<1000 1500pts Raven Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pts Raven Guard

Hello all. I'd have a list that I'd like to run by some people in the know. I'm returning to the game after 6 years and am really looking forward to it. New rules look great .

I'd love some constructive critism/discussion.

Nice to meet you all

Edit: Would just like to point out that I'm going for a fluffy army and trying to stay away from tanks.

1500 Pts - Raven Guard Roster
    Code:
    HQ: Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike

Troops: Tactical Squad (240 pts)
     9x (Flamer; Heavy Bolter)
          1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
    1 Drop Pod (Locator Beacon)

Troops: Tactical Squad (230 pts)
       9x (Flamer; Multi-Melta)
          1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
          1 Drop Pod

Troops: Scout Squad (90 pts)
       4x (Camo Cloaks; Sniper Rifle x4)
          1 Sergeant ( Sniper Rifle)

Fast Attack: Assault Squad (220 pts)
       9 x(Chainsword x9)
          1 Sergeant (Melta Bombs; Power Fist)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (180 pts)
       2x (Heavy Bolter x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

Elite: Dreadnought (185 pts)
       1 Dreadnought @ 185 pts (Extra Armor; Heavy Flamer; Assault Cannon)

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Storm (60 pts)
        (Heavy Flamer)

Troops: Scout Squad (100 pts)
       4x (Combat Blade x4)
          1 Sergeant (Power Fist)

Total Roster Cost: 1500

Last edited by Deso; November 5th, 2009 at 22:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Few things to switch around. First, turn your Flamers into Meltas. Turn the HB into a MM as well. The Dreadnought should have a MM as well, MM Dreads in Pods are nightmares for some armies.

Frankly the rest is all solid. Does Shrike go with the Assault Marines?
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohh thanks for the fast responce. Yeah I didn't know what to put on the dreadnought really so I can definitly understand that.

But out of interest why do you say it's best for every squad to have a melta weapon? I had a feeling that 12" range wasn't going to be enough.

And yeah, Shrike will go with the assualt squad and infiltrate em, maybe near the scouts for coverfire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Well a Flamer is shorter range than that and they can both move and fire. It's just the fact that many tanks kill Marines and you don't have buckets of models. It's very important to bust those tanks or at least do some damage and Meltas do that better than anything. A Melta/PF combo gives some reliable tank busting for you.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One question I do have is:

If the scouts disembark the storm and charge at the same time my assault marines do, will the cerberus launchers on the storm be damn useful in terms of combat results?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Um it wouldn't hurt. It'd really help against Necrons and other high Ld targets you want to break. They're free so they can't be bad. :]

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Hey! Welcome back to the game, my fellow Shadow Captain. The list looks relatively solid as it stands, but everyone's got their own little twists; you'll find my comments below in royal blue:

Quote Originally Posted by Deso
    HQ: Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike

It's hard to go wrong with Shrike. Just be careful that he (and his assault squad) don't get in too deep without some support.

Troops: Tactical Squad (240 pts)
    9x (Flamer; Heavy Bolter)
    1 Sergeant (Power Fist)

As the Prince said, a meltagun would not be an unwise decision here. Your list is lacking in some dedicated anti-tank/heavy power, and meltaguns will help tremendously, especially in drop pods. Flamers are of course fantastic in the same circumstances, but it's hard to ignore a cheap meltagun. Besides that, the squad is solid, although I feel like you may be better off with a missile launcher instead of a heavy bolter; personal preference is all that one is, however.

Troops: Tactical Squad (230 pts)
    9x (Flamer; Multi-Melta)
    1 Sergeant (Power Fist)
    1 Drop Pod

I'm curious how well the multi-melta performs for you, if you've had a chance to test it. I tend to prefer missile launchers over any of the other freebie heavy weapons, but I've always wanted to try the multi-melta as well, to give it a test run. Again, a meltagun could be a possible addition to the squad.

Troops: Scout Squad (90 pts)
    4x (Camo Cloaks; Sniper Rifle x4)
    1 Sergeant ( Sniper Rifle)

Toss a missile launcher to this squad; it would then be my favourite scout squad! For 100 points you get some relatively decent ranged support in addition to a tough as nails unit (when in cover).

Fast Attack: Assault Squad (220 pts)
    9 x(Chainsword x9)
    1 Sergeant (Melta Bombs; Power Fist)

I'm no fan of meltabombs, the power fist (to me) is much more likely to harm a vehicle/dreadnought if you get into combat with one. I'd say toss those for points. Other than that, the only possible addition(s) I could recommend is to consider some flamers.

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Squadron (180 pts)
    2x (Heavy Bolter x2; Typhoon Missile Launcher x2)

I'd split these guys up into as many squads as possible; squadron rules can eat Land Speeders up. I'm not a personal fan of these for Raven Guard, though they aren't horrible choices. Just don't assume that because you're a Raven Guard player you are obligated to take them, because it isn't true!

