Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
got codex and a few models yesterday so started to add up what i had came up with this army list
Vet squad 1
vet squad 2
vet squad 3
7 storm troopers
plasma cannon side-sponsons
turret mounted heavy stubber
soon to add another vet squad and im gonna assemble CCS please read tactics before giving opinions its not an extra special weapons squad
plan is to infantry rush forward with 2 vet squads, CCS and demolisher with(3 vet squads when i get round to assembling next one) CCS issuing orders to help with movement and targetting enemy units. demolisher giving fire support. other VET squad stays back with lascannon and targets enemy armour and firebase
CCS gave them medi pack to aassure more survivability
standard to help in CC
vox caster to help with orders
am considering whether to give them a chimaira and what special weapon frm the box other special weapons will go to vet squads
ratlings stay back and shoot aat enemy firebase try and pin shooty units like devestators or tank busters
storm troopers flank march or deep strike in and cause havoc taking down tanks and small squads
Vet squads 1+2
rush forward with CCS and try and flame enemy units, will give them extra special weapons from CCs sprue
vet squad 3
same role as ratlings kill enemy armour and firebase
armoured assault tank for two vet squads and CCS
adding in future possibly:
knight commander pask to demolisher
leman russ punisher (gatling cannon!)
autocannons to VET units or another lascannon or two
i like the deal of this list which is massed elie infantry with a smattering of armour suport so please don't change list too much although advice on tactics is much appreciated
HQ: Standard is good for footsloggers. cammo cloacks may be better than medic taking advantage of the cover save from front line squads. Drop the vox.
Troops: Drop the vox. footslogging flamers will hardly ever get a good shot especially when you are in a fragile unit and the enemy sees them approaching his mob for several turns. Also putting flamers on BS4 chaps seems a waste. 3xGL can fire blast markers all the time you advance. I know they are less powerful than flamers but each GL can fire 3-5 times per game and a flamer will probably only fire once if you are lucky.
Get some chimeras for them and put 3 meltas on each unit. Putting HF on the hull of the chimera makes up for the loss of flamers in the squads. Carapace is nice but expensive and the chimera will provide a lot of the protection. I would also considder a cheap infantry platoon instead of squad #3 with AC/GL to take home objectives and lend fire support and use the orders.
Elites: Ratlings are ok I suppose. Stormtroops should be kept cheap without special weapons and the pw is also extravagent.
Heavy: Expensive. I like standard russ with plasma sponsons as they can stay back at range firing all the time. Demolishers just need a hull HB or even HF and send them forewards. Put Pask in the punnisher with 3xHB and a stubber. Having said that I would rather have 3 cheaper russ than your 2 expensive loadouts.
Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.
If you really want to Infantry rush, you need to make maximum use of cover at all times. Since cover saves are 4+ anyway, the Carapace upgrade is pointless.
Vet Squads in general:
- Drop the Plasma Pistols. One misfire can drop the unit's Ld by -1 and you will get at most one shot from it, not worth 15 points. Get a Plasma Gun instead.
- You're not maxing the number of Special Weapons in your Vet Squads - why? They can have up to three and this is great value for points. Since you're upgrading them so much with carapace and vox, why not go the extra little bit and give them some decent weapons to actually use?
- Lascannon is a poor choice unless you manage to twin-link it with Orders every time. Autocannon is not only cheaper, but gets two shots. S7 is more than enough to pop transports like Rhinos anyway. If you're going to be shooting at heavy armour, Meltaguns are more favourable.
- For the same points as your single-Lascannon Vet Squad, you could have a Vendetta with 3 twin-linked Lascannons instead. You could even put a cheap squad inside to make it scoring. Just think about this for a second.
- You're paying a huge premium for those AP3 lasguns. Don't waste those points by getting other weapons. Drop the upgrades and use as a cheap anti-MEQ unit.
- Too expensive. Keep them really cheap (165pts, Hull heavy flamer only) and you can get 2 of them instead.
I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but Imperial Guard don't really work as an elite infantry army on their own. They need a lot of vehicle support in the form of Leman Russes and Chimeras if you want to have low numbers of infantry. If you want to play elite on-foot infantry armies, play Space Marines instead.
- Leman Russ Punisher isn't that good. Let's assume you're firing at Space Marines: 20 shots at BS3 (50% hit), 10 shots needing 3+ to wound (66% wound), 6.6 wounds needing 3+ to save (66% saved). You will, on average, cause 2 wounds. Adding Pask to this tank would help, but you're almost always better off with a standard Leman Russ.
- Single Lascannons, as described above, are too expensive and innaccurate to be effective anti-tank units.
*Thread punted to army list section*
Spambot kill tally. . .337
this list is 9000 i am aiming for a 1000 point list just to clarify didn't i say?
working on a 1,000 point list
am currently building more men so that i can max out on heavy weapons (grenade launchers mostly)
just got hold of marbo
considering buying a chimaira transport for one vet squad (the flamer one probably) to shoot off and capture objectives at the last minute
won't buy a leman russ punisher now will probably get a standard battle tank and put pask in that.
WHY do i need to drop all the vox's? they help tonnes with orders
i'm keeping the maxxed out command squad perhaps dropping the medic and getting camo-cloaks
gonna buy more cadian special weapons for the VET squads in general and drop plasma pistol
dropping plasma pistol on storm trooper sergeant need the melta to take down enemy armour
keeping demolisher how it is - this type has orked extremely well for me in the past and has saved several games all on its own.
really don't see what the problem with lascannon is at bs4? am keeping it where it is
voxes don't that much. i wouldn't rely on voxs to win you games. you really need some chiemras for the vet squads or they will die to somelike like your demolisher if the enemy has one, which they probably will and you storm trooper squad won't do much if the enemy is a horde or has lots of vehicles. because they will pound your army before you can do much about it and because cover isn't always avaliable and in the right places.
Grenade Launchers are cheap, but that's about all they have going for them. If you want to pop vehicles, autocannons and meltas do it better, while flamers and various pie plates nail hordes. They're decent filler, but never the foundation of your army.
Orders are useful bonuses, but not something worth shelling out too many points.
All that gear on your CCS and PCS is ultimately just not worth it. IG don't win combats and IG tend to not stick around long, so why bother making them more expensive?
Vets need to be in transports, they're too expensive to walk. If you want to slog it, just bring infantry. They get more bodies and can be blobbed into big stubborn blocks.
Stormies just suck.
Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com
now now ==Me== everyone has didfferent opinions of the st. the relatively new players rever them as gods, the more experienced players see them for what they really are ^^. fluffier veterans with a few extra special rules and flashy kit.