2000 pt. army list help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pt. army list help

OK, so i have an army list, it's my list I'm going to use for casual play, against Tau and Orks, and it's 1500 pts. But I want to make it into a 2000 pt. tournament army, and for that I need some help. First, here's the list:

HQ
    Terminator Chaplain xxx pts.

Troops
    Two ten-man tactical squads in razorbacks with a meltagun and a powerfist 240 pts. each

10 Scouts with snipers, one with a heavy bolter, camo cloaks on all, and Sergeant has Melta Bombs 185 pts.

Elites
    Assault Terminators with TH/SS in a LRR that has Extra Armor and a Multi-Melta 465 pts.

Heavy Support
    Two Vindicators with Dozer Blades 120 pts. each

Total: 1500 pts.

The Chaplain goes with the Termies in the LR, while the troops combat squad, so the heavy weapons can fire, and the 3 bolters, meltagun, and sergeant can go do whatever needs doing in the razorbacks. The scouts combat squad to take up different positions, and attack multiple enemy units. The Vindicators provide, well, heavy support.

Thanks,
    Carnax

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Ok, C and C
    Quote Originally Posted by carnax View Post
    OK, so i have an army list, it's my list I'm going to use for casual play, against Tau and Orks, and it's 1500 pts. But I want to make it into a 2000 pt. tournament army, and for that I need some help. First, here's the list:

HQ
    Fine
    Troops
    Two ten-man tactical squads in razorbacks with a meltagun and a powerfist 240 pts. each
    I Personally dont like PowerFists,

10 Scouts with snipers, one with a heavy bolter, camo cloaks on all, and Sergeant has Melta Bombs 185 pts.
    Like it, also like the HB, IMO, much beta than the ML, MEltabombs arnt much use on this, Add them to one of the tactical squads if you like them (like me!)

Elites
    Assault Terminators with TH/SS in a LRR that has Extra Armor and a Multi-Melta 465 pts.
    Swap for a normal landraider, as can be use from further away, and all your AT are extremely close range,

Heavy Support

Very close range list,be careful about that. Vindicators are 24", melta bombs assault, multi melta and meltaguns are less than 24", If taking on a mech list by a skilled player, they can easily avoid your close range AT, Like a fast skimmer eldar list. Thats why I would feild a normal LandRaider.
    When faced by an army of awesomness, RUN.

Adding Rep is always nice for everyone!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a good fun list to use on casual play. If you're looking for more of a competitive edge on 2,000 points definitely add some Fast Attack to this list. Bikes will help chase down pesky units and can also be used to quickly outflank tanks to hit side or rear armor. Put some Melta's on them obviously.
    An Assault Squad will help you contest objectives and clear space for your Troops to claim them. Plus the added effect of Fast Attack that causes your opponent to lose focus and forget about the Vindicator's sneaking up also helps.
    The LRR needs to be switched though to the Crusader for it's extra range, and switch the Chaplain to a Jumpy one to help out the Assault Squad.
    So here's a list not too many changes as the original one is good enough just add some more firepower.
    HQ
    Jump Pack Chaplain w/Digital Weapons, Meltabombs xxx pts.

Troops
    2x10 Tactical Squads Meltagun, 1 ML 1 Plasma Cannon Sgt. w/Powerfist in Razorbacks 485 pts.

1x10 Scouts 9 Snipers, 1 Heavy Bolter, Camo Cloaks 170 pts.

Elites
    Assault Terminators with TH/SS in LRC w/Extra Armor and Multi-Melta 465 pts.

Fast Attack
    10 Assault Squad 2x Flamer, Sgt. w/Powerfist 225 pts.

2 Attack Bikes w/Multi-Melta's 100 pts.

3 Bikes, 1 Attack Bike, 2 Meltagun, Sgt.w/Powerfist & Multi-Melta on Attack Bike 185 pts.

Heavy Support
    2 Vindicators with Dozer Blades 240 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.
    Last edited by xanosaucy; September 10th, 2009 at 07:35.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Hey there, Carnax,

sorry I couldn't reply any earlier. Thanks for notifying me by PM!
    xanosaucy's suggestion of stacking up on fast attack is the way to go. The current list is good versus Tau and Orks, but if you want to play tournament you will need all-comers. I wouldn't recommend xanosaucy's bikes and attack bikes versus Tau und Orks, but versus all-comers they are a very useful addition.

Now the problem is that I do not know if you will actually accept any changes of the current list for a tournament setting or if you only request help on how to fill in the remaining 500 points. I am going to leave the current list as a fixed basis for now and just comment on what you could add.
    There is a lot of alternatives, depending on whether you want a shooty army, a fast hitting army, an assaulty army, a heavily-armored army, etc...

A full squad of sternguard would add a lot of flexible, hard hitting shooting power against any non-vehicles, and if you pay for a handful of combi-meltas they can also deal with the latter.
    Assault and bike squads and speeders can add to your mobility and speed and assaultiness, while bikes and attack bikes and speeders can be excellent tank hunters.
    A second land raider (of any type, probably transporting an assault squad) would add support fire and more armor to your army, leaving the enemy anti-tank spammed with razorbacks, vindicators and land raiders...
    If you wanted more of a gunline feel you could even add devastators to stand back and pull the trigger along with your heavy weapon combat squads.
    You could also buy a dreadnought in a drop pod as a tank hunter and linebreaker, if you buy some other fast units that secure instant support of the dreadnought (because on his own he won't survive all too long in the midst of the enemy). Though a single one is probably not too good an idea, and to get a second one in on turn 1 you'd need a third drop pod. But you could take two dropping dreadnoughts and a drop pod with sternguard, for example, etc...

Since there is so many alternatives we cannot possibly go into detail without you pointing the direction first. You tell us where you want to go and we help you get there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heya

(just read the last section for spending... The 3 big ones are just a tired + bored space marine player spending time on the internet...But hey! It makes sense on some points!)
    I like the basis of your army but there is a few things that I would do diffrent:

1. Your tactical marine squads have both a melta gun and a power fist for Anti armour... Unless you're spliting them up in combat squads with melta in one and the power fist in one I would exchange one of them(melta could be changed to something else for another task like a flamer (orcs weap blood when facing flamers...) or a plasma gun if your fighting a opponent with 2+ armour save... And if you exchange the power fist you'll be saving alot of points...
    I also dislike power fists in my marine squads - can't find any great use for them cause in melée your usally ontop in combats you choose(Die 3 toughness 5+ armoursave Fire warrior!) and if your fighting something that requires a powerfist, that "Something" is usally gonna slaughter all your marines anyhow cause power fists attack after everyone else:<... Sure they are great for anti armour but if you go into melée with anything less than a land raider 10 frag grenades should get the job done and if you gotta attack a landraider you'll still be needing a roll of 6 to even glance it with your powerfist.

2. assault terminators: Really great for taking on other elite units with armour ignore (none-assault terminators /grey knights) But... They are slow... Slow in the meaning that if someone wrecks/imobilise your land raider they are a slow moving unit which lack any ranged power at all.

Would change them for 4-5 grey knights with pzychic power : hammerhand and holocaust (hammerhand gives your captain double his strenght + his nemesis force weapon... thats a 4+4+2=10 str attack that ignores armour ...love at first sight for a deamonhunter player and a pain for the others since there is no minus on having it like a power fist which strikes last. Holocaust is a I1 S5 large blast used In melée...Orcs massed together in one big pile...Ka-boom - nuff' said). All greyknight terminators have s6 + armour ignore so they wound all other infantry on 2+(excluding invurnable saves).

Well ... I like greyknight... Most awesomelooking infantry in the game with awesome anti infantry, anti elite, survivability with 2+ armour save... anti tank with hammerhand, good at range with a choice of either a heavy flamer (which ignores invurnable saves) or a 3 shot s6 wep that also ingores invurnable saves ... but that ain't the best part... they have alot of awesome special rules just from being greyknights also...
    So Assault terminators...I dislike using em... good survivability... and the only unit that could actully beat greyknights in a standoff xD... well matter of taste I guess... would switch em for normal terminators if grey knights are out of the question: P

