gt 2000 point gunline wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gt 2000 point gunline wolves

As some of you may know I am quite young and wouldn't normally do gt(this being my first year in the hobby) but I spent sunday evening playing one of oxfords staff members (who finished second at gt) and I managed to pull of a win.

Anyway, he asked if I wanted to travel with him to gt and play in his team and I, of course, said yes. One thing he did not approve of however was how I built my list. I realised I will have to get a whole army adapted for next years gt. Now being young this takes alot of time(damn you employed people!). I do, however, have a birthday and odviously christmas coming up so I descided to try and buy the list through asking for it as presents.

I'm gunna need all the help I can get so any experienced tournement players could you please help me! Anyway, he used to run a gunline wolf army so I thought if adapted my current army I could borrow some of his experience and, in tandom with the new book, I might be able to pull of a win(only 1 thats all I ask!!!)
    Here it is.

Rune Priest,terminator armour,melta- bombs=125
    (10 Grey Hunters, 2 plasma-guns,mark of the wulfen)x2=350
    5 grey hunters,flamer=75 (inside land raider)
    (5 longfangs+ sergent, 3 missile launchers, 1 lascannon, 1 plasma cannon)x3=495
    5 wolf scouts, melta gun, mark of the wulfen=100
    5 wolf scouts, melta gun, mark of the wulfen, power weapon=115
    3 Thunderwolf Cavalry,storm shield=180

8 wolf guard,

5 terminator suits, cyclone missile launcher, power fistx2, =258-
    cyclone joins 10 man grey hunter squad(he also carries power fist)
    The other power fist termy joins other 10 man grey hunter squad
    The 3 normal termies join longfangs to act as bullet shields

2 power armour suits,wolf claw, mark of the wulfen, 2 combi-melta's, =76(join the 2 scout squads)

Dedicated Land Raider, extra armour=265-actually carries 5 man squad who stay in side and hopefully claim an objective

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any advice from experinced tourny players would be Oh so welcome.

Last edited by simplebut; November 16th, 2009 at 18:31.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

Hey, it's really cool that you've been invitied to join a group to the GT, and I wish you all the best. These types of lists are things your really going to have to play test alot, and I would suggest to paper proxy for a while before you get the right layout for your army, but lets go through what you've got so far and I'll give you my feedback

Rune Priest=100
    -Alright, great HQ unit, as that Jaws of the World Wolf is disgusting, but you might want to consider giving him something else, maybe like a invul save or something. Since at the end to said you had 59 points, consider spending the points all on this dude

-Personally, i'm not too too keen on the MotW stats but it could definitely be a hit or miss kind of dude. I would consider getting a PF instead but again, there is potential for that MotW to do some crazy damage but that's up to you.

-Small squad, but like you said, probably only meant to capture and objective while sitting in the Land Raider.

-Now i could figure it out but are they 495 points for the 3 squads or is it 495 points for 1. I'm assuming because of the rest of the stuff in ur army its 495 together, but whatever. These units are gonna be powerfully effective specially with the options to split fire.

-again, not keen on the MotW but thats up to you.
    -same thing as above. But here a good question. Are you planning on using thier superior outflank? Cause if you are, I would consider dropping the MotW on both squads and giving them 2 plasma pistols. Nothing says popping up behind enemy lines with guns that destroy MEQ's or back armour on tanks.

3 Thunderwolf Cavalry=150
    -plain? basis? these dudes are obviously a somewhat distraction unit because they dont really have anything to run behind. You gotta hope they have cover in the game cause I would just drop my vindicator shell on them and poof

8 wolf guard,

2 power armour suits,wolf claw, mark of the wulfen, 2 combi-melta's, =76(join the 2 scout squads)
    -Alright, good combo for the first couple termies but the power armoured ones are confusing me. So 1 dude has a Wolf Claw and the Combi-Melta. Other dude has MotW and a combi melta? Well....you can't do that for the second dude. MotW allows no other wargear combinations so while i believe you can pay the points for that second C-M, you will never be able to use it. Also, the Scouts special outflank rule sais nothing that it benefits the Wolf Guard being attached to it, so I would strongly argue that if you do that, they cannot Infiltrate/Outflank. I'm sure an argument or something will errupt, but there is no where in the book stating that it is transfered, but I dunno.

Dedicated Land Raider, extra armour=265-actually carries 5 man squad who stay in side and hopefully claim an objective
    -This is another sticky point. You are buying a dedicated transport for the Wolf Guard unit, but are putting a Grey Hunters squad, with a wolf guard into it. I believe you will not be allowed to start the game in this land raider, as it is not that squads dedicated transport (read dedicated transport rules in Rulebook), again another stupid wording in the book.

Final Thoughts
    I think you are really going to struggle against people in the big tournament with this list. You are playing a 2K game with only 3 troop choices. Mobility in your army is extremely limited to a land raider(which will probably sit still to fire its guns), and 3 thunderwolf cavalry with no extra gear. There is still the question of whether or not those Scouts can still outflank with the Wolf Guard, but even then they are outfitted for combat it looks like and its only a squad of 5, 6 with the WG. I think you may have put too many points into that Long Fangs units and probably don't need 3 units of them, 2 would probably suffice. As for the idea of a gun line, this is honnestly not it.

