Karinak Frostfiend's Mountain Patrol (1750) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Karinak Frostfiend's Mountain Patrol (1750)

The mountains of Fenris are treacherous and deadly, and such is their nature that should any insidious enemy craft manage to infiltrate Fenris, the warriors aboard can remain hidden in the high peaks for years. Many will freeze to death, but others, such as orks, are naturally resistant to the biting cold, and yet others, in particular the minions of Chaos, have infernal means of negating the deadly blizzards.
    Karinak Frostfiend, who won his name after single-handedly destroying a Chaos patrol one-by-one in the depths of a freezing blizzard, is the first line of defence against such infiltrators. He, and a hand-picked pack of hardened warriors, spend many months amongst the peaks of Fenris, searching out and destroying those who would bring harm to the Space Wolves. Completely self-sufficient, they will return to the Fang only when a veteran member of the patrol falls in battle, in order to bring him proper interrment and allow recovery of his geneseed in sterile conditions.
    Karinak has a natural bond with the wolves of Fenris, and they will swarm around the patrol, providing warning and seeking out foes. Several members of his patrol, including himself, ride atop mighty thunderwolves, and their howling charge has caused many opponents to flee rather than stand and fight, usually to their deaths.
    A favoured tactic of Karinak is to track his foe, wait until they pass through a natural valley, and then, using melta charges set by the Wolf Scouts, set off avalanches to crush the majority of their force, then rush in and slay the bewildered survivors.

I'm a big fan of themed lists. The first Wolves list I wrote was simple, deadly, and I looked at it, blinked, realised it was exactly the same as 90% of the marine lists I play against (you know, wolf lord and terminators in a LR crusader, a couple of squads of marines, some long fangs, and a vindicator...) and threw it away. This, I hope, might be just as effective, if a little bizarre. The idea is simple: a patrol that acts ENTIRELY on its own, and uses nothing that could become stuck in a snowdrift or be unable to fit through narrow ravines. That means no land vehicles, dreadnoughts, no terminators, and no droppods.

Karinak Frostfiend (Canis Wolfborn)
    2 wolves

Wolf Lord Ragnarok Endbringer

Thunderwolf mount, Runic Armour, saga of warrior born, storm shield, wolf tail talisman, 2 wolves

Wolf Lord Hrulf the Hammerfist

Thunderwolf mount, saga of Beastslayer, runic armour, thunder hammer, storm shield, 2 wolves

5 Wolf scouts
    melta gun, melta bombs

10 grey hunters – 2x plasma guns, fist

10 blood claws – fist (I know these don't really fit into the idea of a hardened, elite patrol, but hey)

4 thunderwolf cavalry
    storm shields, 1x power fist

13 fenrisian wolves

land speeder – 2x heavy flamers (I like to think this is less hindered by the terrible weather than other vehicles would be, if it stays low or lands in high winds, and that the heavy flamers would provide invaluable support should the patrol hit obstacles of ice... it might also provide valuable scouting reports)

Tactics: the idea is to run the thunderwolves together as a sort of nob biker equivalent unit of doom, while the troops provide fire (or choppy) support. The doggies would target soft or small targets, the landspeeder soften up big units of troops, and the scouts hopefully pop a vehicle or two.

Thoughts?

Guardian of DMC's mighty pink thong.

Free Cookies Inside!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

A Vespertine Viper's Nest Of Sublime Wickedness
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

And here is the list I'm planning to use when I'm not feeling very nice

Canis Wolfborn
    2 wolves

Wolf Lord
    Thunderwolf mount, saga of Beastslayer, thunder hammer, storm shield, 2 wolves

Iron Priest
    3 cyberdoggies, 3 thrall-servitors, thunderwolf

5 wolf scouts
    melta

10 blood claws - fist

rhino

10 blood claws – fist

rhino

4 thunderwolf cavalry
    storm shields, 1x power fist

12 fenrisian wolves

5 long fangs + pack leader – 3 plasma cannons, 2 heavy bolters

total: 1746

More ablative wounds, a couple of transports, more dakka, and no serious decrease in efficiency. I found having THREE wolf lords was a wee bit overkill in the game I played last night.
    Last edited by Fenrix; October 4th, 2009 at 12:33. Reason: A few minor changes
    Guardian of DMC's mighty pink thong.

Free Cookies Inside!

+ Reply to Thread