First SW list--1500 pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First SW list--1500 pts

I'm starting a Space Wolves army, and due to my lack of prior experience creating 40k/successful Fantasy lists, I thought that I would put it here in order to receive constructive advice from more experienced players. Anyway...

The list:

HQ:
    Battle Leader Loki Thunderfist (Yes, I name my guys.) 155
    power armor, 2 wolf claws, grenades, wolftooth necklace, saga of warrior born

Njal Stormcaller in Runic Terminator Armor 270
    Troops:
    10 Grey Hunters 265
    10 power armor, 8 bolter + 2 plasma, 9 bolt pistol + plasma pistol, 9 C.C. weapon + power weapon, 10 grenades, wolf standard, mark of wulfen, Rhino w/ Dozer blade + additional storm bolter

15 Blood Claws 265
    15 power armor, 12 bolt pistol + flamer + melta + plasma pistol, 14 C.C. weapon + power fist, 15 grenades

Elite:
    10 Wolf Scouts 270
    10 scout armor, 2 bolter + 5 snipers + 2 power weapon + missile launcher, 8 C.C. weapon + 2 bolter, 10 grenades, 10 melta bomb, mark of the wulfen

Dreadnought 140
    Multi-melta, Dreadnought C.C. weapon w/ storm bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight, Drop Pod
    Heavy Support:
    Vindicator 135
    Demolisher cannon, 2 storm bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight, siege shield

My plan with this force is to divide it into groups. On one flank I will have the vindicator blast any infantry or tank on that side of the field, and on the other side I will have the Rhino followed by the Battle Leader. The Grey Hunters will disembark at about 12" away and rapid fire with plasma guns and bolters. The Leader will boost their combat prowess by re-rolling to wound and getting extra attacks. The Dreadnought will deep strike in right behind enemy lines, and due to the Drop Pod's Inertial guidance system, will almost be guerenteed to remain in place if there are alot of enemies near the drop zone. The 'Claws will charge the strong point of the enemy force, and Njal will hang out nearby them and kill anything that gets close. In addition, the Scouts will infiltrate into cover and use their variety of heavy weapons to slaughter multi-wound models, and pretty much anything else in range. If they do get charged, their power weapons will help increase combat prowess.
    I do have a couple of tricks on this list. For example, in the Claws unit, I purchased the flamer "first", and the melta in addition, so I save 5 points. Yay, loopholes!

Last edited by Hammerfist; November 17th, 2009 at 03:00.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you've added your points up incorrectly. You might want to redo the math. And make sure for your character that you're using the cost for wolf claws in power armor and not the cost for them in terminator armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for pointing out my errors, vote4pedro. I seem to have incorrectly added my points for the Blood Claws and Grey Hunters.
    Last edited by Hammerfist; November 17th, 2009 at 22:00.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfist View Post
    I'm starting a Space Wolves army, and due to my lack of prior experience creating 40k/successful Fantasy lists, I thought that I would put it here in order to receive constructive advice from more experienced players. Anyway...

The list:

HQ:

Perhaps Thunderclaw would be a better name for Loki as Thunderfist sort of implies that he would use a powerfist or something equally spectacular. I would have to recommend against using such an expensive model with no invulnerable save. I would say you should probably up him to be a Wolf Lord with a Belt of Russ or remove the saga and keep him cheaper (though 120pts still seems pretty expensive for someone that will be smote with a power fist the moment he sees combat-> I can tell you that from experience with my WGBL Hapy Hardcore who wields just a frostblade for a mere 95pts).

Troops:
    10 Grey Hunters 215
    10 power armor, 8 bolter + 2 plasma, 9 bolt pistol + plasma pistol, 9 C.C. weapon + power weapon, 10 grenades, wolf standard, mark of wulfen, Rhino w/ Dozer blade + additional storm bolter

15 Blood Claws 300
    15 power armor, 12 bolt pistol + flamer + melta + plasma pistol, 14 C.C. weapon + power fist, 15 grenades

Plasma pistols aren't worth the points here as you'll probably on shoot it once and it has a pretty good chance at failing to kill your opponent. I would also advise you to choose either the MotW or the power weapon, but not both as it would make the unit too points intensive. MotW is mathematically superior to power weapons on Grey Hunters.

