1500 Mixed Force, Straken & Grey Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Mixed Force, Straken & Grey Knights

I have this idea for a balanced guard army including a strong CC section comprised of Straken and his command squad, who will be supporting and buffing a unit of grey knight terminators, and a unit of grey knights(fast attack for the deep strike too.)
    I have never built an IG army before, though I've attempted some research on the does and don'ts of the army. Without further ado, please C & C.

HQ - 290
    Company Command Squad
    -Straken
    -astropath
    -2x Bodyguards
    -Medi-kit
    -Vets replaced lasguns w/ laspistols for CC
    -Chimera Transport w/ 2x heavy flamers

Elites - 265
    Grey Knight Terminators
    -Brother Captain
    -4x Grey Knight Terminators
    -Holocaust Psychic power

Troops - 370
    Platoon A - 140
    -Platoon Command Squad
    -Squad A1
    --Grenade launcher
    -Squad A2
    --Grenade Launcher
    Platoon B - 130
    -Platoon Command Squad
    -Squad B1
    -Squad B2
    Veteran Squad - 100
    -3x Melta-guns

Fast Attack - 275
    Grey Knights
    -Justicar
    -9x Grey Knights

Heavy Support - 300
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    Leman Russ Battle Tank
    -----------------------------------
    Total points - 1500
    Scoring Troops - 60

The strat I would have here is to deploy my Leman Russes on the flanks of the army to start popping their transports or troops (I face Orks, Tau, or Space Marines around 4/5ths of the time.) While the Tanks are firing away, the command squad is moving up-field towards a good deepstriking location for my Grey Knights, and the platoon commanders would be marching their units up the field towards the objects or towards cover. Once the Grey Knights arrive with the help of the astropath, Straken and his crew hop out and get into the thick of battle alongside the Grey Knight's support. Straken's buffing abilities should help the close combat finish up rather well, bumping the Grey Knights up to str 7 and I 5 on the charge. Hopefully due to the medi-kit Straken's squad will be relatively safe in CC also. Vet's have their meltas to help take down other vehicles or tough units that confront the main force of infantry.

Problems?
    Command squad is expensive, if their Chimera gets gunned down they're open to fire = large point sink. Astropath may not be necessary, though the hope is that I can get my Grey Knights down to help break some vehicles and provide some in-your-face threat for the enemy. I don't have all that much ranged ant-tank.

So, please help to constructively pick apart the list at will and help me tighten everything up. Help me with the tricks of the trade for IG, the does and dont's and all, I'll take the criticism into consideration and try to make a really solid and balanced list.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

First off i'm no Grey Knight Expert so i'll stick mainly to Guard.

HQ:
    Straken is fine but maybe consider taking Flamers on his unit. 2 Flamers is fairly cheap and it can think down the numbers on hoards if the unit comits to combat. Marines the unit can deal with. Loads of orks they can't.
    There's no point having 2 h-Flamers on the Chimera. You can't move and fire both so stick to one and the Multilaser. At least then they can shoot some stuff up before they get close.

TROOPS:
    Platoons - Naked infantry squads are a bit useless. These are really the Gem of your army and you're making no use of them. Give these squads autocannons for some long range support for your Grey Knights. you've not no real transport popping power so these is where the platoons come in.
    Instead of taking 2 Platoons take 1 of about 35 men and give everyone Autocannon/G-Launcher combo for support.

Vets: these guys really need a Transport to be of any real use to you.

HEAVY:
    See if you can change these to Demolishers. The str10 will help you crack tough vehicles that the Autocannons can't deal with and the AP2 can hurt stuff that will otherwise walk through the lasgun fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

I wouldn't do a Purgation squad at all, DSing is kinda meh.

It's an interesting concept, but needs work.

Your infantry need something, autocannons are cheap and versatile. Pick up a Chimera for them so the GKTs can grab it and go. Add Psycannons too.

Vets need a Chimera and another unit.

Demos > Russes in this case, you need to bust up armor.

4 Chimeras and 2 Demos rolling towards people with cheap infantry fire support is pretty handy. A Bane Wolf or two or Troop GKs in stolen Chimeras would be handy.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a few exams in the next couple of days, so in the mean time I'll try to work the list around. I'm thinking of dropping astropath and maybe the bodyguard. Dropping platoon B and buffing up platoon A a bit, not sure what I'll do with the Vets, they might get dropped, but then I need something to fill the second troops slot. Might switch the grey knights to troops and get them to jack a tank, not certain quite yet what to do with them, they cannot fulfill a basic troop requirment though. With the stuff I'm dropping I'll look to find the points for the demolisher cannons, the only thing that turns me off of them is their 24" range : / but I guess they'll be crawling up the field and firing this way instead of just mosying around. Thanks for all the C&C, I'll tighten this all up the next chance I get.

Also, what do you guys think of penal legion troopers? Worth it when Straken's around?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

They're a "fun" unit, not terribly effective but amusing.

For your Troops, a cheap infantry platoon and 2-3 Vet squads in Chimeras is pretty much the standard. Cheap, flexible, and plenty of firepower/bodies/armor to go around. Toss GKs in Chimeras for a little added punch.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread