2000 Mech Guard w/ Platoons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Mech Guard w/ Platoons

I usually run full mech vet, but I've been getting tooled lately by my friends anti-mech SM list (Vulkan w/ raiders, TH/SS termies, speeders, preds, tac squads in rhinos, melta on everything that can have it), so I've decided to switch things up a bit by adding a few platoons.

HQ - 210

CCS
    -4 X melta
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF

CCS
    -Autocannon
    -Vox

Troops – 840

Platoon Command Squad
    -Melta X 4
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Vox
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon

Platoon Command Squad
    -Melta X 4
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Vox
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon

Veteran Squad
    -Plasma X 3
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF

Veteran Squad
    -Plasma X 3
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF

Fast Attack – 390

Vendetta

Vendetta

Banewolf

Heavy Support – 560

LR Demolisher - Hull Heavy Flamer

LR Executioner
    -Plasma Cannon Sponsons, Hull Heavy Flamer

The 4 infantry squads blob into 2 groups of 2 and camp 1 or 2 objectives/area cover. The autocannon CCS stays near them and gives them orders. Chimera squads, bane wolf and demolishers advance up the field. Vendettas and plascutioner hang back and provide long range fire support. I know the PCS' are only BS3, but with 4 melta guns and a possible bring it down order from the melta CCS, they should be able to reliably take out heavy tanks. The demolishers can also threaten heavy tanks if they have to (can you tell how much I hate land raider w/ TH/SS termie rushes?).

So what do you guys think, anything I could change to make it better?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you drop one PCS (you don't need 2 anyway), you make back 125 points. The other can swap to flamers (so their BS won't be an issue, and they make a sort of ghetto Hellhound/Banewolf), making you another 20 points. Downgrading the vets from plasma to melta makes another 30 (the demolishers and executioners should more than handle your AP2 needs).

With the 175 (isn't it surprising how much you can trim?) that gives you, you can do a bunch of things. Something I think that you'd like considering your hatred of your enemy's elites would be a Psyker Battle Squad of 8 and a chimera for 155 points, and then you can throw those extra 20 points on super-cheap HB sponsons for the Vendettas. Alternatively, you can get a combined squad out of your 4 infantry squads and drop one vox to get your order-giving CCS a chimera to keep them safe, demolitions for your vets (an S8 AP2 democharge is very helpful), and have exactly enough points left over for Marbo for more AP2 blastly goodness.
    My avatar is from when I tried to draw myself in MSpaint a year or so ago.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

Despite it's popularity on LO, full-mech guard is not the most competitive build, something around the lines of what you have above is where it's at.

A couple things:
    1. I would keep the second PCS. A PCS with 4 Melta-Guns has the same hit ratio as a squad of Veterans for 30 points cheaper.
    2. Why two CCS. I would stick to one w/ Plasma Guns to provide order support, leave the Chim-Melta hunting to PCSs.
    3. I think you need more Infantry squads. 40 Guardsmen can't stand up to much, I would aim for 3/4 squads per platoon.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; December 3rd, 2009 at 17:34.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you think of the infantry squad loadout, should I be giving them a special weapon? Also, is putting power weapons and a commissar in the blobs worthwhile?

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

vendetta over banewolves anyday. Plus i would go all demolsihers. your lonely russ is just too expensive and all eggs in one basket. plus you don't really need another CCS. get a regimental flag to keep your infantry squads on the board.

Your also wasting the potential of the vendetta transports.

thanks
    antique_nova
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by jcage View Post
    What do you think of the Infantry squad load-out, should I be giving them a Special Weapon? Also, is putting Power Weapons and a Commissar in the blobs worthwhile?
    1. Just give them an Auto-Cannon, forget the Special, they're there to hold objectives, crack transports, and mass FRFSRF stuff to death.
    2. Meh, S3 I3 Power Weapons don't impress me. If you're going to give the Commissar something give him a Power Fist. However, I would fore-go the Power Weapon/Power Fist upgrade altogether. The Commissar is there to make them stubborn and give them Ld 9, (after the first Sergeant has been executed of course), nothing more.

Antique Nova makes a good point, you should take advantage of the Vendetta transport capacity for flat out objective grabs. I think the best units for this are PCSs or Special Weapon teams, both are nice and cheap.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; December 3rd, 2009 at 17:31.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the C & C guys. Revised list:

HQ - 155

CCS
    -3 X plasma
    -Vox
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF

Troops – 955

Platoon Command Squad
    -Melta X 4
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Vox
    -Commissar
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    Special Weapon Squad
    -Flamer X 3

Platoon Command Squad

-Melta X 4
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Vox
    -Commissar
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    Special Weapon Squad
    -Flamer X 3

Platoon Command Squad
    -Melta X 4
    -Chimera w/ ML, HF
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon
    -Vox
    -Commissar
    Infantry Squad
    -Autocannon

Fast Attack – 390

Vendetta

Vendetta

Vendetta

Heavy Support – 495

Basically the demolishers and chimeltas advance up the field, and the infantry squads provide fire support and camp objectives. The 2 special weapon squads ride in vendettas and go for objective grabs.

Are 3 vendettas really necessary? I already have 6 autocannons to deal with light vehicles and 3 melta squads to deal with heavy vehicles, 3 vendettas feels like overkill to me.

I could drop the third platoon and run three infantry squads in each platoon instead, but will 2 blob squads be enough? If one of them is assaulted, they could be help up in assault all game and it would really reduce my fire power. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

56 (x1)

I'm not too keen on 3 Chim-Melta PCSs, (remember you also have 3 Demolishers and 3 Vendettas for anti-tank duty), 3 is a little over-kill; I would be inclined to stick with 2 and give the other PCS some Flamers, drop their Chimera, and put them in the third Vendetta. The points you save can be used to buy another Infantry Squad.

However, the above is really just preference, and the revised list looks very nice. Good luck with it!

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x6)

i agree with counterwavecounter
    Superior stamina may win battles, but the ability to quickly recover wins wars.

+ Reply to Thread