Is this the way of 1500 point IG armies? comment now! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

Is this the way of 1500 point IG armies? comment now!

Introduction

After thinking about IG all day and before bed, sad i know but that is how addicted i am ^^, i recalled a comment on how Imperial Guard play from my local gws staff.
    He said " Imperial Guard are all about blast templates, nothing but blast templates"

Back then i had ignored the idea inwardly regarding it as silly and uncompetitive with limited troops choices.

Last night i couldn't build another list in my head so i went on to build a list, based on his comments and to my surprise. This list is actually quite dirty in every way.

My friends if you though you had seen firepower before, then prepared to be blown off your seats ^^, i fell off my bed when i added the total points cost....
    ( please slap me if i am being too exaggerative, but that's just me and youth ^^ )

This list combines the element of the Imperial's armoured might, with it's mighty arsenal and its inexhaustable horde of infantry.

Hq - 220 points

1x Company Command Squad 1
    1x Company Commander
    4x Veterans
    2x Master Of Ordinance
    110 points

1x Company Command Squad 2

1x Company Commander
    4x Veterans
    2x Master Of Ordinance
    110 points

Elites - 330 points

Psyker Battle Squad 1
    1x Overseer
    9x Sanctioned Psykers
    110 points

Psyker Battle Squad 2
    1x Overseer
    9x Sanctioned Psykers
    110 points

Psyker Battle Squad 3
    1x Overseer
    9x Sanctioned Psykers
    110 points

Troops - 470 points

Infantry Platoon 1

Infantry Platoon Command
    1x Platoon Commander
    4x Guardsmen
    1x Vox-Caster
    35 points

Infantry Squad 1
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Infantry Squad 2
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Infantry Squad 3
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Infantry Squad 4
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Total Cost Of Infantry Platoon 1
    235 points

Infantry Platoon 2

Infantry Platoon Command
    1x Platoon Commander
    4x Guardsmen
    1x Vox-Caster
    35 points

Infantry Squad 1
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Infantry Squad 2
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Infantry Squad 3
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Infantry Squad 4
    1x Sergeant
    9x Guardsmen
    50 points

Total Cost Of Infantry Platoon 2
    235 points

Heavy Support - 480 points

1x Manticore Rocket Launcher
    1x Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter
    160 points

160 points

160 points

There you go, 1500 points bang on.

There's a potential of a minimual of 9 large blast templates per term and a maximum of 16 large blast templates per term.
    Plus an advancing wave of 80 guardsmen and 2 squads of 5 guardsmen as their platoon command.

130 men
    3 tanks

Is this not the way of the Imperial Guard? tanks blasting away as the tide of men move in to envolope the enemy en masse and the commandesr stay back, read the data and send in orbital bombardments to help.

To be honest, this list could be more fun than my mech list, cost a hell of alot less, painting time would be increased, plus bordem of painting so many guardsmen and packing them away ^^ and setting them out....

All C&C appreciated. Plus slagging me
    P.S. most enjoyable list that i have put together in a long time or it could be the most enjoyable. You decide!

thanks
    antique_nova

Last edited by antique_nova; September 2nd, 2009 at 14:15.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I don't think you can have 2 MoO in each CCS, I don't like the MoO anyway for its inaccuracy.

Basic guardsmen suck, spamming them increases the suck.

Manticores are neat, but they are only AV12 and as your only threat they will draw lots of fire.

PBS are handy unless psyker defense is around or somebody knocks out their Chimera (only AV12, very fragile).
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x6)

ill check that, your attitude is very anti-guard horde. I used to be like that, try to look at it as a whole again. Plus not all tanks and units will be out in the open.

thanks
    antique_nova

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it is your opinion that regular guardsmen suck. They do. Spamming them doesn't increase the suck, it decreases the suck. I'm guessing you are one of those people playing the meta-game at the moment. Just wait and see how you do when people figure out how to counter mech-guard vet spam. Regular guardsmen work fine. And I know a lot of people who will agree with me. ps. Directed at ==You==

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Basic guard squads work fine when you bring heavy weapons, running them naked is pointless.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who runs squads naked? In this case of course he should bring special and heavy weapons. But generally they don't suck.

