<2000 Vulkan and 6 Dreadnoughts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vulkan and 6 Dreadnoughts

I've been playing Salamanders for a while at 1000 points and have had a lot of success with DP dreads. I was playing around a little bit and came up with the list below. Everybody has a DP and since most of my local opponents are not used to this, I can achieve the element of surprise twice ^_^ On paper, this seems like a really flexible army that can get in close to anything. AV13 should hopefully be almost untouchable in CC, but I'm not sure how this will fare in objective missions with only 3-5 scoring units.

HQ (290 total):
    Vulkan
    MOTF

Troops (460 total):
    DP Tactical Squad with 7 Bolters, TL Flamer, TL MM and Sergeant with PF - 230
    DP Tactical Squad with 7 Bolters, TL Flamer, TL MM and Sergeant with PF - 230

Elite/Heavy (1080 Total):
    6x Ironclad Dread with DP, Seismic Hammer with TL meltagun and DCCW with TL Heavy Flamer - 180 each

Fast (170 Total):
    Vanguard Vets with DP and sergeant with PF - 170

High Elves: Tournament W/D/L - 6/5/5

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Looks imense fun. You could do with a locator beacon on a drop pod to bring in the vanguards with. Actually in a 2000 point list I would drop the vanguards for 10 tac marines deploying on foot to give you a third troop choice.

If you downgraded all ironclads to normal dreads with MM/HF it would save you enough for another tac squad giving you a respecable 40 tac marines to secure objectives. The footsloggers could also take plasma cannon for the extra range. All the rampaging dreads dropping in so close will mean your cheap and cheerful tac squads may be ignored much of the time.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might be worth a try, but most of my opponents target them quickly as they know I have very few scoring units. Would 40 be enough to survive a 2k game when they're not all down at the same time?

leeds yorkshire england am not a yorkie though
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not bad i like it why not change two dreads 1 to a mm hf and the other HF HF and dump the vanguard for tacticals and try and squeeze the points for th (cant remember if tac sgts can have them or not) instead of pf if you can that would make a nice use of vulcans chapter tactics
    i rock my world

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

They might be, if you keep them in cover as much as you can. I suggest combat squadding your tac squads when they touch down, splitting the Flamer/PF and the MG. this will up your overall unit count, and give you a little extra flexibiliy that\ll go a long way with a list like this.

I also concur with MadCat's suggestion to downgrade the dreads, or at least some of them to free up points. Normal HF/MM dreads can cause plenty of havoc on their own, when properly dropped.

You'll definately need a lot more then 20 tac marines in a 2k point game, though. You'd be hamstrung pretty quick by any player smart enough to go for the troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate thread necromancy, but what if I replaced the assault squad with a pair of shotgun-armed scout squads with sergeants armed with combi-flamers? I could use them in reserves/outflanking to come in and control/contest objectives a little later in the game.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

It's a good idea, but I'd suggest swapping the combi-flamer for a -melta or -plasma, to give them a little extra flexibility. I often run shotgun scouts myself, and I can tell you that assaulting into a unit with that many shells and hits will put out your scouts at an advantage against most units.

+ Reply to Thread