1000pt ogryn/straken combo - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000pt ogryn/straken combo

HQ-220pts

-CCS
    -Col Straken
    -1 bodyguard
    -1 Grenade Launcher
    -Chimera Transport

Elite-130pts

-Ogryn Squad
    *also mounted in Straken's trasnport

Troops-255pts

-PCS
    *Autocannon
    -Infantry Sq A
    *Autocannon
    -Infantry Sq B
    *Autocannon
    -Infantry Sq C
    *Autocannon

-Vet Sq A
    *3x's Meltas
    *Mounted in Valkyrie

Fast Attack 1
    -Valkyrie Gunship (vet sq A transport)
    Fast Attack 2
    -Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support
    -LRBT Demolisher

Exactly 1000pts. I am aware that not alot of people favor Ogryns, but for fluff and Straken's bonuses, I am thinking they could give out some fits. Any comments?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by bigitalynjc View Post
    HQ-220pts

-CCS
    -Col Straken
    -1 bodyguard
    -1 Grenade Launcher
    -Chimera Transport

Elite-130pts

-Ogryn Squad
    *also mounted in Straken's trasnport

Only 1 squad per transport and Straken cannot join the Ogryn squad as long as his command squad is alive. If you wanted the Ogryns to meatshield for an HQ I'd have to go with Yarrick. Current consensus on Ogryn squads is that they aren't worth their points. They cost about as much as terminators for a lot less oomph. Additionally Ogryns need a commissar minder to be effective.

Troops-255pts

-PCS
    *Autocannon
    -Infantry Sq A
    *Autocannon
    -Infantry Sq B
    *Autocannon
    -Infantry Sq C
    *Autocannon

-Vet Sq A
    *3x's Meltas
    *Mounted in Valkyrie

Fast Attack 1
    -Valkyrie Gunship (vet sq A transport)
    Fast Attack 2
    -Vendetta Gunship

Heavy Support
    -LRBT Demolisher

Exactly 1000pts. I am aware that not alot of people favor Ogryns, but for fluff and Straken's bonuses, I am thinking they could give out some fits. Any comments?
    Aside from the Ogryns the list is pretty solid. I'm not really clear on what you are trying to accomplish with them. There aren't enough of them to be an effective solo assault unit (they are likely to get shot to hell before they engaged in CC) and I don't see any kind of screening fodder to keep fire off of them while they cover the table.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he was simply thinking that he could stick two units in the same transport, seeing as it had room. Just take a look in the rulebook and you'll see that there is only one unit allowed per transport, even if there's room for more.

Now, your lsit has it's points wrong to, you're actually up at 1060pts, that's a HUGE step over 1k.

Also, why even bother with Straken? You already have Furious Charge on the Ogryns. If you want the Ogryns in your list you should invest in a larger unit, and also in a chimera for them. But, actually, the chimera might be a bad move. Once you disembark, you wont be allowed to assault anyways. So maybe drop Strakens command squad and a Infantry Squad (Freeing you 220pts (we're aiming for a 1k list now)) and then get a Lord Comissar with PF for the Ogryns (135pts left), throwing in a unit of Conscripts (55pts left), adding another Ogryn (15pts left) and giving your PCS 3 Flamers/Grenade Launchers. This would give you a large Ld10 meat shield for your Ogryns, some anti-tank support in the Ogryn unit (+Ld10 and Stubborn) and also giving you either some close up flaming or long range support with Grenade Launchers (I'd actually vote for the GL's, seeing as they'll also give you somethign to take down light-transports with).

There, that's my suggestions to you. Altough things I would like to see you consider is giving the Valkyrie a pair of Rocket Pods. Such a waste of a good platform, otherwise... I'd almost actually consider dropping the Valkyrie for a Chimera for the Vets and another Ogryn.

Your list would look as follows:

HQ 85
    Lord Commissar 85
    Power Fist

Elites 210
    Ogryn Squad 210
    +2 Ogryn

Troops 405
    Infantry Platoon: 170
    Platoon Command 50
    3 Grenade Launchers

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Infantry Squad 60
    Autocannon

Conscript Squad

Veteran Squad 155
    3 Meltaguns
    Chimera with Multi-laser
    and hull Heavy Flamer

Fast Attack 130
    Vendetta 130

Heavy Support 165
    Leman Russ Demolisher 165
    Hull Heavy Flamer

Total: 995

The downside I see with this list is the fact that the enemy won't have a hard time picking their targets among your mech. I'd actually even consider dropping the Infantry Platoon for another Chimelta. But, that's such a huge turn from your original list, so I won't even truly suggest that ^^

Hope I atleast helped a little ^^
    Cheers ^^
    Last edited by Hussar; December 26th, 2009 at 10:53.
    http://refraintofsanity.blogspot.com/
    -"Oh God, this is going to take a while..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you to everyone that replied. It has made me see the light with Ogryns. I may buy one to model, but I think they dont have much of a place in any of my lists. Too many points, too much money. Been thinking of branching out to use this basic framework for a 1000pt list that would include some unique units like ratlings, and a psyker battle squad. Here's a list of the units I have available: 3 command squads, 1 Lord Commisor (boltgun/power sword), Colonel Straken, Marbo, Gunny Sgt Harker, 1 Ratling Squad (5total), 6 Infantry Squads, 4 Meltas, 2 Grenade Launchers, 2 Flamers, 1 Plasma (plenty of bits to make whatever special weapons), 7 Heavy Weapons Teams (4 autocannons, 1 Missile Launcher, 1 Lascannon and 1 unmade team), 2 scout sentinels (autocannon, hunter killer missile), 1 rough rider squad, 1 valkyrie (unkitted), 1 vendetta, 1 LRBT (heavy bolter only), 1Basilisk, 1 LR Demolisher, 1 Chimera. I plan to convert a squad of Empire flagellants to psykers this week (Dark Angel bits work well for this)

+ Reply to Thread