1500 Gunline (Both) - I think I might finally be onto something - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Gunline (Both) - I think I might finally be onto something

HQ:

CCS + Standard + 3 snipers + MoO + camo cloaks: 130
    Relatively cheap HQ (at lesat compared to a plasma squad in a chimera, which is what I normally do for the CCS), the standard will anchor the gunline as the snipers pick away at whatever needs killing. MoO usually hits for me just once per game, but that makes its points back.

Elites:

Inquisitor + psycannon + 3 veteran guardsmen + 3 plasma guns + 2 mystics + sage: 87
    Psycannon deals with demons/seer council/whatever, and the veterans have a 4+ save with plasmaguns for just 20 points each - I can't pass up that deal. I'm sure everyone knows what mystics do. I'll stick these guys in a chimera. Quick question: does the Mystic's ability against deep strikers still apply when they're in a vehicle? If not, I'll have to reconsider making this a mobile plasma unit.

Psyker Battle Squad + 5 psykers + chimera: 165
    My group has a bunch of Necron players and an Ork player, Weaken Resolve is great against Warriors/Nobs.

Troops:

PCS + 4 flamers + chimera: 105
    I love this configuration. Cheap, can take points, and is great to run around the gunline flaming everything that needs to be flamed.

Infantry Squad + Grenade Launcher + Lascannon + chimera: 130
    They won't actually ride the chimera - they'll start disembarked, and then the inquisitor and friends will hop on.

Infantry Squad + Grenade Launcher + Lascannon: 75
    I'll cluster my infantry squads around my tanks for the cover save.

Veterans + 3 melta guns + chimera: 155
    Everyone knows what this unit does.

Fast Attack:
    Scout Sentinel + autocannon: 40
    Scout Sentinel + autcannon: 40

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ + Plasma Sponsons: 190
    Kills stuff dead. It wouldn't be an IG army without at least a little bit of AV14.

2 x Hydra Flak Tank: 150
    Kills more stuff dead. Transports, specifically.

Manticore: 160
    And kills yet more stuff dead. Good anti-horde, will demechanize a mechanized army.

Total 1499

Are there any suggestions? I tried to explain what each unit is for, but mostly it's "sit and shoot".

Last edited by Makr; October 11th, 2009 at 06:44.
    My avatar is from when I tried to draw myself in MSpaint a year or so ago.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Grenade launchers and lascannons don't really go well together, I would drop the grenade launchers.

Veterans + 3 melta guns + chimera: 155

With only one, its not going to last very long.

Everything else is good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have stolen my HQ sniper idea. I have yet to try it, but I think it adds that x-factor.
    Those hydras in a squardon will limit their effectiveness. 8 shots will almost guarantee a rhino dies, but the 4/5 others will still be there.
    It doesn't say in the DH codex that the mystics can not be in a vehicle.
    I hope the CCS will be chilling with the lascannon squads, otherwise those lascannons will waste alot of points.
    Apart from those concerns, it looks good.
    84th Valhallan: 3/1/0
    Inquisition forces from the 84th Valhallan and Adepta Soroitas: 6/6/1
    "Real men roll 5s"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ sonoftheemperor:

What special weapon should I run on my infantry squads then, if any?

@Valhalla:

Do I somehow have a prerelease codex or something? Mine says each Hydra gets two twin-linked shots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Hydras get 4 shots each, it's pretty sweet. 2 TL autocannons.

I wouldn't go for lascannons in infantry squads unless you blob up with a vox. You can get better tankbusters anywhere.

I'd prefer HB Servitors to Guardsmen for the range and since they complement the psycannon. Mystics work fine inside vehicles.

Another Vet Squad would be handy, a solo unit will get blown apart pretty quickly.
    Last edited by ==Me==; October 13th, 2009 at 18:41. Reason: Freudian slip lols
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

leman russ won't really be shooting +2 armour saves so the plasma cannons won't help when it shoots hordes that much. and the manticore isn't as good for survivability and accuracy as two griffons.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hydra with four shots? where does it state this in the codex? I found it strange why it had 4 barrels and only 1 twinlinked autocannon. so it has 2 twinlinked autocannon ( 4 shots )
    Beer! Helping ugly people have sex since 1862.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

pg. 102 (heavy support page) says they have 2 twin-linked hydra autocannons.

Also, I'm a big supporter of plasma sponsons of standard Russes. People seem to forget that plasma cannons work just as well on things with a worse save than 2+. They're arguably the best anti-horde guns you can buy for your Russ. It's just a bonus that it makes your Russ pretty good vs 2+ saves as well.

Also, look at it this way. A Russ w/PC sponsons (1 battlecannon and 2 PCs) costs just as much as a naked Executioner (3 PCs). Which would you rather have? I'd exchange 1 PC shot for a battlecannon shot any time. Way better range. Much more versatile. A way better anti-horde anti-MEQ machine that still poses a threat to 2+ saves and transports alike.

Also, keep the Manticore. It does the same job as 2 Griffons at better range in addition of not being useless if the enemy happens to be playing MEQs because it can vehicle hunt too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I think I'll keep it mostly as I've written it.

Should I even bother to take special weapons in my infantry squads if they're getting lascannons though? I'm thinking I'll drop a sniper rifle from the CCS and a single grenade launcher and replace them with voxes.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

no, keep the infantry squads with autcannons.
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread