1500 point list from a ig newbie - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 point list from a ig newbie

Hi all,

After about 2 years of playing recreationally with my daemonhunters, I've decided to invest in an IG army and try to play more games.

This is my first attempt at making an Army list. Looking for constructive criticism so that I may improve my army list.

HQ
    Company Comd Squad (175points)
    + 3 x Plasma
    + Vox
    + Camo Cloaks
    +Chimera (Multilaser + Heavy Flamer)

Elites
    Stormtrooper Squad (250points)
    + 2 x Plasma
    + Chimera (Multilaser + Heavy Flamer)

Troops
    Inf Platoon (255points)
    -Plt Comd Squad (55points)
    + Vox
    + Autocannon
    + 2 x Grenade Launcher
    -Inf Squad (70points)
    + Vox
    + Autocannon
    + Grenade Launcher
    -Inf Squad (70points)
    + Vox
    + Autocannon
    + Grenade Launcher
    -Heavy Weapons Squad (60points)
    + 3 x Mortars

Veterans Squad (190points)
    + 3 x Melta
    + Demolitions
    + Vox
    + Chimera (Multilaser + Heavy Flamer)

Veterans Squad (105points) (Riding in Vendetta)
    + 3 x Melta
    + Vox

Fast Attack
    Vendetta (150points)
    + 2 x Heavy Bolters

Heavy Support

Leman Russ MBT (170points)
    + 2 Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Leman Russ Demolisher (185points)
    + Heavy Flamer Sponsons

Total: 1480points

20 points to spare.

The idea is for the Inf Platoon to provide support fire with the autocannons to handle light vehicles and gren launchers to tackle nearby infantry if they get too close. Mortars are there for massed infantry.
    Not sure if all the Vox Casters are worth it because I've never played as or against IG before.

Stormtroopers seem rather expensive. But my main reason is to have some somewhat sturdy AP2 on the field together with my Company Command Squad. Any suggestions as to what I could do with that 250 points?

Thanks in advance. (:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

First off, welcome to the Guard! The best Army of the Best race the Galaxy has ever and will ever see.

Secondly, the list

HQ:
    Good, you don't need the Camo cloaks though. They will be safly tucked away in their Chimera not standing around in cover.

ELITES:
    These Guys are expensive and to be honest with you, a plain old Veteran Squad will do more damage as they can weild 3 Special weapons. You could get a Veteran Squad with 3 Plasma Guns and a Chimera for 170pts. If you want to use or already have S-Ts you can always just give your Veterans Carapace armour so they're WYSIWYG.

If you get 1 Vet squad though grab 2. Guard is all about redundancy. They kill one unit and you still have more to take their place. An old quote to live by is "Fighting Guard is like Wrestling Jelly. You can pull chunks off but there always seems to be more"

I'd also consider Melta Guns. They've got that extra Punch against vehicles and still wound Monstrous creatures on 2's with no save. They have less shots but wont kill the guys holding them. A CCS with Plasma backed up by 2 Squads of Vets with Melta guns is a good way to go.

TROOPS:
    Vox: They good but if you want to do a mass order list your CCS needs to hang back with the Platoons giving orders. IIf you combine two squads of Infantry they will benefit from only having 1 Vox between the two. This not only saves you points but means more bodies are receiving that order.

The weapon fits are fine.

HWS, I love Mortars. They're not very efficiant, expensive for what they do but i love them. They're useful for holding your home objective and still firing whilst out of site but honestly there are better things for the points.

Vets are good, Drop the S-T's and get the Vet squad a friend. Demolitions is very handy. Some people don;t like it but i've had great sucess and theres nothing mroe satisfing that killing marine units with one.

FAST:
    Vendettas are good. You get the Pair of H-Bolters for 10pts. not each so thats 10pts saved there. Again with redundancy get this boy a friend. By dropping the S-T's to vets you should save almost 100pts which is amost another one of these. If you dropped the HWS Mortars you'd deffinatly have enough.

HEAVY:
    Russ, Good, I prefer Demolishers due to the higher Str and better AP which means it can deal with pretty much anything from Landraiders and Terminators to Orks and Gaunts. The Russ has good range though but it's something to consider changing.

