No Frills Mech 1000-1500 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x2)

No Frills Mech 1000-1500

I'm sure some of you are thinking, "Welcome to fifth edition gunner." I know, I'm thinking it too. Here it goes.

1000 pts

CCS, 2 meltas, Chimera w ML and HF
    Veterans, 3 meltas, Chimera w ML and HF

Leman Demo, HF
    Leman Demo, HF

2 Scout Sentinels w ACs

1500pts
    CCS, 2 meltas, Astropath, Officer of the fleet, Chimera w ML and HF

Leman Demo, LC
    Leman Demo, HF
    Leman Demo, HF

3 Scout Sentinels w ACs
    Marbo

What makes me uneasy about these lists is the lack of ranged fire power. What I like very much about these lists is 1, I have all of the models to deploy the 1k list and 2, all of these units are recognized as effective 5th edition units despite the general lack of long range high strength weapons. Real life permitting maybe I can get the 1k list complete and have some pictures up in a month or two.

I know I don't have any vendettas, mainly because I own no vendettas. I know vendettas are effective. Whether or not I buy one or two in the future remains to be seen.

I know 2 meltas in the CCS isn't as good as 4. The CCS squad is the first unit that suffers when I go to make points since it is the easiest squad to adjust without nerfing it's effectiveness completely.

Cheers

Last edited by YounGunner; January 17th, 2010 at 20:43. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Welcome to the tank heavy 5th Edition then To be fair mate those lists look pretty horrid and ship shape too me. I wouldn't worry too much about long range firepower. My mech list isn't as nasty as yours and it does fine.

You could, if you fancied, swap out a Demolisher for 2 hydras. It will give you some serious long range dakka (8 str7 twinlinked shots with a 72 inch range) which is never something to ignore.

You could probably do with having a vet squad tooled up to hang back incase you get into one of those "capture the flag" style missions. 3 Melta Vets and a Melta CCS should be more than enough advancing Melta.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Thanks for the reply Borak,
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    You could, if you fancied, swap out a Demolisher for 2 hydras. It will give you some serious long range dakka (8 str7 twinlinked shots with a 72 inch range) which is never something to ignore.
    That might be a smart move. You can't have to many autocannons now a days. The thing is, I have 3 forge world demo turrets that look pretty freakin sweet and not a single hydra so for purely $ reasons I might not go that route. I might go with as many as 9 scout sentinels with Autocannons (and a couple HK missiles, *wink@ kgoreham) once I get the force up to 1850 pts. I'm hoping I can still get them cheap as I imagine a lot of players are dumping their sentinels for Valkyries.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    You could probably do with having a vet squad tooled up to hang back incase you get into one of those "capture the flag" style missions. 3 Melta Vets and a Melta CCS should be more than enough advancing Melta..
    This is an issue I was thinking about. With the forward momentum that this list needs (It's hardly made to sit still) I was thinking of placing my objectives toward the center of the map where I'm headed anyway and not in my deployment zone where most people place their objectives. I'm going to lose a transport or two and then footslogging vets are the perfect candidates to pick up that objective while the rest of the force pushes forward.

I was actually thinking about running a squad of 5 ogryns in reserve at 2k points as a counter assault unit. The main reason being aesthetic, I found a sweet way to mod them, but aesthetic means little if it isn't effective... at least to me. At 2k points I'll have a solid block of troops, I could bring more but that's almost to redundant, maxed out fast attack and maxed out heavy support. Every army is using reserves now and SOMETHING will flank or deep strike and try to contest or claim an objective and then Ogryns could walk onto the table and cave their skulls in. (I'll post pictures once they're painted) Thanks again for the reply.
    *edit*I'm glad you like the list.
    *edit*If not I could go with two squads of stormies with meltas for the same price but again, they're expensive enough points wise that their value comes into question. I'll probable finish the Ogre squad regardless because I think they look cool, maybe they'll get out in 6th edition.
    Last edited by YounGunner; January 18th, 2010 at 18:17. Reason: in addition

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by YounGunner View Post
    The thing is, I have 3 forge world demo turrets that look pretty freakin sweet and not a single hydra so for purely $ reasons I might not go that route. I might go with as many as 9 scout sentinels with Autocannons.
    Now I understand that. I've got a Forge world Exterminator with the Mars hull and that is such a nice model. With Pask it fills my Autocannon gap nicely. 9 Sentinels sounds pretty cool to me. I'm a lover of Sentinels and i've got 13 Built and painted with more on sprues lurking around. Have you thought about Armoured Sents? They're pretty handy at holding things up in combat like Plague Marines.

This is an issue I was thinking about. With the forward momentum that this list needs (It's hardly made to sit still) I was thinking of placing my objectives toward the center of the map where I'm headed anyway and not in my deployment zone where most people place their objectives. I'm going to lose a transport or two and then footslogging vets are the perfect candidates to pick up that objective while the rest of the force pushes forward.
    True but it doesn't have to be much of a change to your list. A squad with a few Plasmas and an Autocannon can hang back if you need too or it can burn forward and unleash Plasma Hell on Monstrous creatures (thinking new nids here) If you've got 10pts lying around an Autocannon isn't expensive and wont destroy your plans if you don't use it. Up to you, aggressive Objective deployment does sound like a good way forward. I might try that one myself.

I was actually thinking about running a squad of 5 ogryns in reserve at 2k points as a counter assault unit. The main reason being aesthetic, I found a sweet way to mod them, but aesthetic means little if it isn't effective... at least to me. At 2k points I'll have a solid block of troops, I could bring more but that's almost to redundant, maxed out fast attack and maxed out heavy support. Every army is using reserves now and SOMETHING will flank or deep strike and try to contest or claim an objective and then Ogryns could walk onto the table and cave their skulls in. (I'll post pictures once they're painted) Thanks again for the reply.
    *edit*I'm glad you like the list.
    Despite what most people say i still like Ogryns. If they get a round of shooting and then the charge on a unit of terminators I recon they can have them in a square fight. In competetive play though they're not the best use of points so it's up to you if you take them or not. If you're after a counter attack unit why not Rough Riders? 10 Riders can take pretty much anything on the charge, even a small unit of 5 can ruin a space Marine units day. Riders are cheaper pointswise and you can model them as bikers to fit in as outriders for your mech force. It's an idea anyway

Thanks for the reply Borak,
    Never a chore mate. No worries.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

I think it's a solid list, but I think 3 demolishers at 1500 is too many. You might consider swapping one out for a vendetta or a hellhound with a multimelta, and grab another couple of special weapons for the CCS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeevil View Post
    I think it's a solid list, but I think 3 demolishers at 1500 is too many. You might consider swapping one out for a vendetta or a hellhound with a multimelta, and grab another couple of special weapons for the CCS.
    You might have a point Weevil. Thanks for the reply. I'm not convinced 3 is to many for 1500 but it could be. The original 1500 pt list is not far from reality with the models I have on hand. I might try to forgo using Vendettas, even though I think they look alright and are huge for their points cost. I haven't decided on that yet. I've just got kind of a soft spot for the sentinel models. Maybe a more balanced 1500 might look like,

Company Command, Melta x 4, Astropath, Officer of the fleet, Chimera 205 (add those meltas)

Vet Squad, Melta x 3, Chimera 155 620
    Vet Squad, Melta x 3, Chimera 155

LRDemo, HF 330 (lose a russ)
    LRDemo, HF

3 Scout Sentinels, 3 Autocannon, 2 HK Missiles 150 300 (add another squad of metal cavalry + a couple rare earth
    3 Scout Sentinels, 3 Autocannon, 2 HK Missiles 150 more dakka missiles, can't have to many autocannons these days)
    Marbo 65

Vendetta I'm pretty convinced are marginally more effective that the scout sentinels. (it is nice being able to assault though) Maybe I'll get a Vendetta later, maybe I won't. They both sort of do the same job. The hellhound variants look great but there is a serious premium on that front armor 14 and I've already got plenty of treads clogging up my avenues of approach (I WILL have 3 demos at 1850 ) so the only fast attack choices I'm really considering are scout sentinels and vendetta since I can flank with them.
    Last edited by YounGunner; January 19th, 2010 at 07:42. Reason: CYCLOPS ARRGH!!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Vendettas and Scout Sentinels are the top two in terms of tactically flexible units that IG possess. The Vendetta would also give you a shot at picking up a vet squad from a popped Chimera and rapidly redeploying it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x7)

This might be 5th ed heresy, but I like to take one Plasma Squad for every Melta Vet squad. I find I like the extra AP2 shots for troops for Marine troops and big bugs, you have still will have plenty O' Melta doom.

I also am a fan of Lemans with Lascannons. I know the Heavy Flamer is good if you lose the battle cannon, but I like to make my units multipurpose. I don't know how many times I have had to shoot a Leman at a tank, and that extra Lascannon shot has made all the difference in kracking it.

Marbo is fun and great for Objective games. I won't take him to a big tourney again as he is an easy kill point, I would rather take PASK on an Exterminator.

You won't go wrong by getting a Vendetta or three. They are fun to use and I love a unit that everyone else hates!

Welcome to 5th!

Cheers, DH
    Last edited by Diggums Hammer; January 22nd, 2010 at 02:30.
    "A love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril."
    Sir Winston Churchil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    This might be 5th ed heresy, but I like to take one Plasma Squad for every Melta Vet squad.
    I don't know if I'll quite go 1 for 1 but I will put that idea to use. It is good to diversify. I do have plasma models on hand and can make that happen. BS 4 does help. Thanks for the reply Diggums.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

71 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Diggums Hammer View Post
    This might be 5th ed heresy, but I like to take one Plasma Squad for every Melta Vet squad. I find I like the extra AP2 shots for troops for Marine troops and big bugs, you have still will have plenty O' Melta doom.
    That might really work out with my Command squad. I don't know if it's worth having a medic... If I'm feeling really froggy I could dismount and use "Bring it down" on monsterous creatures in order to re-roll potentially fratricidal plasma shots.

+ Reply to Thread