[1500] Competitive MechVets - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1500] Competitive MechVets

Just my most recent 1500pt list for review:

HQ:
    Company Command Squad
    w/ 4x Meltaguns, Astropath
    Chimera
    w/ Heavy Flamer, Multi-Laser
    [175]

Elites:
    Inquisitor
    2x Mystics, Emperor's Tarot
    [47]

Troops:
    (10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

(10) Veterans
    w/ 3x Meltaguns
    Chimera
    [155]

Fast Attack:
    Vendetta
    [130]

Vendetta
    [130]

Heavy:
    Leman Russ Demolisher
    w/ Hull Heavy Flamer
    [165]

Leman Russ Executioner
    w/ Hull Heavy Flamer, Plasma Cannon Sponsons
    [230]

[1497]

Just an aggressive, MechVet list. Lots of anti-horde, anti-tank, and general hurt for most armies.

Comments? Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Looks dead killy to me, boss
    I WANNA GET STUCK IN WIT DA BOYZ

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Eh, very solid, but fairly boring as well. Honestly you don't need that much melta. 2 Squads should be fine at 1500, especially considering the vendettas and demolisher.

Also why the Astropath? I don't see this list holding anything in reserves.

Inquisitor needs a ride. If you take a small platoon you can give an IG chimera to him. An autocannon platoon would also be very nice for sitting back and holding objectives while being able to take down transports at range. Special weapons squads in the Vendettas to make them scoring is also nice and very cheap.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    Eh, very solid, but fairly boring as well. Honestly you don't need that much melta. 2 Squads should be fine at 1500, especially considering the vendettas and demolisher.

Also why the Astropath? I don't see this list holding anything in reserves.

Inquisitor needs a ride. If you take a small platoon you can give an IG chimera to him. An autocannon platoon would also be very nice for sitting back and holding objectives while being able to take down transports at range. Special weapons squads in the Vendettas to make them scoring is also nice and very cheap.
    I'll second Hockeyman. It's solid and very efficient, but also kinda boring.

I like the Astropath, but of course I almost always use reserves.

The =][= can ride in one of the Vet Chimeras, leaving it's squad to ride in a Vendetta. So I don't see a problem there.

The only real change I'd make would be to drop the Plasma Russ in favor of Marbo and another Demolisher. But that's only because I hate paying that much for a Russ that can be taken out with one lucky shot.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kgoreham View Post
    I'll second Hockeyman. It's solid and very efficient, but also kinda boring.

I like the Astropath, but of course I almost always use reserves.

The =][= can ride in one of the Vet Chimeras, leaving it's squad to ride in a Vendetta. So I don't see a problem there.

The only real change I'd make would be to drop the Plasma Russ in favor of Marbo and another Demolisher. But that's only because I hate paying that much for a Russ that can be taken out with one lucky shot.
    Boring? Yes. Of course, when I am done, I hope that is forgiven because the army should look pretty great on the table!

Yea, the Astropath is solid gold. I can really mess with Reserve options that way, especially in Speadhead where it becomes downright unfair.

The Inquisitor does just that, or may often just ride in a Vendetta. That just depends, though, on what I am up against.

Yea, if I didn't have so much success with that silly Executioner, I would most likely run all Demolishers.

I rather dislike Marbo, to be honest, but I suppose I am a bit down on him since the last few times I used him (and Demo Charges as a whole), they tended to deviate onto him or some other unit of some value to me. I can roll up 5 hits on the Plascutioner, but when I need a single hit on Marbo, it goes right on top of him! Just my luck, I suppose.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

A second Demolisher would be nice, but with all the flamer templates and melta he could just attrition anything to death that he needs.

I personally like the Plasmacutioner build as well. Deals a disgusting amount of damage and if the opponent diverts a lot of firepower at it, meh, it means the meltavets are getting closer unmolested. Good call on moving one of the vets to the vendie.

I'd still reccomend a small platoon on foot to hold the home objective and get a few autocannons in there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd still reccomend a small platoon on foot to hold the home objective and get a few autocannons in there.
    I tried, I honestly did. Just not enough points to go around at 1500. I am working on a 2000pt list with Platoons for said reasons - objectives and autocannons. The added plus of Flamer PCS are nice, too.

Now comes the question - should I swap one squad out to Shotguns? Is it worth it for the chance to assault or not? In my AirCav lists, it was vital. In this list, though, is it worthwhile?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

I'd say no on the shotguns. You don't want to be assaulting anyone. Make you opponent waste his own assault phase killing your guardsmen.

And when they are through, they'll be nice and bunched for you to roast with heavy flamers or drop blasts on them.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I'd say no on the shotguns. You don't want to be assaulting anyone. Make you opponent waste his own assault phase killing your guardsmen.

And when they are through, they'll be nice and bunched for you to roast with heavy flamers or drop blasts on them.
    The tactic of letting your opponent cut through you in their assault phase and then stomp on them in your shooting phase... you can still do that when you have Shotguns, nowhere is it written that you have to assault when carrying assault weapons. I'm not saying that assaulting with Guardsmen is a good idea, it's not, however, there are situations when the ability to assault can be advantageous. Some examples...

1. It's last turn, you're on an objective and an enemy unit is within charge range. You can stand still and let them charge you thereby let them contest the objective, or worse, wipe your squad out and hold the objective. Or, you can go on the charge and keep your opponent out of that 3" zone. Who knows you might win combat.

2. None of your other units are in line of sight, your squad is going to get assaulted and they're going to get killed. Go on the charge and increase your chances of surviving/inflicting casualties.

3. It's kill points, there's an enemy unit with only a few models left in it. Go on the charge, most likely kill them, and free up your Veterans to choose another target next turn.

With the Meltas you'll have to be operating at 12" so you might as well take Shotguns because they don't reduce your squad's effectiveness in anyway and they give you more tactical flexibility.
    Last edited by counterwavecounter; December 4th, 2009 at 16:53.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by OldHat View Post
    I rather dislike Marbo, to be honest, but I suppose I am a bit down on him since the last few times I used him (and Demo Charges as a whole), they tended to deviate onto him or some other unit of some value to me. I can roll up 5 hits on the Plascutioner, but when I need a single hit on Marbo, it goes right on top of him! Just my luck, I suppose.
    Eh, bad luck happens. My demolisher had never scattered into my own guys before the game where it killed two of my own Chimeras. Just a luck blip, as it's never done that since.
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by counterwavecounter View Post
    The tactic of letting your opponent cut through you in their assault phase and then stomp on them in your shooting phase... you can still do that when you have Shotguns, nowhere is it written that you have to assault when carrying assault weapons. I'm not saying that assaulting with Guardsmen is a good idea, it's not, however, there are situations when the ability to assault can be advantageous. Some examples...
    Oh man, not this argument again.

1. Makes no real difference to the tactic.

2. It's pretty unusual to have a squad just standing around with nothing else to do.

3. Happens sometimes, but so does the opportunity for a FRFSRF order. Which you wouldn't have.

With the Meltas you'll have to be operating at 12" so you might as well take Shotguns because they don't reduce your squad's effectiveness in anyway and they give you more tactical flexibility.
    Well, for every "I killed the last guy in a squad with a charge!" story you can tell, I can tell one about sniping the last Ork off an objective with FRFSRF and the lasguns in a melta vet squad that had it's ride popped.

As ever, I think shotguns should be limited to squads whose intended role is assaulting someone off an objective in the late-game. Something like the 3 x Flamer Vet squad with shotguns that I'm currently modeling up to go in my Vendetta. Otherwise I pretty much stick to the block-em, shoot-em playbook.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast