[2000] All-Comers Competitive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[2000] All-Comers Competitive

HQ:
    Company Command Squad
    w/ 4x Meltaguns, Officer of the Fleet
    Chimera
    w/ Heavy Flamer, Multi-Laser
    [175]

Elites:
    Inquisitor
    w/ Psychic Hood, Bolt Pistol, CCW
    2x Mystics, 2x Hierophant
    [70]

Troops:
    (10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Platoon Command Squad
    w/ Heavy Flamer, 3x Flamers
    Chimera
    [120]

(10) Infantry Squad
    w/ Missile Launcher
    [65]

(10) Infantry Squad
    w/ Missile Launcher
    [65]

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta
    [130]

Vendetta
    [130]

Heavy:
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    w/ Hull Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
    [160]

Medusa
    w/ Bastion-Breacher Shells, Enclosed Compartment
    [155]

Medusa
    w/ Bastion-Breacher Shells, Enclosed Compartment
    [155]

[2000]

I think that is it! I think that may be what I start fielding for competitive games at my shop. The only other option I have is to free up 10pt and replace a Medusa with a basic Demolisher. The CCS and PCS hunt their intended targets, tanks and infantry respectively. The Vets go out and cause general havoc, while the Medusa both toss down fat templates and the LRBT tosses out anti-MEQ shots. The Inquisitor sits in a parked Vendetta, which both are for long-range anti-tank. The boosted Hood and twin Mystics are insurance against psykers and deep strikers. The basic infantry squads park on my home objectives in cover and sit tight. Not sure if I am 100% sold on this option, but it merits trying it out.

Comments and critique most welcome and appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I'd go for an Astro over the OoF, you don't help out reserve armies inadvertently and you have options in case you want to hold units in reserve.

Autocannons > Missile Launchers.

Don't bother with bastion breachers, the small blast is just too much of a downgrade. S10 ordnance is enough.

Don't bother with HB sponsons, too pricey for not much effect.

Stick some scoring units in the Vendettas. Take the PCS, give it a handful of flamers (HF is overpriced) and add a SWS. Stick them inside and now you have scoring Vendettas.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Your Inqusitor is kind of a waste right now. He's Ld9 with a Hood, which makes an okay upgrade bad. Just run him as a Mystic bringer, are you really that scared of any psychic powers? Only Living Lightning does anything to your army of value.

I agree with what Me said, Autocannons and put some units in those choppers. Could just stick Veterans in them and pocket the points.

I'd ditch every upgrade on your tanks, none of them do anything of value. You could save a lot of points and flesh that Platoon out by 2 squads, that's a lot better than 3 HBs and some marginal upgrades on Medusas.

Overall it's a mech list with some different Heavy choices.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HQ:
    Company Command Squad
    w/ 4x Meltaguns, Officer of the Fleet
    Chimera
    [175]

Elites:
    Inquisitor
    w/ Bolt Pistol, CCW
    2x Mystics, 2x Hierophant
    [50]

Troops:
    (10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta
    [130]

Vendetta
    [130]

Vendetta
    [130]

Heavy:
    Leman Russ Battle Tanks
    w/ Hull Heavy Bolters
    [150]

Leman Russ Battle Tanks
    w/ Hull Heavy Bolters
    [150]

Medusa
    w/ Enclosed Crew Compartment, Bastion-Breacher Shells
    [155]

[2000]

Revised! Pure Mech, this time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

You are still wasting tons of points on Chimeras and vehicle upgrades. Give the Russes Heavy Flamers, your army is advancing, the Russes don't hang back. Why aren't you using your Vendettas to the fullest? You could fill them, grab an Astropath and have a very strong Outflanking portion. This list could just be so much more.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    You are still wasting tons of points on Chimeras and vehicle upgrades. Give the Russes Heavy Flamers, your army is advancing, the Russes don't hang back. Why aren't you using your Vendettas to the fullest? You could fill them, grab an Astropath and have a very strong Outflanking portion. This list could just be so much more.
    Every time I used outflanking Vets, they failed miserably. They don't hold up outside of a Chimera without significant upgrades. Those upgrades still don't make them last, either. The best use for them is late-game objective takers, either empty to contest or full-up with a Vet squad that lost its Chimera to hold it. Otherwise, they are even juicier targets than they already are and I can't really afford that. Also, if they are outflanking to deliver Veterans, they are moving too fast (usually) to shoot their lascannons, which is the whole point of taking them.

