The Vostroyan XIX Armoured: 1k-1.5k, - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Vostroyan XIX Armoured: 1k-1.5k,

Hello everyone ^^,

i've been struggling for a while now to come together with a set of lists I can work from with my army (as you can see in my previous topic), but I think thta i've come to a breakthrough. What i'm looking for in my army is this: As often as I can, not a single unit exactly as the other while still maintaining efficiency and fluff (background being a highly pious Vostroyan Armoured division). So, after a lot of tweaking, thinking and seeking of inspiration, i've come up with the following lists:

1.000 Points: The Crusade Begins

HQ 145
    Company Command 145
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Troops 325
    Veteran Squad 170
    3 Plasmaguns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Veteran Squad 155
    3 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Fast Attack 145
    Hellhound 145
    Hull Multi-melta

Heavy Support 390
    Leman Russ Demolisher 165
    Hull Heavy flamer

Leman Russ Battle Tank 150
    Hull Heavy bolter

Hydra Flak Tank 75
    Hull Heavy flamer

Vehicles: 7

Models: 35

Now, to make it include as much armour as possible I started it off with 2 Vet squads, one with Plasma to have the option to sit on an objective and one with Melta guns to pop vehicles together with the CCS and the Hellhound. I feel like the army can handle most things, really. We have:
    5 Heavy Flamers, 2 Pie-plates and a Inferno Cannon for hordes and infantry.
    Plasmas, Melta guns, Demolisher, Hydra, Multi-lasers and Battle Tank for MC's and TEQ/MEQ's.
    Melta guns, Demolisher, Hellhound and Battle Tank for High-AV.
    Multi-lasers and Hydra for Low-AV.

Only problem is the low amount of bodies to hold objectives and that i'm 5pts over (which will be ok in my local area). But, the low body count is normal for Mech.

1.250 Points: A Beacon of Hope

HQ 145
    Company Command 145
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Troops 570
    Infantry Platoon: 245
    Platoon Command 125
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Veteran Squad 170
    3 Plasmaguns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Veteran Squad 155
    3 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Fast Attack 145
    Hellhound 145
    Hull Multi-melta

Heavy Support 390
    Hull Heavy flamer

Hull Heavy bolter

Hydra Flak Tank 75
    Hull Heavy flamer

Vehicles: 8

Models: 50

I've expanded the list by throwing in an Infantry Platoon, giving me one more anti-tank unit and some models for back-up Low-AV and objective holding. The background for this being that the division has encountered some survivors from a previous battle, (attempting to be) restoring their morale with the divine words of the Emperor and driving them onwards. Same things as before but more for anti-tank and Low-AV.

1.500 Points: The Emperors Armoured Fury

HQ 145
    Company Command 145
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Elites 65
    Guardsman Marbo 65

Troops 625
    Infantry Platoon: 300
    Platoon Command 125
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Infantry Squad 115
    Autocannon
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Veteran Squad 170
    3 Plasmaguns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Veteran Squad 155
    3 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Fast Attack 275
    Hellhound 145
    Hull Multi-melta

Vendetta Gunship 130

Heavy Support 390
    Hull Heavy flamer

Hull Heavy bolter

Hydra Flak Tank 75
    Hull Heavy flamer

Vehicles: 10

Models: 51

Here i've encountered a difficulty. The things I really WANT to include are Marbo and the Vendetta, and that leaves me with 55pts left over. By giving the Chimera to the Infantry Squad, I can remove ALL footsloggers from the list and get it to properly fit as an Armoured Division. I find that the Objective Capturing Vendetta could be usefull in late game, while the Pillbox-Infantry Squad will park on an objective pouring out all the fire they can muster (I'm also considering the option of giving them a HB instead of a HF, would this be a wise move?). But, as said I'm not to sure on the Chimera. But seeing as my options are scarce (Maybe a unit of 5 Rough Riders?) it seemed as a wise choice.

Anyways, i've put theese up so I could perhaps recieve some of your expert advice ^^
    I'd also like to thank kgoreham for inspiring me to do something like this, your blog is quite a piece of work ^^

Cheers ^^

Last edited by Hussar; December 20th, 2009 at 09:49.
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noone? ^^'

Cheers ^^

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

I'll deal with the 1500 point list.

HQ: Ok. I would be tempted to put the plasmas here and keep the hull HB so they can remain at medium range providing fire support.

Elites: Super

Troops: Vets are good. Platoon command would do well with 4 flamers as they are only BS3. Squad in the vendetta should take a flamer or a GL and thats it. an autocannon cannot fire as you disembark. Squad in chimera could add a GL or plasma gun for ranged firepower.

Fast: I like the dual role hellhound. Vendettas are always good.

Heavy: I don't rate hull heavy flamers (except on chimeras). There is no need to get that close with those tanks. When the enemy get within 15" they should begin moving backwards and firing. A hull HB will probably get of 15 shots in a game but a hull HF rarely fires more than once a game and the tank is vulnerable to krack grenades if you do.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

I'll do the 1000 point one then.

No criticisms whatsoever. lol
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I have no major criticism of the list. My only suggestion would be to equip the squad in the vendettas to some kind of assault weapon. Personally I go for meltas. Overall the list looks very solid. Let us know how you do with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your responses!

I'll try to explain my thoughts behind the units you've mentioned (lazy as I was, I didn't before... ^^')

The CCS were given Meltas instead of Plasmas, simply because, as they are medium ranged weapons, could eb very nicely held by a unit of Vets so they can sit on an objective and give ranged support. The CCS would not be able to hold this objective, and would therefore only contribute their firepower and no objective holding. I've been using the Plasmas on the CCS before, but felt that it had more uses on a Vet-squad. I miss out on the Bring It Down! order once in a while, but I can still pull it off if they keep moderatly close to eachother (IE within 18"-24").

The PCS were given the Meltas since I feel that I do need at least 3 Melta Squads. The word i've been thinking about is redundancy, but the normal aproach to this is taking multiples of the same units, which i've explained earlier that I find boring. Therefore I included several different units that fill the same purpose (IE Vets, CCS, PCS). I do realise that their low BS is a bit of a drawback, but if you look at it they actually have the exact same effect as a unit of Vets (IE same amount of hits), but with the possibility of getting a better result (4 instead of 3 shots).

The Autocannon tooting Infantry Squad in the Vendetta have an idea behind them. They are actually planned to stay outside of the Vendetta, sitting in cover and giving supporting fire until they need to re-locate. Then they will mount the Vendetta and zoom off.
    I do understand your idea of giving them an assault weapon of some sort, it would truly be more effective if they would be zooming around inside of the Vendetta all the time. But, as said, they will be sitting next to it untill the need to re-locate arrives. But maybe that's what you're thinking?
    That the unit would be more effective zooming around the field, instead of giving supporting fire together with the Vendetta and then re-locating as danger/opurtunity arise?

I've been thinking about the HF's on the Russes to. I gave the LRBT the HB for just the reason you explained. I find it to be a bit more usefull on the Demolisher on the other hand. Once the enemy does start getting close it will be able to co-operate with a chimera or two and lay down a true torrent of flaming death. I find it not to jsut be about the amount of shots you get off, but about WHEN you get thoose shots of to. At many times i'd have the deaths caused by the HB during the whole match exchanged for that one, true, killing shot. I have been considering maybe giving the LRBT a Lascannon in later stages though, to support tank-hunting.
    But, maybe on the Hydra...

But, as said, I do understand your standpoint, and I'll seek to try it out ^^

Cheers and thanks for all your oppinions so far ^^
    Last edited by Hussar; December 21st, 2009 at 22:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No more suggestions? ^^'
    I'm really thinking if that Chimera on the Infantry Squad is worth it, or if the points could be spent better elsewhere. I mean it gives me a nice "durable" unit to hold on to an objective, while still being able to lay down a torrent of gunfire. But could the points be better spent elsewhere?

But, if this is a good call, should I perhaps give the Chimera a HB instead of the HF, for more long ranged fire support? Or maybe the HF will be more wortwhile once the enemy starts getting closer?

Anyways,
    cheers for all your help ^^

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x5)

Well now, since you asked...

1K List:

Too many Russes for 1K. Trade the vanilla Russ for another Chimelta squad. I'd also trade the Hydra for Marbo (Marbosabich?) as he'll do very well at this points level.

1.25K List:

Looks OK. I'm not a fan of platoons at this points level, but I know it's your thing. This is about as good as a platoon is going to get. Hydras really need to come in pairs. So again, I'd go with Marbosabich. Still too many Russes.

1.5K List:

This list has the most problems.

A standard infantry squad in a Chimera is pretty useless. For the same points, you could take vets with flamers and demolitions to put in the Vendetta. As for the Vendetta, they should really come in pairs, as just one is the biggest "shoot me!" target you can put out there.

You really only need 2 Heavy Support choices up to 1500 pts. My own choice would be to lose the Russ and buy another Vendetta. Swap the last infantry squad for demo vets and you're golden.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chers for the help, been a bit busy here around Christmas, but here's a few upadets ^^
    The two will have to stay, simply because I started IG because of them ^^'
    I do understand a Chimelta might be more effective but, it's just not the samer as a true Lumbering Behemoth ^^
    But i've taken in some of your advice

We'll start off with the 1.5k one:

HQ 145
    Company Command 145
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Elites 65
    Marbozovich 65

Troops 570
    Platoon Command 125
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Veteran Squad 170
    3 Plasmaguns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Veteran Squad 155
    3 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Fast Attack 405
    Hellhound 145
    Hull Multi-melta

Vendetta Gunship 130

Vendetta Gunship 130

Heavy Support 315
    Hull Heavy flamer

Hull Heavy bolter

Vehicles: 9

Slightly less varied, but at the same time more interesting. From a modelling perspective i'll just have to make the Squads look different from eachother ^^

HQ 145
    Company Command 145
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Elites 65
    Marbozovich 65

Troops 570
    Platoon Command 125
    4 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Veteran Squad 170
    3 Plasmaguns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Veteran Squad 155
    3 Melta guns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy flamer

Fast Attack 145
    Hellhound 145
    Hull Multi-melta

Heavy Support 315
    Hull Heavy flamer

Hull Heavy bolter

Vehicles: 7

10pts to spend, but on what?
    Maybe a Dozer blade for the Demolisher or the Plasma Vets Chimera? ^^'

The change in the 1k one is the same, exchange Hydra for Marbozovich, which now leaves me 5pts under (). What to get for thoose final 5 points? ^^

Cheers everyone, and happy holidays! ^^

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

For the 1500 point one I'ce perhaps give your PCS flamers, or grenade launchers. Meltaguns are quite pricy, and with BS3 you won't hit much. You'll need to keep them near to the CCS to get the most out of them. Flamers or G-launchers would help with your lack of anti-horde. And to be honest, with CCS with meltas, a chimelta squad and two vendettas, you've got loads of anti-tank/power armour as it id. Making these changes would also give you some more points to add special weapons to your infantry squads.

I know you want the meltas, and you've got the big black cloud of redundancy in mind, but doing this would add a bit more variation to the list, and be tactically viable.

Of course, you could just choose to ignore me entirely
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast