<1000 starting ultra 500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

starting ultra 500

hello there. i'm new to this and i was thinking about starting my first army.
    finally i thought of something like this:

HQ
    captain power sword, storm bolter 118

TROOPS
    1. tactical squad +5 fellas, lascannon, flamer
    sergeant power fist, melta bombs
    combat squads sarge, flamer, razorback

2. tactical squad - razorback

SUMMARY 498

captain would join power fist sergeant's combat squad in razorback to have some mobility to be able to cause some problems
    second squad would also get in razorback to get in range or to objective, or wherever they'd needed to be.
    second combat squad from first squad would stay in base to support them with that lascannon
    both razorback with just twinlinked heavy bolters to support further troops

i'd like to know, if the idea of those razorbacks is viable, or just stupid, or whatever.

also for further expansion to 750 i thought about dread with lascannon and predator with heavy bolter sponson, which would get me to 718. and then perhaps extra armour, or one more tactical space marine to 2nd squad.

so that's it. if anyone has some criticism or even suggestions, i'd be grateful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to the marines

Starting with your HQ choice,
    if you give the captain (or any model with a power sword) a stormbolter, they get an extra shot with a bit of extra range, but your lose 1 close combat attack for giving up your pistol, so I'd save the 3 points and just leave him with a pistol for close combat.

Sgt with powerfist is a great way to add some serious punch (no pun intended) to your tact squads. (great option)
    If you give him Meltabombs, you have to choose (when attacking a vehicle) if you wanna use the meltabomb or the powerfist... BOTH are Str8 and can hurt any vehicle, but you'll find you only would use the meltabombs vs something with 14 rear armour(very situational.. I personally don't run my tact squads at a Landraider or Monolith). You'd have to choose between 1 meltabomb attack or 3 powerfist attacks, since you'll be usually hitting on 4+ or 6+, the more attacks the better. If you're running the captain with the powerfist sgt, then just give the meltabombs to the captain! so they can both attack a vehicle but they're more of an infantry killer anyways.

The 10 man Tact is a good combo, combat squad out the lascannon marine with 4 normal bolter marines for wounds on him and pick off tanks (you won't see too many in a 500 poing game, but for the 1 you do, you're ready!) Good choice.

The 5 man, I don't use these, but you may find they do you good, I find them a tad squishy, but I can never roll 3+ saves for the life of me. If you can wiggle out 15 points, give this 2nd sgt a power sword so he can be a little more scary. (4 attacks on the charge always gets me a good couple of kills.

I like the Razorback, its a good option, but in my army, they're not the ONLY thing to shoot at... you'll find if you have only 2 razorbacks coming up the field are NOT a very reliable transport if your opponent even has a simple str6+ gun. but for 500 points, very affordable!

I like to run my Razorback on a flank with my commander and a 5 man tact also, but I always bring plenty more for them to shoot at (dreadnought, speeder, drop pods etc.) they ALWAYS ignore the razorback when a librarian and 10 tact marines fall from the sky and waste 1/2 a unit or a giant robot ripping up armour and for expanding your army, I honestly wouldn't pick up the Predator... Dreads have proven their worth to me over and over and over! if they do absolutely nothing, they will still absorb firepower and/or tar-pit a unit for the game. (even with no arms, a dread can go into a fight kicking and be VERY hard to kill in CC for infantry)
    I find a lot of SM heavy support options just don't have the staying power unless you have lots of it! Just give them targets to shoot at and then strike them down with that which remains!

My advice, take this list, and when you add to it, add what you think would KILL the first 1/2 of your list... so that when you see it on the other side of the table, you have what it takes to kill it with ease! (like I field tact marines and stuff that pummels tact marines, then I field tanks, and stuff that smokes tanks! etc etc)

Good luck!

PS if you're looking to expand on the cheap, grab a Blackreach set, you get 1 Commander, 10 Tact Marines, 5 Terminators, 1 Dreadnought (which is about $160 if bought sep) and a ton of Orks you can give to a friend or sell on e-bay. The box is worth while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanx a lot for your insight. i've been thinking about it for some time and here are some results.

(i already have some models from ebay - like 30 or so tactical marines and that commander with storm bolter, but now i'm gonna definitely get bolt pistol for him, even if i should cripple my unused standard bearer, or someone else.)

so for 500 i dropped that storm bolter and melta bombs, since sgt or power fist or lascannon fella should be able to deal with it. that gave me sadly only 10 points and i really have no idea where to get another 5. probably only by changing razorback for rhino, but i dont want to do that, for it still could transport only 5 marines and i'd be without second HB, so probably invest those 10 points in extra storm bolter for razorback? otherwise i dont have any idea.

for 750:
    i came up with two lists:

HQ and 1st tactical squad with razorback would stay the same.

2nd tactical squad would be filled and added flamer and multi-melta guys, also sgt. would get power sword and all would be transported in a rhino

dreadnaught would get a lascannon and heavy flamer, for either AT purposes or for obliterating possible infantry. oh and extra armour extra armour
    but then i'll still have 10 points left. so far i have no idea where to put those.

the alternative 750 list looks like this:
    HQ
    captain + power sword

TROOPS
    1. tactical squad +5 fellas, lascannon, flamer
    sergeant + power fist
    razorback

2. tactical squad
    sergeant power fist
    razorback

ELITES
    dreadnaught + lascannon, heavy flamer

FAST ATTACK
    1. attack bike + multi-melta
    2. attack bike

this is exactly 750.
    here i didnt expand 2nd squad, only upgraded sgt. with power fist (mostly because i wasn't sure where to put spare points) and stayed with 2nd razorback for anti-infantry fire support
    for spare points i'd get two attack bikes - each as single squad. one for obvious anti-infantry and the other one for possible tank hunting, or something like that. they'd also give me some mobility in case of razorbacks being smoked and to allow me to be more spread

and in both cases i'd have that minidevastator with lascannon staying near base with adequate vantage point

that's about it. thanx fo possible criticism and suggestions.
    oh, and thanx for welcome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xxx deletedxxx (little bit of panic here)
    Last edited by TUR-BO; December 17th, 2009 at 22:50. Reason: redundancy (sorry)

+ Reply to Thread