500 Pt 2s tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500 Pt 2s tourney

Ok so there is a 500pt army per participant and you get a teammate (of your choosing so I am bringing my Tau friend) As far as I know you have to have a HQ, Troop, Heavy, Elite, and Fast Attack before getting a second of anything.

I need a decent list but all I have are

Sternguard full 10
    Vanguard full 10
    Tactical full 10 x2
    Assault full 10 x2
    1 Captain Shrike (can take as a normal captain if i want to)

I am hoping to put my sternguard in there as well but I am not sure how any ideas?

My Tau teammate is using a 11 Fire Warriors and one Shield Drone, 2 Crisis Suits, 1 Broadside, 1 Devilfish.

Please Help

"Basically don't imagine rules that aren't there, you'll only hinder yourself." ~realitycheque
    Still new to 40k sp please have patience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Lysenis View Post
    As far as I know you have to have a HQ, Troop, Heavy, Elite, and Fast Attack before getting a second of anything.
    So does each 500 point army need to have one of everything before getting a second, or is it across the whole 1000 points of the team? Based on what you have it would be easier if it was the second, because then you could just take units in slots that the Tau player doesn't have. Actually, considering it's only 500 points per person, I'm going to assume that it is across the whole team.

*goes to check GW website to see which force org slots the Tau units go in*

So am I right in saying that the Tau player has Troops, Elite and Heavy?

Okay, so I suppose you need an HQ and a Fast Attack before you can get anything else for the team. It would make sense to take an Assault Squad with the Jump Pack captain then. It's up to you whether you want to use him as Shrike or not.

I'd probably go for a standard ten man tactical squad with no particular upgrades other than the free heavy/special weapon, use Shrike as a Jump Pack captain and attach him to a unit of assault marines. They could be very useful considering how weak the Tau are in combat. I'd try to keep them in a position where they can help the Tau out if it looks like they're about to be swamped.

Of course the Sternguard are an awesome unit, but at this point level I'd rather have more bodies on the field.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    So does each 500 point army need to have one of everything before getting a second, or is it across the whole 1000 points of the team? Based on what you have it would be easier if it was the second, because then you could just take units in slots that the Tau player doesn't have. Actually, considering it's only 500 points per person, I'm going to assume that it is across the whole team.

*goes to check GW website to see which force org slots the Tau units go in*

So am I right in saying that the Tau player has Troops, Elite and Heavy?

Okay, so I suppose you need an HQ and a Fast Attack before you can get anything else for the team. It would make sense to take an Assault Squad with the Jump Pack captain then. It's up to you whether you want to use him as Shrike or not.

I'd probably go for a standard ten man tactical squad with no particular upgrades other than the free heavy/special weapon, use Shrike as a Jump Pack captain and attach him to a unit of assault marines. They could be very useful considering how weak the Tau are in combat. I'd try to keep them in a position where they can help the Tau out if it looks like they're about to be swamped.

Of course the Sternguard are an awesome unit, but at this point level I'd rather have more bodies on the field.

It is spread across the whole 1000 points. I am going to get more clarification on if we both need our own HQ and troops. If not then I am free to take as many points as I need for Fast Attack and Elite though I am still hoping to fit at least 5 Sternguard with a Drop Pod in there. . . if I can that is. The jump captain sounds good as well. . . .hmmmm

My teammate will be using:
    XV8 Shas'el in Fireknife configuration
    11 Fire Warriors with one Shield drone so that he can squad it into the Devil Fish
    WE thought kroot but we took them out and are replacing them with a Crisis suit likely to be in Deathrain Config
    XV88 Broad Side (I dont have ANY Heavy atm which is killing me bigtime!!!!)
    Thats about it actually. He is fielding all that with 500 points which is surprising tro me. IF I do have to take atleast an HQ and troops I have the fast attack covered while his Crisis Suit takes care of the Elite, and the Broadside takes care of the Heavy support while I keep things off of him.

Any other ideas?
    "Basically don't imagine rules that aren't there, you'll only hinder yourself." ~realitycheque

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    238 (x6)

I'm afraid I can't really help too much because I don't know that much about Tau. I'm not even sure if his army has an HQ in it. I guessed that it didn't, which is why I thought that you might have to take the jump captain.
    Thou shalt remember:
    Warhammer Fantasy armies do NOT have Codices. They have Army Books.

