First Space Marine list, and could use a little critique - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

First Space Marine list, and could use a little critique

Tomorrow me and my friend decided to swap armies for a 1k duel. I spent the day reading the codex and here is the list I came up with:

HQ

Librarian - spells: Smite + Gate of Infinity (goes with Sterngaurd)
    = 100 pts.

TROOPS

5 Scouts + Sniper Rifles + Camo Cloaks
    = 90 pts.

5 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Teleport Homer + Rhino: Dozer Blade
    = 170 pts.

5 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Teleport Homer + Rhino
    = 165 pts.

ELITES

6 Sterngaurd + 2 Meltaguns + Lightning Claw
    = 200 pts.

Dreadnought + Drop Pod: Locator Beacon
    = 150 pts.

FAST ATTACK

Assault Squad + Power Fist
    = 125 pts.

TOTAL = 1000 pts.

So there is the list. I play Tau normally so I wanted to taste close combat and be on the winning side of it hopefully

I plan on having my dread come in first turn and soak up fire to buy time for the rest of my army to close in. Valid? What should stay or go in this list to make it more effective as a fast assault type list?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by oceanwolf; November 24th, 2009 at 17:18.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

I think you're going to struggle with having 5-man Tactical Squads. How about combining the two (you'll get a free Missile Launcher/Heavy Bolter and Flamer for the compelte squad) and using the spare points to give your Sternguard a Drop Pod?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by oceanwolf View Post
    Librarian - spells: Smite + Gate of Infinity (goes with Sterngaurd)
    = 100 pts.
    SPELLS? What is he, some kind of heretic sorcerer?
    In a game this small, I'd give make him a Chaplain with Jump Pack and send him with your assault squad. He'll up their effectiveness much more than gate-hopping Sternguard are better than plain Sternguard. Your plan does work, but you could spend those 50 points of beacons and homers on something much more effective.
    5 Scouts + Sniper Rifles + Camo Cloaks
    = 90 pts.
    Good.
    5 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Teleport Homer + Rhino: Dozer Blade
    = 170 pts.
    5 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Teleport Homer + Rhino
    = 165 pts.
    Drop the dozerblade.
    If you do swap to a Chaplain, merge these and get them some heavy/special weapons. Those cheap weapons are the main strength of the tactical squads. Plasma cannons and meltas usually do me nicely against Tau.
    If you DON'T drop the lib, drop the scouts and make one of these a full squad. Whichever you do, make the Rhino into a Razorback.
    6 Sterngaurd + 2 Meltaguns + Lightning Claw
    = 200 pts.
    Swap the claw for a fist - claws can't hurt tanks. Get them a Razorback if you go with the Chaplain.
    Dreadnought + Drop Pod: Locator Beacon
    = 150 pts.
    It's going to get a bit lonely for this Dread in turn 1, but it's useful to make people panic with. With your opponent probably as new to Tau as you are to Astartes, this could be a real game winner. Don't expect it to survive long ;-)
    = 125 pts.
    [/QUOTE]
    Flamer here, other than that all good. Any spare points should go on extra men here.

If you're interested in my full Chaplain based list, let me know - I don't have time to post it right now.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    SPELLS? What is he, some kind of heretic sorcerer?
    In a game this small, I'd give make him a Chaplain with Jump Pack and send him with your assault squad. He'll up their effectiveness much more than gate-hopping Sternguard are better than plain Sternguard. Your plan does work, but you could spend those 50 points of beacons and homers on something much more effective.

Good.

Drop the dozerblade.
    If you do swap to a Chaplain, merge these and get them some heavy/special weapons. Those cheap weapons are the main strength of the tactical squads. Plasma cannons and meltas usually do me nicely against Tau.
    If you DON'T drop the lib, drop the scouts and make one of these a full squad. Whichever you do, make the Rhino into a Razorback.

Swap the claw for a fist - claws can't hurt tanks. Get them a Razorback if you go with the Chaplain.

It's going to get a bit lonely for this Dread in turn 1, but it's useful to make people panic with. With your opponent probably as new to Tau as you are to Astartes, this could be a real game winner. Don't expect it to survive long ;-)
    Flamer here, other than that all good. Any spare points should go on extra men here.

If you're interested in my full Chaplain based list, let me know - I don't have time to post it right now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips so far guys (a lot faster response time then on our Tau forum )

I had originally wanted to go with the Razorbacks, but I figured if I were to be moving at cruising speed every turn, it would be a waist of points to have those weapons. No weapons also make my transports a little less attractive to shoot which could help them survive a little longer. I am also very prone to rolling 1's for my suits difficult terrain tests, so I figured a dozer blade couldn't hurt if I was going to be plowing my way up the middle, but 5 free pts is nice... just don't think ones!

I think I like the Chaplain idea better than the Librarian. Re-rolls to hit seems like the perfect combo for the assault marines and saving on beacons and homers (only 40 pts) sort of makes sense, but then again, I am just going to buy another transport with those points :/ I wouldn't want another drop pod for them, as I run the risk of them not coming on until way later.

I had wanted the Sterngaurd to have a powerfist but couldn't afford it so they got the lightning claw instead but now they can afford one.

With the advice in mind, here is the revised list:

HQ

Chaplain + Jump Pack
    = 115 pts.

TROOPS

10 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Flamer + Missile Launcher + Rhino
    = 230 pts.

5 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Rhino
    = 150 pts.

ELITES

6 Sterngaurd + 1 Meltagun + Power Fist + Rhino
    = 240 pts.

Dreadnought + Drop Pod
    = 140 pts.

FAST ATTACK

= 125 pts.

TOTAL = 1000 pts.

On objective based missions the 10 man squad will split up with 4 regular marines and a missile launcher camping on an objective in my own base, while everything else charges up as fast as they can. On KP missions everyone will probably just push.

The Dreadnought will soak up fire and hopefully kill a tank or assault some crisis suits or something before it dies. Just as long as it buys me one turn from my friend shooting at my other things I will be happy.

Other than that the tactics speak for themselves. Better?
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Thanks for the tips so far guys (a lot faster response time then on our Tau forum )
    What can I say? Marines are known for their lightning responses ;-)
    I had originally wanted to go with the Razorbacks, but I figured if I were to be moving at cruising speed every turn, it would be a waist of points to have those weapons. No weapons also make my transports a little less attractive to shoot which could help them survive a little longer. I am also very prone to rolling 1's for my suits difficult terrain tests, so I figured a dozer blade couldn't hurt if I was going to be plowing my way up the middle, but 5 free pts is nice... just don't think ones!
    The way I see it, if you've got a Razorback and want to rush forward you can - but if you've a Rhino and want some coverfire for the unit that's just got out you've got a stormbolter and that's it. 5 points for a heavy bolter when you're not using the transport space anyway...
    I think I like the Chaplain idea better than the Librarian. Re-rolls to hit seems like the perfect combo for the assault marines and saving on beacons and homers (only 40 pts) sort of makes sense, but then again, I am just going to buy another transport with those points :/ I wouldn't want another drop pod for them, as I run the risk of them not coming on until way later.
    Aye, which is why you should always take pods in odd numbers. You *could* swap two Rhinos for Pods and just leave the bigger tactical squad deploying turn 1 while the half squad come down late game to hold objectives, personally I wouldn't bother

Chaplain + Jump Pack
    = 115 pts.
    10 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Flamer + Missile Launcher + Rhino
    = 230 pts.
    5 man Tac. Squad + Power Fist + Rhino
    = 150 pts.
    All good.
    6 Sternguard + 1 Meltagun + Power Fist + Rhino
    = 240 pts.
    I'd drop one man from this squad and using the points upgrade Rhinos to Razorbacks, and get the Assault Squad a special weapon. If you have more points left, get a guy in this squad a combi-melta for when you REALLY want to be sure what you aim at is dead.
    Dreadnought + Drop Pod
    = 140 pts.
    Good.
    = 125 pts.
    They could do with a flamer or melta, but otherwise good.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Well, two massacres on my part today. One was against the resident IG player in defend HQ, and the other was KP against my Tau . What can I say? Space Marines have got to be the easiest race I have ever played with. Every task I send them out to accomplish, they do it with such skill and grace that it makes me understand why they are the popular ones. But then again I went first both games and it could have been quite a bit different had I gone second.

The DS dreadnought definitely made his points both games and I feel it is a staple in this list. He soaked up a large amount of fire power both games, and in both games lived to tell about. The rhinos did there job nicely and I don't feel they need to be upgraded to razorbacks. In other lists I could see them being more effective, but in this list there are too many variables to get them to actually shoot their guns and I don't feel the five points are worth it, I think I would sooner go dozer blades then go razorbacks. Assault squad and chaplain... oh, yes! Both games I split up the 10 man team and kept the rocket guy back to camp on objective and snipe. Ya, so it worked out well.

Thanks again for your help guys, and who knows you may see a little more of me on this side of the forum.

P.S. FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

What can I say? Space Marines have got to be the easiest race I have ever played with. Every task I send them out to accomplish, they do it with such skill and grace that it makes me understand why they are the popular ones.
    Costing 17 points per man for the standards troops choice does give us excellent all rounders
    My Deathwatch Campaign

+ Reply to Thread