The most competitive vanilla SM list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

The most competitive vanilla SM list

Hey all,

Just looking for some ideas on the most competitive 1000 and 1500 point vanilla Space Marine lists. Feel free to offer C&C on what people post, but please do not turn it into an argument (of any sort)!

Draake

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I find that the "Pedro Wing" army seems to be the most competative Space Marine army where I play. Although it seems to work best at 1500 points and up games. Sterngaurd get expensive in the lower point games. As for 1000 points I've noticed that the traditional marine spam works the best where I play.

For those who do not know what Pedro wing is it is Pedro Kantor, 2 min tac or scout sqauds, 3 sterngaurd squads in drop pods, and armor as you see fit, but dreadnaughts seem to work the best.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

3 Sternguard squads, ouch! And by Marine spam, I guess Librarian/Chaplain and as many tact squads as you can fit? Maybe supported by a scout sniper/HB squad and rhinos?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After playing in my first competitive tournament the 1 change I would definetly make is to take Sternguard. These guys are the Swiss Army Knife I will never leave home with again. Going up against a 'Nidzilla reminded me how important these guys are to competitive lists above 1500. A Deepstriking Land speeder with Multi-Melta and Heavy Flamer could also be another inclusion.
    "A Space Marine Sgt. not taking a Powerfist makes as much sense as peeing with your pants on...you just don't do it." xanosaucy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

in 1500 points, how many do you take and how do you gear them? In higher points games (1750,2000) what sort of setups?

Edit: We have yet to see someone post a list here that they think is competitive / has performed well for them at xx tournament!
    Last edited by Draake; October 19th, 2009 at 02:43.

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

generally 3 squads all in drop pods. Attach Pedro to one of them. Next give 1-2 squad(s) 2 melta's and 2-4 combi's melta's. You generally wont need plasma guns but feel free to throw a few into your second squad if you didnt give them the unholy melta dakka. For your last squad Flamers! 2 heavy flamers and 2-4 combi flamers. (yes it is expensive, but worth it) then throw in 1-2 tac squads your choice of gear. and maybe 1 min scout squad to hold objectives, then some land speeders (Deep striking w/ melta) or dreadnaughts (Drop Pods) for that little extra something you might be missing.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

the issue i have with sternguard (and on topic, sternguard spam), is that while their offensive power is incredible with hellfire and vengeance rounds, they die like your regular tactical bozos.

in my local metagame, there's more than a few horde armies and while it's great to down tyranid MCs, nob bikers etc. in a hail of fire, it's a struggle to get enough bodies on the board to cope with the mass of some other armies. i would not build an army around 3 sternguard squads, though 1 squad in indeed an excellent addition to any army.

around here, mech marine armies are the best. either with land raiders or rhinos supporting vindicators.

+ Reply to Thread