750pts White Scars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

750pts White Scars

Hey, this is my first post here, though i have lurked for a while.
    This is my first marine list, i've been playing Witch hunters for a while now and vowed never to collect SPESS MEHREENS, sumply because everyone else does. But flipping through the codex the white scars appealed to me because of the mobility of the army.
    Any way i'm looking at building a small army to a list that will look something like this. If i enjoy it, ill get some more.

Kor'Sarro Khan 205pts
    - Moondrakkan

Fast Attack
    Scout Bike Squad (3 scouts, 1 sarge) 135pts
    - Cluster Mines
    - 3 Astartes' Grenade Launcher

Land Speeder 60pts
    - Heavy Bolter

Troops
    Bike Squad (4 marines, 1 sarge) 180pts
    - 2 Meltaguns
    - Sergeant
    - Power Weapon
    - Melta Bombs

Bike Squad (4 marines, 1 sarge) 165
    - 2 Flamers
    - Sergeant
    - Power Weapon

Total 745
    Probably crap and C&C are mandatory.

Was thinking about keeping one of the bike squads in reserves and then outflanking to nick an objective or something like that.

Last edited by Arbite; January 25th, 2010 at 10:57.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Welcome, Arbite! Good to have you here.
    Everybody may be playing Space Marines, but few people play Space Marine bikes, though it appears that even this trend is spreading as people recognize the army's effectiveness. Let's go into the details, here...

I don't like Kor'Sarro very much, especially in small points games. Why not take a standard captain on bike instead? Saves a lot of points and is equally effective. Captain, bike, relic blade. All he needs, really! Then he can instant kill swarms as well as Eldar or IG characters, etc, wounds MEQ on 2+, has a good chance of wounding monstrous creatures, can easily pop vehicles, etc...

Scout bikes, unfortunately, just suck. They can assault on turn one, but they aren't very good and effective assaulters and would be on their own without any support. Since they are more fragile even than normal bikes, this is their certain deatch. Cluster mines are not good enough a toy to make up for the shortcomings of scout bikers, so throw them overboard...

Landspeeders are perfect. You need them for fire support. Your double-heavy bolters tornado landspeeder is cheap and good, but you don't have anything in your list that can crack vehicles from afar. Make it a typhoon, who can crack rhinos before they even start moving, or kill off hydras or basilisks that threaten to take down your bikers, etc etc...
    You may want to check out my landspeeder tactica (Tactica: Landspeeders).

To enhance the effectiveness of your bike squads let me tell you this: the first thing you should add to a stock bike squad is an attack bike! It is a model, thus counts towards the minimum model count you need to make your squad a troops choice. But it is much more powerful than a bike, in fact more powerful than two bikes! It is perfectly comparable to two bikes except for the drawback of possibly suffering instant death (which can easily be avoided by proper wound allocation) and losing one attack on the charge (which is really no big deal), while you save points (cheaper than two bikes), can lose one wound without reducing your squad's effectiveness (as long as you are hit by non-instant death inflicting weapons always allocate the first wound to your attack bike if it still has two - because losing one is "free", so to speak), and you get the gun upgrade (from a twin-linked bolter to a heavy bolter) which is just awesome. The greater range is awesome, the higher strength is awesome, the higher number of shots is awesome. Attack bikes are what makes bike squads effective (apart from the special weapons), so take them before taking anything else! Because they are part of the squad they can't be picked out and killed by the enemy like attack bikes in attack bike squads. It's like a hidden power fist on a sergeant compared to a power fist on an IC...
    In your melta squad, drop the melta bombs. Add a multi-melta on the attack bike instead. It will double your effective range, and you can even pop rhinos or monstrous creatures and whatnot from 24" without the melta special rule. This squad doesn't need the power weapon then either. Bikes kind of suck at close combat (they can hold their own, but they are few), so it's better to stay mobile instead and use combat tactics to drop out of an assault. Bikes fall back far enough to be able to regroup. Your flamer squad can (but needn't, especially if you join the captain here) keep the power weapon because it will more likely see close combat, judging by the flamer templates' range. The captain can either support this squad, or the melta squad (so that that one has a power weapon / relic blade too), or even go hunting on his own at this points limit.