What upgrades am I wasting points on, by the way? Everything is bare-bones. No upgrades on the Chimeras, Vendettas, or Leman Russ. Enclosing the Medusa is worth the upgrade and having a 48" super-meltagun via bastion-breacher shells is pretty awesome for its low cost, even if its only BS3.

Also, the Russes do hang back, generally. They should never be close enough to put down a flamer template. Heavy Bolters give it useful ranged anti-infantry, which is really what they will be doing anyhow. At best, I go 6" a turn just to ensure they don't get auto-hit in assault. Otherwise, they are pillboxes.

That all being said, I am all ears. Any other ideas to make this a stronger list?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x1)

Yeah, I'm not sure why Russes should be advancing exactly. They have a 72 inch gun. I say stick with the bolters on your Russes. You'll be firing those all game, as opposed to the one time you fire your flamer right before you get assaulted.

And I would stick with regular Medusa shells instead of the bastion-breachers. I'm not a fan of giving up the big pie plate. Maybe it's just me. Hell, I'd just go Manticore or Colossus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

You have 2 Hierophants for no reason, actually they're both useless as is. You don't need the equipment on the Inquisitor but that's 2 points so whatever.

The Medusa has two upgrades you don't need. ECC is debatable since the Medusa needs LoS but it still has poor armor and if someone wants it dead/shaken, it's dead/shaken either way. The shells are just awful, you get a blast instead of ordnance. With all the Meltas you're packing, why?

Outflanking Vendettas and Valkyries win games, they've won me every game I've played. Taking advantage of rear armor and sandwiching people is amazing. Moving 6" let's you fire all the Lascannons and all you need to do is bait people to the sides, Outflank, jump out and Melta something and Lascannon something else.

You have Troops to spare, who cares if 3 Veteran squads die? It's all about that Outflanking hit. Later on you can gobble them back up and grab some objectives, with an Astropath you'll have 2-3 turns (at least) to worry about objectives most of the time.

That's why the Chimeras are a waste of points. I don't know what they did to fail you but they're amazing overall. You don't even HAVE to Outflank, you just can if the enemy guns are scary.

Edit: A properly played Mech army advances all tanks. You need the superior LRBT armor to guard your Chimeras sides in conjunction with terrain and table edge. They also bring more Tank Shocking and the ability to Ram well. Ramming and Tank Shocking well are what sets Mech players apart. Also Flamers are godly in 5th and will kill waaaaaay more models than a HB if you're getting up there.
    Last edited by EmoJosh; October 20th, 2009 at 05:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure why I have Hierophants on there still, but that isn't a big deal. The original purpose of the pistol and CCW was to round out the last 2pts to make it a crisp 2000pts. Now its not worthwhile, so I will update the list later on tonight.

Also, I mis-read the Bastion-breacher rules, I thought they could fire in both modes. Seems silly that they cannot fire both, but its not a big deal. Enclosed doesn't stop shaken hits, but that isn't why I have it. Open-topped is like begging to have the tank busted, so its worth the measly 15pts to enclose it.

As I said, I have had outflanking Vets utterly fail me. It may just be a style thing, but it hasn't helped me in the past. I can give it a try, though, and see if its worthwhile. I will have a pair of lists to post later with both options and some re-worked stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

I'm just curious how they failed you. Were they shot down? Did they show up in a bad spot? To late?

I'd run the Inquisitor naked, if you aren't playing against DS just hide him and keep the KPs away.

It does help against being destroyed but the thing with armor is, it's not often destroyed except up close. Even a Lascannon only has a 33% chance to blow it up IF it penetrates and there could be a cover save in there somewhere. Cover is the ultimate protection because it's an easy tank to shake/stun all game which is as good as destroyed in 2/3rd of all games.

If you don't need the points leave it but it's not going to help the tank all that often is my point.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast