2nd Attempt At 1500-1750 Competitive Mech Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

2nd Attempt At 1500-1750 Competitive Mech Guard

Here's my 2nd attempt at mech guard, hopefully it's a lot more effective than my 1st attempt as it's got a lot more units in it.

HQ
    110 – Command Squad:
    4 Plasmaguns
    55 – Chimera: Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer.
    (I originally had 4 Meltas, however Plasmaguns can benefit better from the orders that make them twin-linked and demand re-roll successful cover saves.)

TROOPS
    100 - Veteran Squad: 3 Meltaguns.

(Your standard mech squad tactics)

FAST ATTACK
    130 - Banewolf:
    Heavy Flamer.

130 - Banewolf: Heavy Flamer.
    (These guys ride up behind the chimeras and move up to deal with the more threatening squads ie anti-tank equipped)

HEAVY SUPPORT
    190 - Leman Russ Battle Tank:
    Heavy Bolter, Plasma Cannon Sponsons
    (I’ve made this my most threatening unit to force enemy fire away from the rest of my army, of which it can take a beating)

160 - Manticore: Heavy Flamer
    (the perfect anti-horde killing unit)

75 - Griffon Mortar
    (Best thing to get for the pts I had left, since I’ve already got all the anti- armour/meq I need)

Total Pts: 1470
    Total No: 45 ( 10 )
    Kill Pts: 15

An aggressive list, but the big thing that has me worried is the lack of ranged anti-tank that why I’m considering replacing one of the banewolves with a Devildog, what do you guys think? Please I’ll say this now no Valkyries and Vendettas they just would fit in with the army’s low tech appearance!

I’ve also got 30pts left to spend, here are a few options to buy…
    • 3 Hunter Seeker Missile for the chimeras some ranged anti-tank.
    • Camo Netting for the Manticore as it is a threatening unit.
    • Multi-Meltas for the Banewolves to give the army some effective ranged AT weapons.
    • Extra Armour For Command Squad’s Chimera & 1 Multi-melta for a Banewolf that squad’s transport needs to keep moving.
    FOR 1750PT GAMES…
    For the additional 250pts for games of 1750pts I have two options…

100 - Veteran Squad: 3 Plasmaguns.

80 – 2 Scout Sentinels: Autocannons.
    (1 Chimera for sitting on objectives with some outflanking Scout sentinels for tank hunting.)

- or -

Infantry Platoon
    40 -Infantry Command:
    Autocannon
    70 -Infantry Squad: Missile Launcher and Grenade Launcher.
    (A Good big unit to hold down objectives on my side of the board while providing some long range support, I prefer ML due to their flexibility)

What do you think? I really need to get to start work on this army asap!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i would switch the banewolfs to vendettas, because 5 chimeras are enough anti-tank. plus the manticore is too fragile and the leman russ si too expensive. swap them for demolishers and they will provide better anti-termintor/nobz and anything else like anti-tank and horde should you need to ^^. it makes your army much harder to kill and they have rear armour 11 so even marines without a powefist can't do a thing. also griffon for marbo? and switching one of those plasma guys for a regimental standard.
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I'd drop the sponsons off the LRBT, they're pretty useless and expensive. Give it a hull HF, even though it has a long range main gun you'll still be advancing.

Give the Griffon a hull HF for DS and Outflanking troubles.

That gives you 70 points because apparently you're 30 short. I'd roll with Sentinels, you're weak on long ranged anti-armor and Sentinels are great at charging hold back gun units like Battle Suits or Dev Squads.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    I'd drop the sponsons off the LRBT, they're pretty useless and expensive. Give it a hull HF, even though it has a long range main gun you'll still be advancing.

Give the Griffon a hull HF for DS and Outflanking troubles.
    Really how can you say that 2 plasma cannon shots for 20pts each is a waste? combined with the battle cannon I can pretty much wipe out most MEQ targets I fire at?

The griffon does have a heavy flamer, just forgot to mention it.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Because I never advocate any Russes besides a generic or a Demolisher and I never advocate sponsons. They simply aren't needed. You're making an expensive tank more expensive and hindering it's ability to advance.

A well played Mech army leaves little to nothing in the backfield, especially nothing with AV14. You need that Russ to block sides on your Chimeras and add to an imposing rush. If it's doing those important jobs, the sponsons won't be firing. You're paying 40 points for 2 backup guns to the turret basically.

I always keep my armor up front and moving unless there is an OVERWHELMING (caps for emphasis) Melta threat which isn't typical. If it loses the turret, I use it the same way Ork players use Battlewagons, Tank Shocks, armor protection and in our case, Hull HF.