You will probably lack the points to make a third bike squad. I would instead recommend a second typhoon. On is a target, two are a threat, that's how the saying goes. You can definitely wreck mech armies in 750 points with two typhoon shooting their transports across the entire battlefield. The other option would be multi-melta attack bike (as fast attack), but I don't think you need more anti-tank than 2 melta guns, 1 multi-melta, 4 krak missiles in 750 points...
    If you need points filler you can always boost your bike squads to six models instead of five. Never hurts. I wouldn't take more in one squad, though, more is a waste...

I would go something like this...

Captain w/ bike, relic blade, artificer armor
    Bike Squad w/ 4 bikes, 2 melta guns, attack bike, multi-melta
    Bike Squad w/ 5 bikes, 2 flamers, power sword, attack bike
    Landspeeder w/ typhoon launchers
    Landspeeder w/ typhoon launchers

The artificer armor is a points filler, useful for soaking wounds. Always allocate (anything that doesn't inflict instant death) on the captain first, so that his 2+ armor save can soak up as many wounds as possible. In case he rolls a 1 he's down to two wounds of his three. Not so scary.

Now keep in mind that Space Marine bikers require a different playstyle than other Space Marine armies. Don't rush in and start your killing spree, or your force will fall apart quicker than you imagine. Bikes are not a mere delivery system to get Space Marines to their destination. They are an entirely different unit that requires a different treatment. Divide et impera! Play careful, defensively. Reserving everything is almost always a good idea with this kind of army. It wins games last-minute, not throughout the first few turns - you should spend those more passively, trying to avoid being killed while picking off isolated targets...
    Join the Realm of Speed if you like! And feel free to hit me up if you have any other questions...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, long post and thanks heaps for it. I chose Khan because gives my entire army the ability to outflank which is very usefull mid to late game as well.
    Looking now, the attack bikes seem like a better choice over the scout bikes. I had seen the rapid fire grenade launchers and was like AWESOME.
    EDIT: I was thinking of modelling my captain/khan jumping from his bike and wanted anyones ideas on how to do it.
    Last edited by Arbite; January 26th, 2010 at 05:11.

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Arbite View Post
    Wow, long post and thanks heaps for it. I chose Khan because gives my entire army the ability to outflank which is very usefull mid to late game as well.
    I expected as much. But since I work with statistics professionally I can tell you that outflanking two bike squads (or even only one of them) is nothing reliable. And on top of I can tell you as a long time bike army player that it is nowhere near as effective as you might deem it to be. Your fast army relies on splitting the enemy force and concentrating your entire force on an isolated part of the enemy's. With outflanking you won't be able to direct your bike squads very well and may get split up yourself, which could prove to be your army's demise. Reserve them normall and you can reach the entire half of the board in one turn. You won't get split up by rolling for a table-edge, etc...
    Outflanking bikes, especially in small armies, is not the best idea.

Looking now, the attack bikes seem like a better choice over the scout bikes. I had seen the rapid fire grenade launchers and was like AWESOME.
    I am totally with you on that one. They seem awesome! It's a shame they nerfed that unit because ideawise it's so cool. Same for the landspeeder storm, by the way. A fast skimmer transport for scouts? Awesome. But using up a fast attack slot on its own, transporting only five models? Darn...

EDIT: I was thinking of modelling my captain/khan jumping from his bike and wanted anyones ideas on how to do it.
    That is a very cool idea. Stick with it, mate. And good luck!
    Unfortunately I am not a good modeler, so I can't help you here. I hope others will jump in for some advice on that, if not: try the modeling subforum.

+ Reply to Thread