1500 SW Competitive? - First SM Army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 SW Competitive? - First SM Army

A friend is purchasing me a War Hound for a birth day present so I figured I needed a SM army to go with them. As said this is my first space marine army (my usual army is 'Nids). I'm looking for this army to be competitive but I'm not sure what makes up a good list. Following is what I've come up with:

UPDATED LIST ON POST 7

***HQ***
    Njal Stormcaller, Lord of Tempests
    {ATTACHED - TROOP 1}

***HQ***
    Rune Priest
    Chooser of the Slain
    Powers: Living Lightning, JotWW
    {ATTACHED - TROOP 2}

***HQ***
    Rune Priest
    Chooser of the Slain
    Powers: Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
    {ATTACHED - TROOP 3}

***TROOPS*** - 1
    7x Grey Hunter
    1x Power Fist
    1x Meltagun
    1x Dedicated Rhino

***TROOPS*** - 2
    7x Grey Hunter
    1x Power Fist
    1x Meltagun
    1x Dedicated Rhino

***TROOPS*** - 3
    7x Grey Hunter
    1x Power Fist
    1x Meltagun
    1x Dedicated Rhino

***HEAVY SUPPORT*** - 1
    5x Long Fang
    1x Squad Leader
    2x Missle Launcher
    2x Plasma Cannon
    1x Las Cannon

***HEAVY SUPPORT*** - 2
    5x Long Fang
    1x Squad Leader
    2x Missle Launcher
    2x Plasma Cannon
    1x Las Cannon

***HEAVY SUPPORT*** - 3
    5x Long Fang
    1x Squad Leader
    2x Missle Launcher
    2x Plasma Cannon
    1x Las Cannon

1500 Points

Let me know if you'd switch out the Fangs for tanks, drop the fists on grey hunters or whatever. I'm looking for a LOT of input here. Nothing really has to stay but I do like grey hunters as my troop choice.

Last edited by DanTheManGum; October 6th, 2009 at 14:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

I don't have the SW Codex my self, but don't you think 3 squads of long fangs is a little risky? I'm not sure of the price and their potential, but I'll wager that its still somewhat of a risk given their small numbers (Though I'm sure its compensated by their lethality).

Perhaps cut a squad of LF and add some razorback as transport for the other 2 long fangs squad. Maybe use the remainder of the point for a Land speeder typhoon or some other accessible units : Cyberwolves or that stand alone elite unit (The one with the reverse kill point) if they're affordable.

But like i said i don't have the codex and do not play space wolves, so take it as noob advise
    Last edited by seismic; October 5th, 2009 at 18:34.
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grey Hunters can take 2 special weapons afaik (at 10 models?), so use this to take 2 for each squad.
    Can you really take 5 heavy weapons on the Longfangs? Even if you can, it is a bit risky to loose a heavy weapon with each wound scored on them. Every unit with expensive weapons need some wounds treshhold/buffer.
    Can you really take 3 HQs?

Overall it looks very single-sided, don't think it is very competitive.
    Also it looks pretty illegal to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

I'm pretty sure that they (The space wolves) can field up to 4 HQ. I believe rune priest are 2 for one HQ selection. Similarly long fangs can field up to 5 HW, but its not something I'd consider since their main advantage (Splitting fire on several targets) requires the squad leader to withhold fire... so the purpose of 5 HW is lost if the squad numbers 5.

Its a very unorthodox chapter
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    155 (x2)

Ok, well I am not really sure on HQs yet, I am still pushing points around on them to see what is really worth it, so I am going to leave them alone for now.

The troop choices look good overall though I would prefer to see them be at least one more man strong each.

As for the long fangs vs predators, I think that your big issue here is that your only vehicles are the Rhinos, which means that all of your opponent’s tank busting capability will be focused on the Rhinos and since they are so lightly armored they will fall quickly and not be able to do their job effectively. The cure to this is to take some predators to attract the fire, so if you were to take 2-3 preds rather than the long fangs you could keep your rhinos alive and also have the points to strengthen up your GHs. If you take my preferred outfitting of predator (TL-AC & x2 LC) then you could afford to take 3 of them + a dread or 2 land speeders for the cost of the 3 Long Fang squads, and that would further mechanize your army making all your vehicles stronger.

Now if you wanted to go the other route and keep your army more marine based, you may consider using drop pods or foot slogging your GHs in larger squads.
    Primary Army: Tyranids; Secondary Army: Space Wolves

It's Illeagle, but it' s not that illeagle. - John Public

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also consider this. If you put your long fangs in a razorback then that squad can essentially shoot at three targets since the razorback can fire at a seperate target as well. But I do agree with platypus that you need something to distract from your rhinos or they wont make it across the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seismic View Post
    I'm pretty sure that they (The space wolves) can field up to 4 HQ. I believe rune priest are 2 for one HQ selection. Similarly long fangs can field up to 5 HW, but its not something I'd consider since their main advantage (Splitting fire on several targets) requires the squad leader to withhold fire... so the purpose of 5 HW is lost if the squad numbers 5.

Its a very unorthodox chapter
    I was under the impression that the squad consisted of 6 units (why I have 5 heavy + Squad Leader). Does split-fire have to be exact split (2man-2man vs a 2man-3man)? After the critiques I've tweaked the list. Let me know what you all think.

***HQ*** - 1
    Njal Stormcaller, Lord of Tempests
    {ATTACHED - TROOP 1}

***HQ*** - 2
    Rune Priest
    Chooser of the Slain
    Saga of the Beastslayer
    Powers: Living Lightning, JotWW
    {ATTACHED - TROOP 2}

***HQ*** - 3
    Rune Priest
    Chooser of the Slain
    Powers: Murderous Hurricane, JotWW
    {ATTACHED - TROOP 3}

***TROOPS*** - 1
    9x Grey Hunter
    1x Power Fist
    1x Meltagun
    1x Dedicated Rhino

***TROOPS*** - 2
    9x Grey Hunter
    1x Power Fist
    1x Meltagun
    1x Dedicated Rhino

***TROOPS*** - 3
    9x Grey Hunter
    1x Power Fist
    1x Meltagun
    1x Dedicated Rhino

***HEAVY SUPPORT*** - 1
    4x Long Fang
    1x Squad Leader
    2x Missle Launcher
    2x Las Cannon
    1x Dedicated Razorback

***HEAVY SUPPORT*** - 2
    1x Predator
    2x Sponson Lascannons

***HEAVY SUPPORT*** - 3
    1x Predator
    2x Sponson Lascannons

Total is still 1500 points

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

the long fangs are much better than preds and that's very true. stick with the long fangs and stick them in cover. it is a very erm..... basic marine tactic. lots of men and squads of firepower covering your advice. it lacks a really kill unit, even with your JOTWW. to boost this lists competitiveness. also you would find flankers very hard to deal with.
    very very blanaced and a pain for anyone with good CC units who do not wipe out your JOTWW quick enough. but not gt competitive due to it's erm simpleness?
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread