Ultramarines 1.5k - comments appreciated - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ultramarines 1.5k - comments appreciated

HQ
    Chaplain (Terminator Armour) 130

Troops
    10x Tactical Squad (flamer & multi-melta) & powerweapon 185
    Rhino (storm bolter) 45
    Rhino (storm bolter) 45
    Rhino (storm bolter) 45

Elites
    7 Terminator Assault Squad 280

Dreadnought (storm bolter, T/L Autocannon, T/L Autocannon) 120

HS
    Landraider Crusader (multi-melta) 250

The plan is to be as assault as possible - using the chaplain and terminators as close combat monsters and using the dread for long-ish distance support

Last edited by pangloss; November 2nd, 2009 at 00:26. Reason: slight change

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Looks good,

Perhaps the Terminator armor on the Chaplain is of negligible benefit since they already have a 4++ save and the 2+ save wouldn't do much for an independent character in Cc with a unit striking at initiative 1 (Unless you plan on mixing them with lightning claws), In any event he'll probably get hit by the power fist and die 2/3 the time.

Instead I'd go with Cassius, He's ridiculously tough , more so in my opinion than a Term Chaplain , and is 5 point less , not that it matter much here.

You may end up having problem with Fast moving skimmers; One lonely hellfire Dreadnought isn't going to be able to stop more than one, and he'll get taken out easily otherwise. Heavily armored list may also prove difficult: Multi meltas on troop are hard to position to gain the extra penetration dice , since they're Heavy weapons. And a Cc approach to downing tanks would only prove successful against commanders dull enough not to move them 12" to force a 6+ roll to hit on your units. Perhaps adding some Combi-[Melta] to your sergeants or Hunter killer missiles to your tanks could mitigate this.

Cheers
    "The things that appear are a vision of the unseen"
    -Anaxagoras of Clazomenae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by seismic View Post
    Perhaps the Terminator armor on the Chaplain is of negligible benefit since they already have a 4++ save and the 2+ save wouldn't do much for an independent character in Cc with a unit striking at initiative 1 (Unless you plan on mixing them with lightning claws), In any event he'll probably get hit by the power fist and die 2/3 the time.
    Can you explain this a bit better? I run a chaplain /w terminator armour in a terminator squad, and he always performs admirably. I hope I'm not breaking the rules in any way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Draake View Post
    Can you explain this a bit better? I run a chaplain /w terminator armour in a terminator squad, and he always performs admirably. I hope I'm not breaking the rules in any way.
    What rules would you have broken ?

The problem , the way i see it, is that an Independent character, when in close combat, is considered a separated unit for the purpose of wound allocation (Unless specified otherwise; Hive Prince for example). So a Chaplain + a squad of [Something] charging in a generic enemy unit risks having a lot of wound allocated on the chaplain. Including "Power fist" type weapons that would insta-gib the Chaplain in the first rounds of Cc (1/2 the time based on the 4++ Rosarius save as opposed the 2/3 i said before based on the 5++ terminator armor save).

Cassius , having a base toughness 6, is immune to instant death from weapon with 8-10 strength , like power fists. If a copious amount of weaker attacks are made against him, they have to go through the base toughness 6 , 3+/4++ armor save and "feel no pain". Though I'm not big on Math hammer , i do believe it ends up being better than 2+/5++ save in most situation. You also get some minor perks like: Infernus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I misinterpreted it as something to do with the Chaplain striking at initiative 1, but I looked it up in the rulebook and found that I have been playing correctly. Sorry for the confusion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Draake View Post
    I misinterpreted it as something to do with the Chaplain striking at initiative 1, but I looked it up in the rulebook and found that I have been playing correctly. Sorry for the confusion
    No problem , I written it weirdly anyways... Its this damn seasonal time change and the daytime/nighttime differences affecting me... and the voices, screams and hallucinations.

On an other note; You could always take the remaining 15 points (20 if you take Cassius) and drop that dreadnought , take some land Mm/Mm speeders instead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi - the guy i play most plays Guard and uses 3+ Russ tanks, so yes i need something that can handle tanks (he tends to use them in one place as cannons, rather than moving them that much). My idea was to try and use the dread and the LR for that - trying to get the termis close up to the tanks as soon as poss

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

I would also suggest, 1 or 2 of the Tacticals to be sporting P.Fists. It will help them deal with MCs and even a vehicle if the opportunity presents itself.

+ Reply to Thread