With the blood claws I would once again recommend against the plasma pistol. With their BS and its point cost its not worth the extra points.

Elite:
    10 Wolf Scouts 270
    10 scout armor, 2 bolter + 5 snipers + 2 power weapon + missile launcher, 8 C.C. weapon + 2 bolter, 10 grenades, 10 melta bomb, mark of the wulfen

Dreadnought 140
    Multi-melta, Dreadnought C.C. weapon w/ storm bolter, smoke launchers, searchlight, Drop Pod
    That scout unit looks like it should be two scout units. Sniper rifles and missile launchers are heavy weapons so those scouts should infiltrate to a good firing position and shoot. The power weapons, MotW, and melta bombs insinuate that you want the unit in CC but if you move to enter CC you can't fire off your ML or your snipers and you can't use them in combat. If you want to take wolf scouts I would suggest you take one unit with sniper rifles and the ML and another unit with the power weapons, MotW, and meltabombs though either way I don't think it would be that great of a unit.

The dreadpod doesn't seem that good of an idea because it will be up on its own. At best it would snipe a single tank before getting nuked and at worst it would miss before getting nuked. You might just deploy it closer to where you're heading and that would be fine, but in that case you have to consider if the price of the drop pod is worth it just to start 6"-12" closer to the foe.

Heavy Support:
    Vindicator 135

Considering that you want to fire the Demo Cannon as much as possible and you can't fire other weapons with an ordinance weapon the extra storm bolter is a bit useless.

My plan with this force is to divide it into groups. On one flank I will have the vindicator blast the brains out of any infantry or tank on that side of the field, and on the other side I will have the Rhino followed by the Battle Leader. The Grey Hunters will disembark at about 12" away and rapid fire with plasma guns and bolters. The Leader will boost their combat prowess by re-rolling to wound and getting extra attacks. The Dreadnought will deep strike in right behind enemy lines, and due to the Drop Pod's Inertial guidance system, will almost be guerenteed to remain in place if there are alot of enemies near the drop zone. The 'Claws will charge the strong point of the enemy force, and Njal will hang out nearby them and kill anything that gets close. In addition, the Scouts will infiltrate into cover and use their variety of heavy weapons to slaughter multi-wound models, and pretty much anything else in range. If they do get charged, their power weapons will help increase combat prowess.
    I do have a couple of tricks on this list. For example, in the Claws unit, I purchased the flamer "first", and the melta in addition, so I save 5 points. Yay, loopholes!
    So you want to keep the WGBL following the rhino from outside? Thats a good way to get him sniped off with a missile launcher. You would probably be better off dropping a special weapon and a guy from your GH unit and adding him to it. I've already mentioned how I feel about his loadout so I won't say anything else about it.

It looks like your dread strategy is to give the opponent a dread to kill. If you really want to pod him then you should probably Pod him around where you're going with your rhino so he's not as close to the enemy and an easy kill. The way you have it planned he won't amount to much as at best the enemy can send a cheap unit like a unit of guardsmen into him and he'll be trapped for the rest of game or at worst the enemy would toast him with a meltagun and just continue on as if nothing happened. Its not like there are a lot of targets for a short ranged unit on turn 1 or 2. Not only that but considering the state of vehicles in the game right now he probably won't make back his points if you drop him behind enemy lines.

The BCs footslog so you'll probably be trying to run with them. That means that Njal wouldn't be using his awesome psychic powers. If you don't run then its pretty much a 15 wound unit that won't get into contact with the enemy until near the end of the game.

With the scouts you have a crapload of points in their close combat abilities but if the opponent never charges them then you've just wasted 45pts that could have been used somewhere else. Add in the fact that you gave them all meltabombs and thats another 50pts thats wasted. You could drop the close combat weapons and the meltabombs and use those 95pts somewhere else, like perhaps upgrading your WGBL to a Wolf Lord with a Belt of Russ.

If you remove all the plasma pistols, the meltabombs and PWs from the scout unit, either the MotW or the PW from the GH unit, and the wolf standard you would have 155pts left. You can use 55pts of that to make Loki a Wolf Lord with a Belt of Russ and then spend the other 100pts on some other stuff. You could probably combine it with the scouts you have now for 275pts to play around with. With that you could make a 6 man unit with 5 sniper rifles and a ML for 100pts and with the last 175pts you could make an anti-tank unit (7 w/meltabombs, meltagun, MotW) and still have 10pts to give the dread a heavy flamer with. If you don't care too much about the scouts you could switch them out for 3 HF/MM land speeders and still have 65pts left to give the dread a heavy flamer and perhaps combine with the BC unit to split them into two units of BCs, one for each character. Another use for the 275pts would be a land raider crusadier with a multi-melta and extra armour. Its a great transport for large units and it can hold all 14BCs and Njal. The meltagun on the BCs isn't that great anyways as its only BS3. As you would have cut a BC you would have 15pts left to perhaps give your Rhino EA.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfist View Post
    HQ:

Ok.

Troops:
    10 Grey Hunters 265

Way too expensive. Get rid of unnecessary upgrades like the plasma pistol, dozer and stormbolter. I would also go for melta over plasma instead. You'll need the Anti-tank firepower. Also I would consider putting the Battle Leader with this squad, meaning you're going to have to get rid of 1 GH and 1 special weapon.

15 Blood Claws 265
    I would get rid of the plasma pistol and have either 2 flamers or 2 meltas, not 1 of each. It's generally a good idea not to mix-n-match special weapons. Also, Pfist on a base 1A model is not a good idea. Get power weapon instead. Pfists belong on wolf guards.
    Elite:
    10 Wolf Scouts 270

Way too expensive. You need to give them a purpose - either long-range sniping fire support, or sneak up behind enemy tanks and blow them up. If you're planning to use them to OBEL, then make them small in squads of 5 w/1x meltagun and 5x meltabombs, because next turn they'll be dead. Keep them as cheap as possible.

Dreadnought 140
    Give him a heavy flamer as well, because if you're playing swarm list, that MM isn't going to do you any good.

Heavy Support:
    Vindicator 135

Once again, too many upgrades. Just keep your vindicator plain with no upgrades.
    Your army has got only 3 vehicles (not counting the drop pod). It won't be too hard for the opponent to destroy them. You're also light on troops. In 1500 lists, I suggest you have 3 troop choices. Otherwise in Seize Ground missions, you're already at a disadvantage. I'd probably go something like this:

Battle Leader - wolf claws, wolftooth necklace, saga of warrior born - 155
    Njal Stormcaller in Runic Terminator Armor - 270

9x Grey Hunters - 1x meltas, MotW, power weapon, rhino - 205 (Battle Leader here)
    10x Grey Hunters - 2x meltas, MotW, power weapon, rhino - 220
    15x Blood Claws - 2x meltas, power weapon - 245

5x Wolf Scouts - meltagun, 5x meltabombs - 105
    Dreadnought - MM, HF, drop pod - 150

Vindicator - 115

Total - 1465pts

You have some points to play around with.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you both for the bits of guidance. I have taken into account your suggestions and redid the list so that it looks a little more like this:

HQ:

Wolf Lord Loki Thunderclaw (I really have no reason not to change his name) 210
    2 Wolf claws, Wolftooth Necklace, Belt of Russ, Saga of Warrior Born

the same old Njal 270

Troops:

9 Grey Hunters 190
    Melta, Mark of the Wulfen, Rhino

10 more Greys 220
    Wulfen, Plasma gun, Wolf Standard, Drop Pod

15 Blood Claws 245
    2 Meltas, Power Weapon

Elite:

Dreadnought 105
    Multi-Melta

5 Scouts 145
    4 Snipers, Missile launcher

Heavy Support:

Vindicator 115

And that's it.
    Last edited by Hammerfist; November 17th, 2009 at 22:06. Reason: My melta disappeared

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

I have no problems with that. Looks good to me.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

+ Reply to Thread