Elite: Dreadnought (185 pts)
    1 Dreadnought @ 185 pts (Extra Armor; Heavy Flamer; Assault Cannon)

A very solid build, though in my opinion the extra armour isn't really needed. I'd save the points, personally.

Fast Attack: Land Speeder Storm (60 pts)
    (Heavy Flamer)

Troops: Scout Squad (100 pts)
    4x (Combat Blade x4)
    1 Sergeant (Power Fist)

A reasonable support unit for your assault squad, I'm not quite sold on the Storm just yet. I'd be curious to hear how you do with it; I'd suggest swapping a few of those combat blades out for shotguns, however, purely because a 4+ to hit in the shooting phase with two shots (plus two attacks on the charge) is typically as or more reliable than WS3 in combat. On the charge, these scouts will get 3 attacks; with shotguns, they get 2 shots and 2 attacks, pretty good if you ask me.

Total Roster Cost: 1500
    Overall a very solid list, with an admittedly heavy reliance on Land Speeders. I'm curious how well the list will perform, I haven't fielded large amounts of Land Speeders before. Keep us posted on that, and I hope my comments were of some value!

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Nemesis for your detailed comments and the warm welcome.

I will take your advice on my tactical squads to heart as I have been very unsure about them. The droppodded multimelta sounds like fun though. I've always loved the heavy bolter, mainly based on looks and function. Do you think the missile launcher is by far better?

Again with the scouts, what does the rocketlauncher do that makes it your favourite? Boost snipers light AT or is it purely anti-infantry with the snipers?

I've taken the typhoons because of their versatility. 4 AT missiles or 4 frags + 6 heavy bolters while moving at 12" is too good to miss.

Do you think a dreadnought is better served with a multimelta or assault cannon?

You shotgun analysis makes a lot of sence, i'll definitly use that too.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm just feeling great getting back into the hobby.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Deso View Post
    Thanks Nemesis for your detailed comments and the warm welcome.
    Always; it's what I'm here for! There can't be too many Raven Guard players, after all.

I will take your advice on my tactical squads to heart as I have been very unsure about them. The droppodded multimelta sounds like fun though. I've always loved the heavy bolter, mainly based on looks and function. Do you think the missile launcher is by far better?

Again with the scouts, what does the rocketlauncher do that makes it your favourite? Boost snipers light AT or is it purely anti-infantry with the snipers?
    I feel like the missile launcher is the most versatile weapon you can take, especially in a tactical squad. It has decent anti-infantry firepower (arguably better than the heavy bolter vs. horde armies) and it is pretty solid against most vehicles AV12 or lower, with still a chance at AV13/14.

As far as the scout squads go, I find that the missile launcher is good for the same reasons as above, and it gives them a bit of an extra kick than just the sniper rifles against things like tanks and monstrous creatures. Plus, it comes in the box and looks cool; a good enough reason to spend the few points!

I've taken the typhoons because of their versatility. 4 AT missiles or 4 frags + 6 heavy bolters while moving at 12" is too good to miss.
    I feel like, for anti-tank, you may be better off with the standard multi-melta landspeeders, if you grab some Tornadoes with assault cannons/heavy bolters, they can mince infantry to pieces. Some food for thought if you're going to use the landspeeders!

Do you think a dreadnought is better served with a multimelta or assault cannon?
    I personally prefer the assault cannon, as it specializes the dreadnought in mauling infantry, which I'm a big fan. However, the multi-melta is cheaper pointswise and can be a good anti-tank weapon for a drop pod dreadnought. I'd say give both a spin and see which you prefer, or if you need the extra anti-tank then go for that too.

Sorry for the amount of questions, I'm just feeling great getting back into the hobby.
    It's not a problem; we're happy to help here on the forums, and I especially enjoy helping out when I can! If you have any additional questions, don't hesitate!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I feel like, for anti-tank, you may be better off with the standard multi-melta landspeeders, if you grab some Tornadoes with assault cannons/heavy bolters, they can mince infantry to pieces. Some food for thought if you're going to use the landspeeders!
    Hmm that's an interesting point you make. I did want to field some tornadoes but felt that bringing an open topped, armour 10 vehicle into rapid fire range while deadly was a bit suisidal. Again the multimelta while deadly makes it seem like a kamikaze unit.

Just to confirm, a tornado can only be moving 6" and use all it's weapons (other than the frags on the typhoon) in 5th rules right? That seems to defeat the purpose of a fast skimmer.

Have you or anyone else had luck with tornadoes recently? 3 tornadoes does sound devistating to any approaching infantry and a speeder with a multimelta used well also sounds like a huge nuisance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast