1500 point competitive mixed Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 point competitive mixed Guard

Hi all, I've been reading this forum for a while but this is my first post, any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

HQ

Company Command squad, regimental standard and three snipers - 80pts
    (Hiding at the back giving orders, possibly forcing some pinning or hurting a monster and not giving away a kill point)

Troops

Platoon command in chimera with multi laser and heavy flamer - 165pts
    power weapon
    1 heavy flamer
    3 flamers
    (Driving around setting fire to things then charging when their chimera eventually dies)

3 infantry squads with missile launchers - 195pts
    (All linked together basically to draw fire from my vets/sit on an objective and maybe kill a tank or two)

1 Commissar with power weapon - 45pts
    (linked to the infantry to stop them running like girls and to give the unit a chance of hurting armoured opponents in close combat, not that I'll be deliberately charging with guard, but just in case)

Veteran squad with 3 multimeltas in chimera with multi laser and heavy bolter - 155pts
    (doing what melta vets do)

Veteran squad with 3 grenade launchers - 85pts
    (Will start in the vendetta and be dropped off on an objective at the first oppurtunity)

Fast attack

Scout sentinel with autocannon - 40pts
    (trying to appear behind the enemy if possible and get some rear armour shots in, ideally i'd have a pair of these but i couldnt make it work points wise)

Vendetta with three twin linked las cannons - 130pts
    (my main tank/monster killer)

Devil dog hell hound - 120pts
    (my ap1 insurance against deep striking terminators, if you can think of a cheaper way to kill terminators please let me know)

Heavy support

1 leman russ battle tank with lascannon and heavy bolter sponsons -185
    (The two of these are my generalist anti-everything units)

2 linked griffon - 150
    (These puppies are there to rain hell on hoardes, and with their accuracy im hoping they might hurt MEQ's as well but thats up to the armour roll gods, who hate me)

Total 1500 points.

My main conscern with this list is the sheer number of kill points available to my opponent, however my thinking is that in objective based games which is 2/3rds of all games, they're going to be pretty competitive. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Apologies for my terrible spelling.
    Cheers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Baffscruff View Post
    HQ

Company Command squad, regimental standard and three snipers - 80pts
    (Hiding at the back giving orders, possibly forcing some pinning or hurting a monster and not giving away a kill point)

Snipers are ho hum, especially with just 3. A HW would make better use of the BS4 and Camo-Cloaks would make them a lot harder to kill.

Troops

Platoon command in chimera with multi laser and heavy flamer - 165pts
    power weapon
    1 heavy flamer
    3 flamers
    (Driving around setting fire to things then charging when their chimera eventually dies)

Drop the PWeapon, a few S3 attacks won't be doing much most games.

3 infantry squads with missile launchers - 195pts
    (All linked together basically to draw fire from my vets/sit on an objective and maybe kill a tank or two)

Fine, include Grenade Launchers if you find the points for template death.

1 Commissar with power weapon - 45pts
    (linked to the infantry to stop them running like girls and to give the unit a chance of hurting armoured opponents in close combat, not that I'll be deliberately charging with guard, but just in case)

He's good. I prefer a Standard in the CCS, it's cheaper and spreads to everyone but some people like Commissars.

Veteran squad with 3 multimeltas in chimera with multi laser and heavy bolter - 155pts
    (doing what melta vets do)

Switch the Chimeras to Heavy Flamers, you're getting up close anyways. The Vets have Meltas, not multi-meltas just so you know. :p

Veteran squad with 3 grenade launchers - 85pts
    (Will start in the vendetta and be dropped off on an objective at the first oppurtunity)

Fine.

Fast attack

Scout sentinel with autocannon - 40pts
    (trying to appear behind the enemy if possible and get some rear armour shots in, ideally i'd have a pair of these but i couldnt make it work points wise)

Run at least 2 in a squad. One might not do anything and get shot down, they're also great at charging small gun units so 2 is more reliable there as well.

Vendetta with three twin linked las cannons - 130pts
    (my main tank/monster killer)

Good.

Devil dog hell hound - 120pts
    (my ap1 insurance against deep striking terminators, if you can think of a cheaper way to kill terminators please let me know)

Run a MM on it to keep it a threat after the Cannon gets popped off, it often will.

Heavy support

(The two of these are my generalist anti-everything units)

I say run them naked with a HF. Russes should be kept cheap and it's weapons don't mesh with it's MEQ killing job. You can save a few points here better spent bumping up other units. Also, you can't fire all those guns on the move and Russes should keep moving.

2 linked griffon - 150
    (These puppies are there to rain hell on hoardes, and with their accuracy im hoping they might hurt MEQ's as well but thats up to the armour roll gods, who hate me)

These are fine. Camo would be nice but a 4+ cover is fine as well.
    Hope that helps.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Autocannons > Missile Launchers, Demolisher > LRBT, 2 > 1 (it's better to have 2 similar/same units than 2 different once).

Swap your DD for another Vendetta and stick a PCS and SWS inside, cheap and scoring with lots of short-ranged firepower.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i agree with pricne on the hq and the heavy support the most. your tanks need to stay cheap, because the enemy will fire on them first most of the time. and i can gauranteee you don't want to lose a blinked up tank. naked russes of any variants work best for points like these.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You have only 13 kill points in the list. That's not bad at all. I like your list as it is; it has much more variety than is normally seen but looks like it'll work well together.

if you can think of a cheaper way to kill terminators please let me know
    You aren't making a lot of use of the CCS's orders. Why not give the PCS's Chimera to the CCS and give the CCS plasma guns instead of the standard & sniper rifles? Not only is four rapidfiring plasma guns a good TEQ-killer but the officer can use the BiD and FomT orders on his own squad while they're in the Chimera (as well as the blobbed infantry squad outside). That lets the unit double as both a TEQ and Monstrous Creature killer. You won't need the standard; all of your infantry are either mobile or have a Commissar anyway. Use the PCS as either a sniper or counter-charge unit. If you need points to manage this, drop the Sentinel.
    Last edited by Intrepid; October 2nd, 2009 at 23:24.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

intrepid makes some good points that me and pricne have overlooked or haven't had the eneergy to type out so much or just forgot.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread