Librarium Online Forums banner

Traitor Guard 1000pts

<1000 
776 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  antique_nova 
#1 ·
I'm making a traitor guard army and I want it to be really fluffy. The idea is that a Chaos space marine has crash landed on a planet which was in strife, the local PDF believed him to be a God who had come to lead them and now the Chaos Marine has constructed a doomsday device which he will unleash onto the loyalists!

HQ

Straken (Chaos Space Marine) 165
-4 Veterans
- CCW & Laspistol
-Regimental Standard
-Krak Grenades

Ministorium Priest - 45 (Some crazy preacher who told everyone that the Marine was a god)

TROOPS

1 Custodian, 9 Penal Legionnaires 80

FAST ATTACK
Sentinal 50
-Lascannon

Sentinal 50
-Lascannon

Sentinal 50
-Lascannon

HEAVY

Death Strike Missile Launcher (Dooms day device) 160

Total 1000

The idea is it's a close combat guard army, the traitor marine leads his horde of cultists into the enemy line in a desperate assault, meanwhile the Death Strike Missile ticks down, preparing to blow up everyone (traitor and loyalist.) I'd like to keep all 6 penal legions and the Death strike missile but is there any effective anti tank stuff I can swap the sentinels out for? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Magila.

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh now this is one hell of an interesting army. Probably won't win overly many games, but it could very well be fun to play.

HQ

Straken (Chaos Space Marine) 165
-4 Veterans
- CCW & Laspistol
-Regimental Standard
-Krak Grenades
Straken as a Space Marine, huh? :dance:

Give these boys something useful, flamers at the very least. Grenades or melta are a possibility. You want assault weapons on these guys. Not so sure on the Krak Grenades, though you definitely need every little bonus.

Carapace maybe?

Ministorium Priest - 45 (Some crazy preacher who told everyone that the Marine was a god)
Where is this guy going? The CCS is the only real option, he'd be better in a platoon. An eviscerator to kill vehicles is almost a must.

While fun these guys will die in droves. You really need meltaguns somewhere, contrary to what a lot of people think, Lascannons are not anti-heavy tank, they are anti-medium tank.

A small platoon with lots of meltaguns and a commissar would do good.

FAST ATTACK
Sentinal 50
-Lascannon

Sentinal 50
-Lascannon

Sentinal 50
-Lascannon
Inaccurate, can't reliably take on AV14. Gotta be some better choices here. Devil Dogs maybe. You could also just leave autocannons on them, outflank, and hit side/rear armor.

HEAVY

Hide this thing, hide it well. I'd prefer a manticore.

Very hard to do, you're banking a lot on those random rolls for the penal legion. Like I said, I'd swap some out for meltagun platoons. You'd really be hurting in anti-tank and those penal legion will be dying in droves, good thing they are stubborn.

Keep in mind that penal legion can also outflank. Be ready for some hard-ass games.

#3 ·
Got to agree with Hockyman here. The list looks like alot of fun to play but i think you'll just be driven over by most armies.

HQ: The unit is fine hoever i'd drop the Krak Grenades. The Chaos Marine (Straken) is more than enough to ripping up tanks himself. Give these guys some G-Launchers so they can plink Grenades whilst you run at the enemy.

TROOPS:
Fun but you really need proper infantry to do the work for you. some cheapo Platoons with Melta guns would do the Trick. You could always just take 1 Platoon with 2 mobbed squads of 20. Each with 2 Melta guns and a commissar representing some heretical Enforcer. Maybe 1 Big Platoon backed up by some Penal Legion?

FAST:
They're to flimsy to last long. You've got nothing scary walking around to take the fire off these guys (bar the DS) 3 AV10 vehicles will just get smuched too quickly. For 10 more pts you could get another Death Strike!!

Maybe just use the points from the Sentinels to get more Men with Melta guns?

Maybe try something like this?
CCS, Straken, 4 G-Launchers – 165pts

Platoon A: 275pts
PCS – 4 G-Launchers – 50pts
3x Infantry Sq combined – 3x Melta guns, 1x Commi with PW – 225pts

Platoon B: 275pts
PCS – 4 G-Launchers – 50pts
3x Infantry Sq combined – 3x Melta guns, 1x Commi with PW – 225pts

Death Strike – 160pts

3x Scout Sentinels, 3x Autocannons – 120pts

#4 ·
Hmmmm What if I drop the sentinals for vets with melta guns?

Straken (Chaos Space Marine) 160
-4 Veterans
- CCW & Laspistol
-Regimental Standard

TROOPS

10 Veterans 100
- 3 X Meltaguns

10 Veterans 100
- 3 X Meltaguns

HEAVY

Total 1000

I really want to keep the Penal Legion spam and the veterans could be the traitors who have been chosen by chaos to start melting things.

#6 ·
Aye, What H-Man said.

the problem with Melta guns on foot is that they only have a 12" range. Vehicles will just drive away from you and you wont even get a shot. Plus if your opponent has any sense he'll shoot those boys first to remove the threat they pose. As they're Guardsmen with no save to talk about they'll just be reduced to red smears on the ground.

Instead of the Melta Vets (which you can't take anyway) how about you invest in some Deep Striking Storm Troopers. Just take 2 or 3 units of 5 with 2 Melta Guns a squad. this way you've got some serious tank killing potential that can literally drop out of the sky right next to Armour.

#7 ·
This looks like a very interesting list that would be fun to try a few times even if it isn't the most competetive. I agree with Lord Borak on using a big mobbed up platoon with commisar to give some more bodies and punch. Though I tend to avoid them, in this list I think the melta armed stormtroopers would add a lot of antitank without breaking your fluffyness.

As an aside I am using Straken as my Traitor guards Word Bearer overlord, and was wondering if you had a fig picked out for him or if you were going to convert one.

May your soldiers die a bloody death for the amusement of the Ruinous Powers!

#8 ·
Straken (Chaos Space Marine) 145
-4 Veterans
- CCW & Laspistol

ELITES

4 Storm Troopers 1 Storm Trooper Sergeant 105
- 2 X Melta Guns

4 Storm Troopers 1 Storm Trooper Sergeant 105
- 2 X Melta Guns

TROOPS

HEAVY

Total 995

Kills me that I have to get rid of the regimental standard.... But seems much more tank busting effective.

As for the model, i'll probably convert one. Just a normal chaos space marine in a cool pose. Like he's leading a horde.

#9 ·
Probably as good as you're going to get it with the fluff in mind. Maybe with the last 5pts you could grab Flamer or a G-Launcher for the CCS?

As for the model of Straken. The Chaos Marine would have to be suitably armed. Maybe with a two handed Powersword/Relic Blade to justify him being Str6. Maybe a hidious injury or lots of bionics to explain him only being Init3??

#10 ·
I was thinking about that, gonna say he got injured in the crash landing. I was thinking of using this model.

He has a plasma pistol, a big axe that gives him +2 strength, and a sore foot that he rests on a space marine helmet (that's why he is I3)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.