which would get shot at by every anti tank weapon so I decided to go all infantry.

HQ
    140 – Command Squad:
    Master Of The Fleet, Regimental Standard, 2 Bodyguards and 1 Lascannon.

ELITES
    100 – 10 Ratlings
    65 – Marbo

TROOPS
    Infantry Platoon 1
    45 – Command Squad:
    Lascannon
    65 – Infantry Squad: Plasma Gun
    105 – 3 Lascannon Heavy Weapon Teams

Infantry Platoon 2
    45 – Command Squad:
    Lascannon
    105 – 3 Lascannon Heavy Weapon Teams

Infantry Platoon 3
    45 – Command Squad:
    Lascannon
    90 – 3 Missile Launcher Heavy Weapon Teams

130 – Veteran Squad: 2 Plasma Guns, Carapace Armour.
    130 – Veteran Squad: 2 Plasma Guns, Carapace Armour.

FAST ATTACK
    55 - 5 Rough Riders
    55 - 5 Rough Riders

Total Pts: 1500
    Total No: 141
    Kill Pts: 19

Tactics

As you can see the list is designed to use it seer numbers it advances across the board with the Veterans up front providing cover save for the rest of the army whilst the armor helps them surivive. The most common order that will be used with this army will be 1st rank fire, 2nd rank fire as I’ve seen the most durable of squad brought down with weight of numbers. Of course should something get to close the rough riders will move in to hopefully deal with the unit. Marbo is a nice unit he’ll cause some guess in my opponents firebase.

So what improvements do you think can be made and which do you feel is the more effective?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest taking out the rough riders. You don't need them as much as you would need them back in 4th ed. Just invest in some more auto cannons if you can for your line squads and you should be fine i guess. You can also include a basilisk as even though it will be the only armored unit on the board, it will be out of sight so its fine. Kill points shouldn't be a problem either; just combine your squads if you need to. In that way try to get many bodies and weapons that will complement each other. (PS. i voted for all infantry.)

Proud banner bearer of LO Codicier_Valkus's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tough choice, both can be very effective but I voted for Full Mech.

One possible use for the spare points could be heavy bolter sponsons for the Executioner to dish out more hurt to whatever withstands the the plasma. Or give your Sentinel squadron camo netting to make them a little more tricky to hit in cover.
    "Fight for justice, not revenge."
    FoW Gepanzerte Panzergrenadiers who took a wrong turn at Tunisia and magically appeared in Normandy as Panzer Lehr: Wins: 11 Losses: 8

CKO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x1)

Mech, the infantry doesnt have enough heavy weapons. The advantage of infantry list is the large amount of fire power the heavy weapons put out. You need alot more heavy weapons and I mean alot more to make the infantry list effective, that list would be flamed to death.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Infantry are expendable. Chimeras aren't. Wait for him to reply as heavy weapons have already been suggested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

I've not given any heavy weapons to the infantry squads so that I could advance them forward and use the first rank fire 2nd rank fire to pelt my opponent.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

To turn a spin on things. Mech is the Competetors choice at the moment so everyone will be tooling their own forces to tackle the new trend. A dedicated Infantry list will cause most Tournament go'ers no end of problems as they just wont be expecting it.

HQ:
    BodyGuards are a waste on this unit. Grab some Camo Cloaks instead and hide.

ELITES:
    Marbo is very useful in an Infantry list for taking out those things that you're infantry can't hande. Ratlings aren't brilliant though and i'd find a better use for those 100pts. Maybe buy a Commi Lord to boost the LD of those HWS? or Maybe just another HWS?

TROOPS:
    Plasma Guns and Lascannons on Platoons is expensive and not greatly effective. They're just not going to hit enough times to be worth that high cost. An Autocannon/Missile Launcher and a G-Launcher would work better. Yes it makes them Static but you'll cause no end of grief to those inevitable Mech armies that you'll face. Running at Mech will only get you run over.
    The Infantry guys advancing wont be able to benefit from those orders as the PCS are sitting back firing their Lascannon. Switch the PCS weapon at least so they can advance with the Infantry.

I'd maybe change the M-Launcher HWS for an Autocannon HWS. You've got The Las for heavy tank duty and the Auto' can deal with light armour and hoards. I'd grab 2 sets of Autocannon HWS just to apply the pain to those transports. Ditching the Ratlings you should have plenty of points to go round.

Vets are fine, a 3rd Plasma would be good though.

FAST:
    Rough Riders are handy to have but not brilliant. I think you'd get more use out of some Autocannon/Laser Scout Sentinels. Flanking to take down any pesky or hiding armour that your lascannons can't touch. Plus they can contest any Objectives lurking near the Board Edge.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; September 1st, 2009 at 13:13.

+ Reply to Thread