Demolisher. ?Being Brutal here. Under no circumstances take H-Flamer sponsons. They're a total waste of points. Lumbering behemoth doesn't let you fire both of them on the move and the chances your opponents are in range of both of them are going to be very very slim - If they're in range to be flamed they'd have assaulted and killed you.

OVERALL:
    The list is looking good, With the left over points I would grab some more troop choices. you could grab 2 more Infantry squads and still have points left over for something nasty. Griffons for a 3rd Heavy choice would be handy against massed hoards or Hydras for taking down lots of light vehicles.

Kinda what i mean is a list that looks something along these lines.

CCS, 4 Plasma guns, Chimera – 165pts

VETS, 3 Melta, Chimera, Demolitions – 185pts
    VETS, 3 Melta, Chimera, Demolitions – 185pts

Infantry Platoon (300pts)
    PCS – Autocannon – 40pts
    INF – Autocannon, G-Launcher – 65pts

Vendetta, - 130pts
    Vendetta, - 130pts

Demolisher, Hull H-Flamer – 165pts
    Demolisher, Hull H-Flamer – 165pts
    Hydra – 75pts

Loosing maybe an Infantry squad or two and replacing them with Special weapons squads would be an idea, they can travel in the Vendettas for some late game objective grabbing or protecting them if the neemy get near. 3 Flamers is cheap and nasty.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; November 8th, 2009 at 14:59.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice (:

A second vendetta does sound quite tempting. i'll have to see if I have the funds for it.
    Looks like i'll have to proxy my stormtroopers as vets or something.

I was considering the hydra as well but unfortunately I dont think I can procure one unless I do some converting of my own.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I've done a fairly cheap version of a Hydra if you wanna see. It's just a conversion out of a Chimera, a Russ Hull and the Bastion Defence kit.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i would give the PCS melta guns to make the list more competitive and give them chiemra, because i think all command units from experience need good weapons, good protection and good mobility to make them effective especially when they need to issue ordesr etc!
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

What Borak said, like word for word.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Borak had some great advice, and now I'm going to play devil's advocate/give some advice of my own.

Storm Troopers. I love these guys, with their bs 4, and their cute 4+ armor save, and their lil ap 3 gun . . . *cough* Right. I never take them in big squads though, their too expensive for the return you'll get, and I never stick them in a chimera, as you lose out on their special operations. I would recommend sticking them in one of the vendettas if you don't want to change their numbers. What I particularly enjoy/recommend is taking two relatively cheap five man squads and deepstriking them in where their meltas can hit side armor or give the meq's a headache. But I don't know if you need them for this list. If you've got your heart set on them you can always drop an infantry squad and the hydra to make room for a moderate squad of them.

For the troop section I would drop the voxes if your planning on your Command squad running around the battle field, if you plan on keeping it as a mobile reserve however, it might be worth keeping them.

The Leman Russ. I may sound crazy to some of our commanders by saying this, but here we go: No sponsons of any kind. Just move your tank a little, fire the ordinance gun and hull weapon and move along. The sponsons are expensive and if you want to use them you cut down the mobility of your tanks. In my experience a Leman Russ Battle Tank is never a bad thing, but I do think that having two demolisher is mighty risky.

I don't think you need to stray too far from your current build to make it viable, I would tweak it kind of like this:

HQ

(1495)
    HQ

Company Command Squad -175
    -4 Plasma Guns
    Commander
    -Plasma Pistol
    Chimera

TROOPS

Veterans -185
    -3 Meltas
    -Demolitions
    Chimera

Veterans -185
    -3 Meltas
    -Demolitions
    Chimera

Veterans (In Vendetta) -130
    -3 Meltas
    -Demolitions

Infantry Platoon -300
    Command Squad
    -Autocannon
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Grenade Launcher
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Grenade Launcher
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Grenade Launcher

FAST ATTACK

Vendetta Gunship -130

HEAVY SUPPORT

Leman Russ Battletank -150
    -Hull Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Demolisher -165
    -Hull Heavy Flamer

Hydra -75

Hope this was helpful.
    My enemy's enemy is a problem for later. In the meantime, they might be useful.

+ Reply to Thread