1850 tourney Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

1850 tourney Guard

So Thinking about taking my guard to a local tourney, really depends on how far I get on painting them, but this is a rather "friendly" ineffective list (at least I feel so). Anyway here goes...

Hq
    Company command
    -vox
    -medic
    -2 plasma guns

-chimera

Troops
    - 2Xvet squads
    - 3xplasmas each
    -
    2Xchimeras

Fast
    9 scout sentinels
    3Xlas cannons
    6X auto cannons

Heavy
    3X2 Leman Russ battle tanks squads

Basic strategy would have to be lots of plas in for heavy infantry and light tanks (they're not going to get out of the transport, unless it goes down). Las cannons and russes are for things like LR's. Auto cannons are for Rhinos really. Russes and multi lasers are also for horde armies (take that orks and nids!).

On a side note I'm thinking of turning this into my apoc army (as much as I despise it) just because I've got 2 formations down (and a baneblade and 6 baselisks not shown here )

Thoughts on the list though?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Ehhh, I dunno. Kind of a risky list in my opinion. Let me go through the list piece by piece to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by girlhunter2102 View Post
    So Thinking about taking my guard to a local tourney, really depends on how far I get on painting them, but this is a rather "friendly" ineffective list (at least I feel so). Anyway here goes...

Hq
    Company command
    -vox
    -medic
    -2 plasma guns

-chimera
    Drop the vox, it's useless. You can't give orders to squads that are chimeras. Medic is only there to guard against "Get's Hot" I take it? Play him if you'd like, but I'd swap him out for more guns.

Troops
    - 2Xvet squads
    - 3xplasmas each
    -
    2Xchimeras
    Easy on the plasma there dude. It's good, but not that good. Very, very, pricey and you risk torching yourself. I usually only take one plasma squad at 1500, maybe two when I hit 2000 points. AP2 is for the demolishers.

You need more troops, 2/3 of your games will be objective based. Only two scoring units at 1850 will see you losing a lot. I'd get at least 4 troop units.

Fast
    9 scout sentinels
    3Xlas cannons
    6X auto cannons
    Lascannons are very expensive, on an AV10 open-topped cardboard box, and can't hit the broadside of a barn. They won't be hard to bring down at all, even easier when they are squadroned.

Autocannon sentinels are useful, but I wouldn't take more than two or three (seperate choices).

Heavy
    3X2 Leman Russ battle tanks squads
    Squadroning isn't that great. All the tanks have to shoot at the same target and an immobilized result will kill one of the tanks in a squadron.

LRBTs aren't even all that great at killing Landraiders as you've stated one of their goals is. The standard russ is too much of a generalist more my tastes. Yes it is a good tank and the range is nice, but Str 8 AP 3 isn't all that special considering what other tanks you can take. Seriously I'd only take 3 tanks at 1850. Get more troops.

Basic strategy would have to be lots of plas in for heavy infantry and light tanks (they're not going to get out of the transport, unless it goes down). Las cannons and russes are for things like LR's. Auto cannons are for Rhinos really. Russes and multi lasers are also for horde armies (take that orks and nids!).

On a side note I'm thinking of turning this into my apoc army (as much as I despise it) just because I've got 2 formations down (and a baneblade and 6 baselisks not shown here )

Thoughts on the list though?
    Despite the heavy emphasis on vehicles and big-guns you really don't have much in the way that can handle AV13 or AV14. The three lascannon sentinels are going to be priority targets and even something like bolters can take them down. Lascannons are best used hiding in platoons, but for anti-tank I prefer meltaguns (or Demolishers if I absolutely have to)

The low troop count is a liability as once you lose them (or even the transports) you'd be screwed in most games.

The tanks will be more difficult to deal with as you have many of them, but once the biggest threats are gone you opponent can take their time hiding form them, whittling away at them squadron by squadron.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i used to field a list similar to this one a while back instead of the setinals i had a valkeyie with storm troopers but the russes and infantry were almost identical.

hq

drop the vox and the medic for two more plasma guns 4 bs3 plasma guns in a chimera is very nasty.

troops

the vets are good in my opinion i would also put in 3 more vet squads in chimeras with melta guns

fast

drop the setinals fast attack choices are much better spent on valks vendettas or the hellhound varients

drop three of the russess and upgrade one to be an executioner with plasma sponsons.

if you end up doing these things i think your list will be a lot more rounded with more reliable anti tank (veterans) plenty of ap2 (plasma guns and the exectioner) more troop choices and hopefully some hellhound or varients.
    hope is the first step on the road to dissapointment

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I agree. Note the HQ quad plasmaguns would be BS4!

Troops: 5-6 vet squads in chimeras would be good. take 3x3 meltas and the rest plasmas. Also put heavy flamers on the hull of the chimeras to deal with hordes and swarms.

Fast: I like AC sentinels but vendettas are just so much better against tanks and the like. Take 3 sentinels and 2 vendettas.

Heavy: I reccomend a demolisher with LC in the hull and 2 standard russ with plasma sponsons and HB in the hull.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

+ Reply to Thread