LINK - Guitarists of LO Group

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Get the rules for the tournament, and we'll be able to help you build a good list. Sounds a bit like the rules for the latest doubles tournaments - they have the "you have to have one of each before you can have a second" but they're 1000 points EACH, rather than split. You also needed an HQ and 2 troops for each army as per standard IIRC...
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Get the rules for the tournament, and we'll be able to help you build a good list. Sounds a bit like the rules for the latest doubles tournaments - they have the "you have to have one of each before you can have a second" but they're 1000 points EACH, rather than split. You also needed an HQ and 2 troops for each army as per standard IIRC...
    That sounds like how he explained it actually. but with 500 pts. which is kinda harsh on Space Marines
    That puts Space Marines at a disadvantage then because our HQ and 2 troops would cost ALL our points unless I choose to combat squad. . .
    Last edited by Lysenis; November 25th, 2009 at 22:35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, how about coming up with an army for if you can share troops+HQ and an army if not?
    Since I rather Tau is fairly shooty, you might want to go along with that, or contradict it to make up the weak spots. I wouldn't fear combat squads, but I would rather the choice xD.
    You could use 1 10 man tact squad and a unit of snipers, which if say a 100 point HQ still leaves you with a minimum of 155 points to spend, which ain't too shabby. Although obviously if you dont have them thats a problem...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea I lack the sniper squad atm I was planning on getting some after the first (Paycheck day )

Ok so this is what I have so far.

Captain (Going to squad it with the Assault Marines)
    Power sword
    Bolt Pistol
    Jump Pack
    140 Total

Tactical Squad (Not Combat)
    Flamer
    Missile Launcher
    170 Total

Assault Squad (Atm only 8 Marines in the squad)
    Power Fist
    179 Total

That is 489 pts should I add in an extra Flamer on the Assault or what?
    Last edited by Lysenis; November 26th, 2009 at 00:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the type of tournament you are talking about was in a white dwarf from earlier this year. The rules were this

Partnered teams of two players with a total of 1000pts between them.
    Each player has 500pts and 500 only. Cannot use partners spare points.
    Each player must have 1 HQ and 1 Troop.
    The team in total can have 1 fast attack, 1 elite and 1 hvy support.
    Once there is one each of the above then the team can take a second of each.
    So you could have 1 FA 1 Elite and 2 Hvy support but not 1 Elite and 2 Hvy support.

We are just about to start something similar in our club. We did one earlier in the year with just 3 teams and it was great fun. The new one is 7-8 teams of doubles.

My list is

Librarian (HQ)

Tactical squad x 10 (TROOP)
    Flamer
    Multi-melta

Dreadnought (ELITE)
    Assault cannon
    Hvy Flamer
    Extra armour

Drop Pod

Land speeder (FAST ATTACK)
    495 total points

My ally is going eldar (not sure on upgrades) with

Farseer (HQ)
    Singing spear, guide

Dire Avenger x 5 (TROOP)
    Exarch with bladestorm and catapults

Falcon grav tank (HVY SUPPORT)
    Star engines, holo fields and scatter laser

Wraithlord with sword and brightlance (HVY SUPPORT)

So thats 1 elite, 1 fast attack and 2 hvy support and a HQ and troop each

We basically plan to hit hard and fast. Drop pod and skimmers (with dire avangers) up the field in turn 1 and then use the librarian gate of infinity power once cc units close on the tac squad. Should be fun with both the wraithlord and dreadnought on the table together!

I find that the best thing to do on these 500pt games is sit down with your ally (Tau in your case) and have a chat about how your units can complement each other. The last time we played this i had tau with eldar partner and we did pretty well with him filling in the cc blindspot of my army, whereas i provided long range firepower with a hammerhead, firewarriors, gun drones and commander.

Your list looks similar to one i toyed with but withbut mine had no power fist, an extra assault marine and a plasma pistol on the captain. In the end i decided to go with the librarian for the psychic power nullification and the fact that his own powers will be useful in this size (expecially null zone against daemons!)

If you wanted to use sternguard you could go

Captain 115pts
    lightning claw
    bolt pistol

Tactical squad x 10 170pts
    Flamer
    Multi-melta/missile launcher

Sternguard x 5 125pts

Razorback 40pts or drop pod (450 total so far)

Landspeeder for 50pts or a rhino for the tactical squad and a combi-weapon or two for the sternguard

I quite like the idea of the Rhino as it means you have a fully mechanized force. However you need to find out what your tau partner is using as he may ask you to fill the Fast attack slot, so take the land speeeder then. It all depends if his 2nd crisis suit is a HQ bodyguard or Xv8 elite choice

Sorry to drone on. If you have no transports try

Captain (standard equipment)
    Tac squad x 10
    Sternguard x 5
    Assault aquad x 5
    495 total

(this was just a quick list to use what you have at the moment)
    Last edited by furstenburg; November 26th, 2009 at 22:25.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that is extremly helpful!!! I was asked to fill the FA slot and since I do not have a Land Speeder I am using the major point drain Assault Squad (8 Assault Marines and Captain)

+ Reply to Thread