500 pts Imperial Guard First try - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 pts Imperial Guard First try

This is just a pipe dream at the moment, with tyranids immenent it may never come into fruition (especially since guard seem one of the costliest armies)

I decided to dream up a 500 pt guard list because they are in many ways the opposite of tyranids, but in some ways similar. I tried to keep the price down, so this list should all be available from 2 Guard Battleforces.

I had a bit of trouble getting my head round some things about making an Imperial guard list so there may be mistakes,

Hq 1: 75
    Company Command squad
    Company Commander
    PowerWeapon
    4 veterans
    Regimental Standard

Troop 1: 130
    Veteran Squad
    Doctrine: Demolitions
    1 veteran sergeant
    7 Veterans
    1 demo charge
    1 Melta Gun
    Veterans Weapon Team
    Lascannon

Troop 2: 215
    Infantry Platoon
    Platoon Command Squad
    Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Mortar

Infantry Squad
    Mortar

Fast Attack 1: 80
    2 Scout Sentinels
    Auto Cannons

500 points 47 models
    (Leaving quite a lot of heavy weapons and 5 men over from 2 battleforces)

All ideas and critique much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by 16Ogretyrant07 View Post
    Hq 1: 75
    Company Command squad
    Company Commander
    PowerWeapon
    4 veterans
    Regimental Standard

No Powerweapon, get a HW in here either an Autocannon or a Mortar if you want to hide them. Cloaks are good as well for being on foot.

Troop 1: 130
    Veteran Squad
    Doctrine: Demolitions
    1 veteran sergeant
    7 Veterans
    1 demo charge
    1 Melta Gun
    Veterans Weapon Team
    Lascannon

Veterans suck on foot, they beg to be mounted. Just run Platoons if you want on foot, run Vets if you like to mechanize. I'd leave the Doctrine at home and grab 3 specials.

Troop 2: 215
    Infantry Platoon
    Platoon Command Squad
    Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Heavy Bolter

Infantry Squad
    Mortar

Infantry Squad
    Mortar

The HB squads need Autocannons. There is no excuse for ever using HBs in a Platoon unit when you can grab Autocannons for the same points, it's much better. I'd say do the same for the Mortar units as well, if you want Mortars use HWS.

Fast Attack 1: 80
    2 Scout Sentinels
    Auto Cannons

Good unit.
    Hope that helps, I'd run 2 small Platoons for Troops and leave the Vets at home. Just spam Autocannons, maybe grab some special weapons in the CCS for MCs and elite units, good to go.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help, I thought I wouldnt have enough men for 2 platoons but I didn't account for heavy weapons taking the place of two guardsman for some reason.

I would have 50 men 6 heavy weapons and 2 sentinels from the 2 battleforces

So Heres my new list

Company command squad 75
    Mortar
    Regiment standard
    Sniper Rifle (I had 5 points left)

Troop 1: 185
    Platoon Command Squad
    3 Flamers
    1 Heavy Flamer

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon

Troop 2: 160
    Platoon Command squad
    Auto Cannon

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon

Fast Attack 80
    2 Scout sentinels
    Autocannons

500 pts with 7 men leftover

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Don't take a heavy flamer, for the price of that along you can get 4 standard flamers and do a ton more damage.

Drop it down to a standard flamer and give another gun to the CCS, you don't want to be wasting the BS4 on their models. Not so sure on the sniper rifle, the are really one of the worst special weapon choices in my opinion. Grenade launchers would be better if the CCS is sitting back and baby sitting.

A few grenade launchers in the autocannon squads would be nice with the left-over points as well.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

HQ:
    Change the weapons on these boys. There are the most accurate shooters in your army at the moment so give them a decent Heavy Weapon. a M-Launcher or an Autocannon would be fine for these guys. How about giving them Camo cloaks as well just to make them a bit more surviveable?

TROOPS:
    PCS, Don't take H-Flamers on Infantry. They're to expensive and the difference between that and a Flamer isn't worth the 15 extra points. I'd also think about giving the PCS 4 G-Launchers instead. they can Blast stuff from 24 inches away and threaten infantry and light armour. If you want burny death then they'll need a transport to be effective.

The Infantry Squads and other platoon are fine. See if you can find the points to give them G-Launchers though. they're not expensive and can be handy.

FAST:
    Scout Sentinels are useful but as they're your only vehicles they'll get shot at by any heavy weapon going. With their paper thin armour they wont stand up to much so be carefull.

OVERALL:
    A Carnifex or other Monstrous Creature might give you trouble. I know it's only 500pts but getting some low AP weapons in there might be an idea. Maybe grab some when you head up to 1000pts.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; November 9th, 2009 at 11:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help so far.

Im going to go back to basics. On the Company command squad what do you guys reckon will be the best choice, a Missile Launcher or a lascannon.

Each squad in the infantry platoons will have an autocannon because that seems the best allround weapon,

If I give the Command squad a lascannon it leaves 30 points left over. Which would allow me to have either 6 grenade launchers in 1 platoon or them spread over the 2. I dont know if to spread them or not, but it seems a better option than camo cloaks and 2 grenade launchers.

I realise the sentinels will go down in a hurry, Im hoping that they will be able to outflank and at least distract the enemy. Im also hoping that in a squadron they count as 1 kill point.

The worst armies I think to face would be Tyranids with 3 Monstrous creatures. Maybe Orks as thet could outnumber me or have a squad of complex nobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Lascannon, BS4 with a self Order is quite good.

Sentinels are good, they Outflank so you get to fire first. They come in and bust some back armor, maybe even charge something that can't hurt them. It'd be better with an Astropath but save that for when you add points on.

Grenades seem fine, don't add any to the PCS or CCS though, to small of a unit.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay here would be the list, but im stuck with 10 points left over that I dont really know what to do with.

1. I could drop a grenade launcherand add the regimental standard to the hq
    2. I could drop a grenade launcher an change the Lovely lascannon for a missile launcher and add camo cloaks to the hq
    3. Add in another Lascannon
    4. Other suggestion that someone else has.

Hq
    Company Command Squad
    Lascannon

Troop 1: 170
    Platoon command Squad
    Autocannon

Infantry squad
    Autocannon
    Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Grenade Launcher

Troop 2: 170
    Platoon command Squad
    Autocannon

Infantry squad
    Autocannon
    Grenade Launcher

Infantry Squad
    Autocannon
    Grenade Launcher

Fast attack: 80
    2 scout sentinels
    Autocannons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Standard seems wise, since you have so much infantry. Mines saved me a good number of times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll go ahead with option 1 then. (The bonus of the banner is it looks very cool too)

I am still going to take the lascannon over the missile pod in case of the most unlikely of events happen. Carnifex with Extended carapace, Hivtyrant with Warp field, Landraider (yes it is possible in both marie and chaos lists ) and any other magical beasties ive missed off.

I am 99% sure none of the above will happen but you never know

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast