1750pts Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750pts Competitive

Well, here is an army list evolved from my previous lists of 5th edition. I hope everybody with plenty of 5th edition experience can help make suggestions? Its not mech, but is essentially a gun line with some support and mobility. The tactics will be posted below.

H.Q.
    Company Command Squad = 132 points (7men)
    -Company Commander has close combat weapon and bolt pistol
    -2 veterans with Laspistol
    -2 veterans forming a lascannon team
    -Officer of the fleet
    -Astropath

TROOPS
    Platoon Command Squad = 45points (5men)
    -1 platoon Commander with Laspistol and close combat weapon
    -2 guardsmen with a lasguns
    - 2 guardsmen forming a missile launcher

Infantry Squad 65 points (10men)
    -sergeant with Laspistol and close combat weapon
    -9 guardsmen (6 guardsmen with lasguns, 2 guardsmen forming a auto cannon, 1 guardsman with grenade launcher)

-9 guardsmen (6 guardsmen with lasguns, 2 guardsmen forming a auto cannon, 1 guardsman with grenade launcher)

TROOPS
    Veteran Squad = 135points (10men)
    -1 veteran sergeant armed with a Laspistol and close combat weapon
    -9 veterans (3 with plasma guns, 2 forming a lascannon, the rest armed with lasguns)

TROOPS
    Veteran Squad = 135points (10men)
    1 veteran sergeant armed with a Laspistol and close combat weapon
    -9 veterans ( 3 with plasma guns, 2 forming a lascannon team, the rest armed with lasguns)

TROOPS
    Veteran Squad = 145points (10men)
    -1 veteran sergeant with shotgun
    -3 veterans with plasma guns
    -6 guardsmen with lasguns
    -grenadiers doctrine

Chimera Armored Transport = 55 points
    -hull mounted heavy flamer, turret mounted multi laser

TROOPS
    Veteran Squad = 100points (10men)
    1 veteran sergeant armed with Laspistol and close combat weapon
    -9 veterans (3 armed with meltaguns, the rest armed with lasguns

FAST ATTACK
    Vendetta Gunship Squadron 130 points
    -1 Vendetta Gunship

FAST ATTACK
    Bane wolf = 130points

HEAVY SUPPORT
    ORDNANCE BATTERY 140 points
    -1 Colossus

Leman Russ Squadron (170pts)
    - Leman Russ battle tank with hull mounted heavy bolter and sponson heavy bolters and

Leman Russ Squadron (170pts)
    - Leman Russ battle tank with hull mounted heavy bolter and sponson heavy bolters

TOTAL: 1,747points

TACTICS

HQ: My company command squad shall deploy with the majority of the infantry and will snipe with their BS4 lascannon from a well covered position.

TROOPS: The Infantry platoon with auto cannons and grenade launchers shall hold the table edge or quarter and deploy lengthwise across the board in cover, ensuring that anti infantry and light transport cracking power is available throughout the field of battle. With four squads of them, and a platoon command squad with a missile launcher, this should be sufficient.

TROOPS: The veterans with the lascannon / plasma combos will be deployed in the best cover / vantage points possible, and will deploy similar to the platoons, providing a fire base of AP2 and higher strength weaponry to deal with transports, terminators or bigger threats that I will encounter without doubt. The veterans with the melta guns shall deploy in the vendetta gunship. The Plasma gun veterans with carapace armor will receive the chimera, and will plug holes in my line, deal with threats requiring plasma firepower, or will be a spontaneous objective taker. Their chimera with a multilaser and heavy flamer will do what it does best which is pretty self explanatory.

FAST ATTACK: The vendetta gunship will hunt tanks and hold the melta-vets. The bane wolf will attack the enemy when it can, or when the opportunity for some good kills arises.

HEAVY SUPPORT: The leman russ tanks will provide long range pie plates and good anti infantry firepower to the list. They will deploy where needed. The colossus will deploy out of sight obviously and will bombard infantry in cover or around objectives.

Conclusion: I think it is a fairly balanced army, and I have plenty of anti infantry, anti-meq, AP2 weaponry, and a decent amount of lascannons and other weapons for busting transports and vehicles. The only thing I am not 100% sure about is carapace armor for one of the veteran squads. Should I shave this off and 25 more points from somewhere and fit in a chimera, or is it fine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

The base of the list is looking good. Theres just a few things that concern me.

You've got all your Antitank power in one unit. The Vendetta. If this boy goes down not only have you lost your Long range antitank but you're Melta Vets are now stuck out in the middle of no mans land with no armour and 12 inch range guns. They'll die.

Drop the Bane Wolf and grab another Vendetta. Just for redundancies sake.

I'm a bit iffy when it comes to Vendettas carrying Melta Vets. The Melta vets need to get close and if the Vendetta moves more than 6" it can only fire 1 Lascannon. So to me it's a bit of a waste of either the Meltas Vets or the Vendetta.
    How about talking a Valk as a transport for the Vets? This can move 12" and still keep up a rate of fire.

I'd also consider dropping the Russ for 2 Demolishers. The Str10 will be handy if someone brings AV14 to the table. Lascannons can't take down AV14 reliably enough and generally have to be lucky to do anything. Plus they tend to draw more fire than normal Russ. This will take the heat away from your Vendetta.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; October 15th, 2009 at 19:19.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I don't like Officers of the Fleet. The problem with OFs is that Deep-Strike armies want to come in late because less time spent on the table means less opportunity to lose kill-points and more opportunity to take, hold, and/or contest objectives. So, OFs help out deep-strikers.

I second Lord Borak on Melta-Vets in Vendettas, they don't match up, you need your Vendettas moving 6" per turn and staying at maximum range to get the most out of their survivability and Las-Cannons. If you want air-borne Melta-Vets than go with Valykries with Rocket Pods; they cost the same as a Vendetta and can move 12" or deep-strike and still fire all their weapons.

I also second Lord Borak on Demolishers over LRBTs. Demolishers are superior in every way for only 10 points more (don't worry about range, 24" is more than enough to cover all the action that matters).

Those Plasma/Las-Cannon Vets need Camo Cloaks or Chimeras to pillbox successfully, they're a very expensive and juicy target that you don't want getting killed by a round of Bolter fire.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; October 15th, 2009 at 19:37. Reason: Formatting
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

These two pretty much covered everything I wanted to say

2 Vet Squads in Chimeras backed by 2 units in Vendettas (PCS and SWS fit well) with 2 Demolishers would be a significant improvement to your AT situation without much of a change in list composition.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ==Me== View Post
    These two pretty much covered everything I wanted to say

Well, Sorry to Steal your thunder

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I'm just glad I taught you well

Less for ==Me== to type.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the great advice. I think I will keep that vendetta, but use the chimera to transport the veterans with the meltaguns. I might also remove the plasma veterans and take to chimeras(with additional points shaved off) to act as pillboxes for those veterans with plasma/lascannon combo. Yea, I guess that Demolishers probably would be better, so I'll shave off some points as well for those as well. Cheers at the advice guys! *Rep*

+ Reply to Thread