EDIT: For some reason i didn't see he was running the squads naked. And I thought you meant guardsmen in general opposed to vets. My bad. =/
    Last edited by Imperator100; September 2nd, 2009 at 17:03.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

The psykers are a real threat but they die too quickly. Mount them in chimeras. That way the enemy has to crack open the shell before he can target your very vulnerable psyker squads with the nice side effect of diverting some anti-tank shots from your manticores.

Apart from the psykers you have no reliable AP3-and-better weaponry. The masters of ordnance's attacks scatter too much.
    Now picture a Space Marine force with a librarian. You will only make your psychic test 5/6 of the time, the enemy librarian can cancel your power 1/2 of the time, you will only have AP3-and-better 1/2 of the time and your odds of scattering 3" or more are about 50%. This all comes to an average of 15/48 AP3-or-better attacks that scatter less than 3" per turn with all three squads together. While a simple Whirlwind counter-attack will most probably wipe out a good two thirds of a squad even when in cover...

If you also account for the fact that your manticores are pretty lonely even with the psykers getting chimeras I do advise you to put some leman russ tanks in there. They deal their damage a little more reliably and they can take a lot of punishment too.

Many guardsmen are nice, but more as meat shields than as an actual threat to the enemy. If you don't use your men to cover up something that can actually put on some hurt than your many guardsmen won't be of much use.
    A full infantry platoon with your 40 lasguns and 5 laspistols would not - even if all in rapid-firing range - even manage to kill 5 marines on average. While the return fire of five surviving bolters would kill a good four of your own - not even talking of flamers, incendiary castellan ammo or thundercannons and all the like of template/blast weapons that ignore cover.
    Close combat has become even deadlier in fifth edition and you won't be able to put out any damage there either while you will be taking a lot of hurt on the receiving end. An enemy could just engage two of the guardsmen squads with each of his units and slowly hack through your troops while you can't take any serious counter-assault action or target him with shooting attacks.
    There's a lot things out there these days will make it into close combat _very_ early. You need to have something that is at least decently able at close combat. Or put more vehicles in the list that cannot be locked and shield your troops with that. And again: your guardsmen need something at their core: a heavy weapon that can do some harm.

I like the flair of the list though!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x6)

My reply after thinking about this list and play testing it with some dice and before reading the latest comments. ( 4 comments before this one )

The list is all good in firepower etc. But it lacks some things. For instance, about 1/4-1/3 of my large blasts go off target and hit somewhere far away.

Also i have an average of AP3 ordances that go waaaaay opff target and AP4 templates. It may be good against tanks, but men in cover?

It may make them roll silly amount of armour saves, but it will won't hit much if the enemy spaces them out and puts them in vehicles to get them closer to me and the AP is almost useless against MEQs.

I also found that i lack AP weaponary. The best is AP3 which isn't even reliable to hit on target 90% of the time and the psyker battle squads are random AP which doesn't help.

My reply after reading the comments

I agree that running naked guardsmen can be silly, but it will sure blind the enemy! jokes
    it isn't stupid they will shield my psyker squads with ease and contest objectives.

Plus if any squad assaults them,. they will be destroyed leaving my entire army to pick of the victorious enemy.

However, i don't think this list works as well as i hoped.

However i think it's amazing verses tau, tyranids to some extent and ig almost horde lists.

Author's Note

I rate this competitive wise, 7-7.5 out of 10, based on competitive against all and any lists that i can think of from all the other armies.

I Expect the Inquisition RecklessFable's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    210 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by antique_nova View Post
    Plus if any squad assaults them,. they will be destroyed leaving my entire army to pick of the victorious enemy. More likely only whittling down a couple of th enemy and then losing yet another squad in assault. This build is very susceptible to multicharges

However, i don't think this list works as well as i hoped. Agreed

However i think it's amazing verses tau, tyranids to some extent and ig almost horde lists.
    Bad Tau maybe. A decent Tau build with suits and railguns will terrorize this list.
    Let's look at this sideways.

Things that can actually hurt stuff:
    3 Manitcores
    3 PBSs
    2 MoOs

Stuff to block for the stuff that kills stuff:
    90 dudes with LD8 and no teeth.

Off the top of my head it is pretty clear that the list can't deal with anything like a fast assault army. You'd have to get first turn and have to roll very well against AV14 or force a lot of failed cover saves. Otherwise your blockers just become easy fodder for tank shocks.
    RecklessFable's Journey to Mediocrity (Painting an IG army)
    I've been addicted to World of Tanks lately and neglecting my IG... But it is so... much... fun!

+ Reply to Thread