Explanation = explained.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

just to echo prince of excesses advice and that you should listen to him ^^, he is the msot experience 40k member that i have met ^^. hopefully the guy who's better is me .
    thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Proiteus View Post
    Really how can you say that 2 plasma cannon shots for 20pts each is a waste? combined with the battle cannon I can pretty much wipe out most MEQ targets I fire at?
    Because the Russ will have to stay still to fire them. Moving tanks can:

1) Adapt to the field and get cover when they need them.
    2) Deny cover to their targets.
    3) Provide cover to infantry and other tanks.
    4) Tank shock units.
    5) Make it a LOT more difficult for assaulters to kill them.

Nobody ever believes me until they see it, but my Russes live (on average) twice as long as they used to when I put sponsons on them. That means the Battle Cannon is firing 2-3 turns more, and those shots are in the late game, when the target environment it richest. So the net gain is 10+ more dead MEQs than I had before.

Your list is pretty strong. Here's my suggestions:

1) Put a lascannon on the Russ so it'll have a better chance of taking out transports on turns one and two. You'll also want a second Russ, or preferably a Demolisher with a hull HFlamer.

2) Swap the Banewolves for Hellhounds. The extra 12" range of the Inferno Cannon makes all the difference. You can also put hull multi-meltas on them for shooting at transports on turns 1 and 2.

3) Get a squad of 3 scout sentinels with autocannons in there for (again) popping transports on turn 1. They're also great at tarpitting enemy squads.

4) Put your plasmas in a Vet Squad. Plasmas are great at defending an objective or the backfield in general. But you want that unit to be scoring as well, or you'll have to leave 2 tanks behind instead of one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

Here is what I hope is my final list, I've changed one of the Banewolves to a Hellhound for the extra range and horde killing factor, I've also swapped the command squad's plasmaguns with 2 of the vets squads. Cause if one of those overheat at least I've still got another 9 guardsmen to shoot with, plus they can still do damage when parked on an objective...

HQ
    90 – Command Squad: 4 Meltaguns.
    55 – Chimera: Heavy Flamer.

TROOPS
    100 – Veteran Squad: 3 Meltaguns

115 – Veteran Squad: 3 Plasmaguns

115 – Veteran Squad: 3 Plasmaguns

FAST ATTACK
    130 – Hellhound: Heavy Bolter.

145 – Banewolf: Multi-Melta.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    190 – Leman Russ Battle Tank: 2 Plasma Cannon Sponsons

160 – Manticore: Heavy Flamer

75 – Griffon Mortar: Heavy Flamer

TOTAL PTS: 1495
    TOTAL NO: 45 ( 10 )
    KILL PTS: 15

FOR GAMES OF 1750PTS

80 – 2 Scout Sentinels: Autocannons

10 –Upgrade Leman Russ to Eradicator

-- OR --

250 - Leman Russ Punisher: Heavy Bolters & Pask
    (Excellent against nids and orks which is good since my army theme is ork hunters)

80 – 2 Scout Sentinels: Autocannons
    (these will replace the griffon mortar to free up space for the Punisher.)

What do you think? Also which 250pt reinforcement should I go with?

Also I'm experimenting with a Valkyrie conversion, if it works the command squad will be mounted in it and I'll remove the Griffon and upgrade the Leman Russ to an Eradicator.
    Last edited by Proiteus; November 24th, 2009 at 13:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firsty, I agree with the previous posters that the Plasma Sponsons really aren't required, if possible you could change the LRBT to a Demolisher (also previously mentioned). But you seem to WANT the plasma sponsons, so I won't argue. They are a lot of fun if you get the time to use them

Secondly, I do think you were better off with the Plasmas on the CCS. The power of laying down 8 Twin-Linked plasma shots on a MC is all to good to pass up. And, I know, you'll still be abe to do that by ordering the other unit, but that means that they are forced to work in conjunction with eachother.

I also agree on exchanging the Griffon for Marbo. The Griffon is a nice piece of machinery, but as far as i've figured they're best used in pairs.

So if you've exchanged the Griffon for Marbo and switched the plasmas back to the CCS, you'd have 10pts left over to spend on whatever you'd like ^^

And for the larger games, I would actually advice on using the Infantry Platoon you posted first. It's always nice to have a firebase able to hold a home objective.

Otherwise I find it quite nice, altough I've always had a problem with the Chimelta-Vets spam ^^'

Anyways, I wish you good luck with this army ^^

Cheers ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

454 (x7)

But surely the Plasma guns are better for holding objectives and the vets can take losing a man, where is the command squad suffers a lot.

A friend has recommended I replace the Leman Russ and Hellhound with a Leman Russ Punisher with Pask & HB + replace the Griffon with a Standard Leman Russ or even a2nd Griffon?

He says since the rest of my army is mostly anti MEQ & armor it would give me a good weapon against hordes and monsterous creatures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast