Doubles tourney, 1500 each, Eldar and Space Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Doubles tourney, 1500 each, Eldar and Space Wolves

My step-son and I are playing as partners in a doubles-tournament. We each get 1500 points. He is playing Eldar and I will be playing Space Wolves. He is bringing the following:
    1 Farseer with Guide, Doom, and Mindwar
    The Avatar
    1 Wraith Lord (unsure of loadout)
    3 War walkers (unsure of loadout)

3 Wave Serpents with Twin linked Shuriken Cannons and one other Twin-linked gun.

One Serpent has 6 Banshees
    Two Serpents each have 10 Dire Avengers who plan to Blade Storm.
    6 Pathfinders.

Our general plan is for him to zip forward and harass units and draw fire with his Avatar. The War Walkers and Wraith Lord can concentrate on enemy transports and the pathfinders can snipe at heavy infantry, or units we want to pin. My Space Wolves will hold home objectives and harass as needed. Hopefully the wave serpents can make a last turn move to contest enemy objectives while I hold our home objectives.

Here is what I am planning to take.

2 Rune Priests. One with plasma pistol one without. Living Lightning and Jaws on one and Living Lightning and Tempest on the other.

10 Grey Hunters with 2 plasma guns and 1 power weapon.

9 GH, 1 melta gun, 1 power weapon, 1 SW Banner. Rhino. 1 Wolf Guard with Power fist.

9 GH, 1 melta gun, 1 power weapon. Rhino. 1 Wolf Guard with Power fist.

6 SW Scouts with melta bombs, melta gun, 2 power weapons and 1 Mark of the Wolfen. 1 Wolf Guard with Power fist.

4 longfangs with 2 missile launchers and 2 multi-meltas. 1 Squad leader.

That is about 1250 points. I have other heavy weapons to choose from. They are 1 plasma cannon, and 2 lascannons.

I am thinking of adding either:
    15 Blood claws, 2 flamers, one power weapon to just run across the table, or intercept units that come at me.

Adding a tooled up infiltrating Wolf Guard Battle Leader with the Scouts and a Lone wolf.

Any thoughts or suggestions on my Wolf List? The Eldar list is pretty set unless my son gets money to buy some Fire Dragons. I have lots of terminators, Canis, Njal, Ragnar, and Ulric I could add. I also have a vindicator, land raider crusader/redeemer and several dreadnoughts and drop pod I could use.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I would keep the wolf guard on the sidelines and throw in that second melta gun.Secondly, your Rune Priests seem to be foot slogging? They are basically just 2 wound marines without an invulnerable save. They need a transport or a squad to hind behind or preferably both. Your Long Fangs have an interesting kit. Multi melta's are fantastic... But only when the enemy is within 12 inches. This behing said you may want to drop them for something cheaper and with longer range.

I believe you said your strategy was for your step son to rush forward and you will stay back and hold objectives? I would reverse this strategy... Not only because he is playing a shooting army, but that Space Wolves are much more durable than Eldar. You rush forward while he supports you with Bladestorms and Psychic powers. Now, I would add a squad of blood claws, but put them in a rhino and give them a power weapon. This way you can put one of your Rune priests in there and he can fire his psychic goodness out of the top hatch.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Interesting ideas! THank you! I included the multi-meltas because I have the models. As I said, I could replace them with lascannons.

I see that I neglected to save room in the rhinos for the rune priests! I will drop a GH from each melta squad to accomplish that, or maybe from just one and then go the BC in a rhino route. I don't want to have to repaint a current rhino (I've got Ultramarines, Blood Angels, and Dark Angels rhinos already!) or buy more, though... I probably will repaint one though...

A problem with shooting from the rhino hatch, is if the rhino goes 12" he can't shoot. I normally rush forward as fast as possible. I want to get those BC into the assault as fast as I can...

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

That is true, but I believe your ruin priest can still cast Tempest if he moves...

Also I wouldn't take out a Grey Hunter, as this will drop your melta's down to 1 per squad. You were thinking of throwing in Lascannons in your Long Fangs? I would hold off, Lascannons are expensive and worthless in 5th ed... My math hammer skills tell me it will take roughly 28 shots to statistically wreck a vehicle with armor value 14.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

I already replied once, but it simply disappeared....here goes again:

My melta squads are already under 10 because I want a wolf guard with them.

The issue with shooting from the rhino is this: If the vehicle moves over 6" it can not shoot and the passengers inside must abide by the same restriction. With Blood Claws I want them in close combat as soon as possible, so I move it forward 12" every turn. Doing that, the rhino can not shoot, nor can my Rune Priest, nor any passengers inside.

I use melta for armor 14, not lascannons.

+ Reply to Thread