If you want an extreme gun line army, take 6 squads of Grey Hunters, with free Flamer, Free Plasma Gun and give them all a Razorback with heavy Bolters. After that, choose what you want but pretty much just sit those 6 Grey Hunters squads infront of their transports and continuously move up the field little by little all the while blasting the shit outta everything.

I will talk to the rest of the dudes at my work about the Wolf Guard and Scout combo and see what they say, and i'll post back.

Hope that helped a bit.
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Acez View Post
    Hey, it's really cool that you've been invitied to join a group to the GT, and I wish you all the best. These types of lists are things your really going to have to play test alot, and I would suggest to paper proxy for a while before you get the right layout for your army, but lets go through what you've got so far and I'll give you my feedback

Rune Priest=100
    -Alright, great HQ unit, as that Jaws of the World Wolf is disgusting, but you might want to consider giving him something else, maybe like a invul save or something. Since at the end to said you had 59 points, consider spending the points all on this dude
    Changes made. Thanks!
    -Personally, i'm not too too keen on the MotW stats but it could definitely be a hit or miss kind of dude. I would consider getting a PF instead but again, there is potential for that MotW to do some crazy damage but that's up to you.
    I turned away from power fists because they only get 1 attack for wolves. However, I have terminators with power fists in them instead(which have 2 attacks basic)
    -Small squad, but like you said, probably only meant to capture and objective while sitting in the Land Raider.

-Now i could figure it out but are they 495 points for the 3 squads or is it 495 points for 1. I'm assuming because of the rest of the stuff in ur army its 495 together, but whatever. These units are gonna be powerfully effective specially with the options to split fire.
    Yea there 3 squads.
    -again, not keen on the MotW but thats up to you.
    -same thing as above. But here a good question. Are you planning on using thier superior outflank? Cause if you are, I would consider dropping the MotW on both squads and giving them 2 plasma pistols. Nothing says popping up behind enemy lines with guns that destroy MEQ's or back armour on tanks. Yea I was hoping I could get the wolf guard in there and if I can and still keep the scout rule that'll be 2 melta's in the rear.
    I'll check with my gw staff aswell about the wolf guard. Odviouslu RAI is your meant to be able to.
    3 Thunderwolf Cavalry=150
    -plain? basis? these dudes are obviously a somewhat distraction unit because they dont really have anything to run behind. You gotta hope they have cover in the game cause I would just drop my vindicator shell on them and poof
    These boys sit behind the land raider and provide some good olf counter assault. i will however make a few changes.

8 wolf guard,

-Alright, good combo for the first couple termies but the power armoured ones are confusing me. So 1 dude has a Wolf Claw and the Combi-Melta. Other dude has MotW and a combi melta? Well....you can't do that for the second dude. MotW allows no other wargear combinations so while i believe you can pay the points for that second C-M, you will never be able to use it.
    Its only in combat that you can't use other weapons.
    Also, the Scouts special outflank rule sais nothing that it benefits the Wolf Guard being attached to it, so I would strongly argue that if you do that, they cannot Infiltrate/Outflank. I'm sure an argument or something will errupt, but there is no where in the book stating that it is transfered, but I dunno.
    Again Rai vs Raw. I'll ask the lads at gw.
    -This is another sticky point. You are buying a dedicated transport for the Wolf Guard unit, but are putting a Grey Hunters squad, with a wolf guard into it. I believe you will not be allowed to start the game in this land raider, as it is not that squads dedicated transport (read dedicated transport rules in Rulebook), again another stupid wording in the book.
    Yea I was gunna hide the marines first turn then just hop them in.
    Final Thoughts
    I think you are really going to struggle against people in the big tournament with this list. You are playing a 2K game with only 3 troop choices. Mobility in your army is extremely limited to a land raider(which will probably sit still to fire its guns), and 3 thunderwolf cavalry with no extra gear. There is still the question of whether or not those Scouts can still outflank with the Wolf Guard, but even then they are outfitted for combat it looks like and its only a squad of 5, 6 with the WG. I think you may have put too many points into that Long Fangs units and probably don't need 3 units of them, 2 would probably suffice. As for the idea of a gun line, this is honnestly not it.

If you want an extreme gun line army, take 6 squads of Grey Hunters, with free Flamer, Free Plasma Gun and give them all a Razorback with heavy Bolters. After that, choose what you want but pretty much just sit those 6 Grey Hunters squads infront of their transports and continuously move up the field little by little all the while blasting the shit outta everything.
    If I advance them i lose their 24 inch guns and that all costs about 1150. Then again it is 60 marines and 6 tanks. I'll think on it.
    I will talk to the rest of the dudes at my work about the Wolf Guard and Scout combo and see what they say, and i'll post back.

Hope that helped a bit.
    It was great. Thanks

Lol I just Realised this is gunna get longer and longer.

leeds yorkshire england am not a yorkie though
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theway i read motw is that you cant use any cc weapons/wargear now for a verylong qoute

a model bearin motw has the rending speacialrule in cc further he replaces his usual atttack withd6+1 blah blah these are made with claws teeth and not affected by war gear

no where does itsay he cant use ranged weaponary

thats the way i read it anyways
    i rock my world

+ Reply to Thread