3. Land raider redeemer - would change it to a crusader if you want anti infantry due to the crusaders longer range... but I would prefer using a normal land raider instead... you're kinda short on long range Anti tank and a normal landraider is most likely the best a space marine army can field for that purpose... or you could do as me and Field 2 land raiders: P (crusader with multi melta and a normal one)

Just relised what a wall of text I've written... xD

Well How to spend extra 500 :
    Field another land raider(normal one) - one is a irritating factor for your opponent...2 is a pain
    Tactical marines are never wrong but your army is kinda short ranged, I would add some fast attack like some people already sugested or some more ranged power(More lascannons is never a bad thing).
    Plasma guns are unstable (1/9 that a marine will burn himself on it) but they are great for killing elite units like mega armoured nobs, other space marines(especially terminators).
    And since im obsessed with Greyknights I gotta say : greyknights with a brother captain xD

And also a question : "Two ten-man tactical squads in razorbacks" - ain't razorbacks 7 man transports? - you mean rhinos right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kendal View Post
    And also a question : "Two ten-man tactical squads in razorbacks" - ain't razorbacks 7 man transports? - you mean rhinos right?
    Razorback have a transport capacity of six models. He means razorbacks as he intends to combat squad his troops - he actually stated this in the description of his army towards the end of his post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by carnax View Post

HQ
    I like the chaplain as well. I might get rid of the armor though as I would rather have the extra attack then the 2+ sometimes, but that is just preference. Also you could replace him with Cassius who is still tough as nails comes with a combi-flamer that fires hellfire rounds and would save you 5 points still doing the same job.

Troops
    Good stuff. I like the Power Fists on Tac. Squads, if you have the points. If not take a look at Red Archers Power weapon thread and make an informed decision. Any heavy weapon choices, or are you keeping them light fire support? Even a Missile Launcher would go a long way to help you with some longer range AT then you have now. Remember the Plas. Cannon is only 5 points and would help keep those Tau 2+ at bay.

I like sniper scouts with camo cloaks. Great for holding positions. Who is going to be holding your points though? The Scouts or the heavy portion of your Tac. Squads?

Elites
    As everyone else said I would change the type of LR here, the Terminators are good though.

Heavy Support
    Two Vindicators are crazy good when they work right, and they probably will.

To make it to 2000 you could add a full A. Squad with a Power Fist and 2 flamers. This can clear off objectives for you, or block units attempting to flank your Vindicators. You could switch your Chaplain to a JP one and have him roll with these guys if you would rather they delivered the main punch and the Terminators did their own thing. Lastly and this may be just me but I would toss in a Drop Pod Iron Clad Dreadnought with Dual Heavy flamers. Leave him in reserve so you do not get mauled on turn one and then let him loose. The Tau will hate you for it and he will just mow orks off of a point. IF he dies well they still need to get that DP off the point. Love that unit. GOOD LUCK!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pingl000 View Post
    Lastly and this may be just me but I would toss in a Drop Pod Iron Clad Dreadnought with Dual Heavy flamers. Leave him in reserve so you do not get mauled on turn one and then let him loose.
    Unfortunately this won't work. The drop pod assault special rule forces you to drop half your pods (rounded up) on turn 1, so if you only have one pod there's not much choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though it doesnt say that you cant reserve if you only have one pod. MUST is pretty clear language though. People in the local GW have been placing their one pod in reserve. I'll have to bring it up and see what they think. Even so, dropping a 13/13/10 dread onto the flank of any army forces them to deal with that situation or pay a big price. If droped onto a point, they need to fully destroy both the pod and the Dread to keep it from being contested. Thats plenty of shooting that isnt going into those two vindicators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually like pingl000 suggestion the most. The assault squads are good, that's mainly what I wanted, fast attack. The Ironclad Dreadnought in a Drop Pod actually sounds pretty good. I don't have any plasma cannons, but I'd probably use the points elsewhere. Yes the tac squads have a missile launcher. I'll also find a way to magnetize the LR, so it can be either Crusader or Redeemer, with all the different options. I'd also magnetize the Ironclad Dreadnought, for similar reasons.

Thanks,
    Carnax
    Last edited by carnax; September 12th, 2009 at 01:18. Reason: edits

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast