Help with Space Wolves list - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with Space Wolves list

Hey,

Im new to Space Marines as a player, and I have no iea where to focus my building on. Anyways, I have quickly writen out a 2k list using various units to kit out and see what you think. Please criticise and scrutinise everything as you see fit, as Im new, I only want to learn whats good, and what is bad. Cheers

HQ

Njal Stormcaller
    - Runic Terminator Armour

Canis Wolfborn

ELITES

Wolf Guard x 5
    - Terminator Armour
    - Assault Cannon x 1
    - Twin Wolf Claws x 1
    - Chainfist x 1

Dreadnought
    - Plasma Cannon

Wolf Scouts x 5
    - Sniper Rifle x 2
    - Plasma Gun

TROOPS

Blood Claws x 10
    - Lukas the Trickster
    - Meltagun
    - Power Weapon

Grey Hunters x 5
    - Meltagun
    - Power Weapon

Fenrisian Wolves x 5
    - Cyberwolf

FAST ATTACK

Skyclaw Assault Pack x 5
    - Plasma Pistol
    - Power Weapon

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator

Land Raider Crusader

Long Fangs x 5
    - Squad Leader Plasma Pistol
    - Heavy Bolter x 2
    - Multi-Melta
    - Lascannon

ADDITIONAL

Drop Pod (for Dreadnought)

Total Points used - 1999

Please let me know if this is a poor list, and help me make it a serious tough fghting force, to play with. Im willing to cut and change everything, at the moment.

Orc Army 40k. Wins 5 -2 Losses. Loss vs Chaos Marines.
    Currently Collecting Dwarves WFB. Time to get my Beard on!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wolf Scouts with sniper rifles?! Their ability to outflank on the opponents board edge makes them so much better at killing small units or tanks with melta bombs.

Why don't you equip the dreadnought with a multi-melta and then use it as a first turn tank buster?

Try less blood claws and special characters. I know its tempting to use a bunch of special characters, but you put yourself at a real disadvantage number wise. More than usual.

Also if your going to use Fenrisian wolves use them in one big unit. Less easy kill points. Plus they cant hold objectives even with Canis Wolfborn's special rule.

Grey hunters are one of the best troop choices in the game. Why not try using a bit more?

Just some suggestions. Hope your Sons of Russ are pounding the enemies of the Imperium into small squishy pancakes soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xClampy View Post
    Hey,

Im new to Space Marines as a player, and I have no iea where to focus my building on. Anyways, I have quickly writen out a 2k list using various units to kit out and see what you think. Please criticise and scrutinise everything as you see fit, as Im new, I only want to learn whats good, and what is bad. Cheers
    Welcome to Space Marines, xClampy. You picked one of the most ferocious chapters among the Space Marines, but I can see you can use some pointers on your list.

Instead of disfiguring your list saying that this character is not good or that you shouldn’t play that unit, I’ll try to adjust what you already have selected, saying just that your list should be looked as a fun list due to your selection.

With that out of the way, let’s begin:

HQ

Njal Stormcaller
    - Runic Terminator Armour

Canis Wolfborn
    Fun to play, but he is not competitive. Njal needs to be at the front of the line for his powers to be used and his specials effects don’t possess game changing results. If you attach him to another squad, the squad is now forced to shoot and assault the same squad Njal targets.

If you like Rune Priests play a normal RP with terminator armor and attach him on a squad of Grey Hunters in power armor, just to protect him from shooting.

Canis is another fun character to play and he’s also far away from being competitive, lacking an invulnerable save. He’ll attract fire at the beginning and normally dies to anything that ignores armor saves in CC.

I’ve played both in fun games and when they work, you have a very good time looking at your opponents face, but most of the time, they don’t survive against any decent list.

ELITES

Wolf Guard x 5
    - Terminator Armour
    - Assault Cannon x 1
    - Twin Wolf Claws x 1
    - Chainfist x 1

Dreadnought
    - Plasma Cannon

Wolf Scouts x 5
    - Sniper Rifle x 2
    - Plasma Gun
    I’d assume you had planned to attach Njal to this terminator squad. That is fine, but remember my comments regarding targeting.

Why Plasma Cannon on the Dreadnought? And you want to drop pod it!
    A Multi-Melta/Heavy Flamer is better if you want to pop armor and/or clog fire lanes. Much better would be a Grey Hunter Squad with a meltagun and a WG with combi-melta and power fist on it! Discounting major scatters, it is very reliable and if you get charged next turn, well… That’s what Space Wolves are made for

The best use for scouts is to tie up enemy squads that sit on the far end of the table. Wolves scouts are unique because of their BEL rules. If you’re not using that for that purpose, then get something else in their place. Assuming I made my point, they should have BP/CC and a WG with either a PW or a PF. Don’t expect much of these guys against MEQ, but against anything else, they rock when they come from behind.

TROOPS

Blood Claws x 10
    - Lukas the Trickster
    - Meltagun
    - Power Weapon

Grey Hunters x 5
    - Meltagun
    - Power Weapon

Fenrisian Wolves x 5
    - Cyberwolf
    For 2000 points, I’d consider using about 5 to 6 troop choices, instead of just 3.

Assuming you’re going to attach Canis to the Ferisian Wolves squad, think twice. Canis is not fearless, doesn’t have an invulnerable save and his leadership is low. Any incoming fire would kill the wolves and force a leadership check that they can easily fail and run.

Basically, you have no holding power on your troops. I suggest you rethink this configuration and find the points to have at least three full 10 men Grey Hunter squads. (You can let loose the Dreadnought and now you just added another scoring unit ).

Regarding Blood Claws, unless they are led by a Wolf Priest, I’d not recommend using them.
    And get rid of Lukas. ‘Nough said!

FAST ATTACK

Skyclaw Assault Pack x 5
    - Plasma Pistol
    - Power Weapon
    The same comment I’ve made regarding using Blood claws as troop choice applies to Skyclaws. They’re Claws. If you intend to use a Skyclaw unit, they need a Wolf Priest with Jump pack and numbers.

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator

Land Raider Crusader

Long Fangs x 5
    - Squad Leader Plasma Pistol
    - Heavy Bolter x 2
    - Multi-Melta
    - Lascannon
    Vindicator is fine, Land Raider debatable but passable, Long Fangs is wrong. You need to focus on what your Long Fangs role would be. If they are supposed to deal with light/moderate infantry, then use 3 HB/2PC is a good configuration. If you want them to handle armor, then use 3 ML/2LC. On your current configuration, you have three different ranges. Besides that, your squad leader never fires his weapon due to Fire Control. The Plasma Pistol is a waste.

ADDITIONAL

Drop Pod (for Dreadnought)
    The Drop pod is OK, but consider what I’ve said and use a full 10 men GH/WG squad instead.

I’d suggest you browse the Army List section for SW 2000 points lists and check what other players are doing. One of the best SW units, Thunderwolf Calvary, you didn’t even consider at such a large game!

If you’re really new, my real advice would be to start playing small games, 500 to 1000 points, instead of trying to go into a 2000 points game right away. I’ve seen a lot of frustrated players out there committing this mistake.
    Last edited by Cowboy; February 4th, 2010 at 05:48.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. I guess I really havent got much of a clue as to this Army. Ill use the tips you have given me, to try and make a better list. Thnks a lot./

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should add some thunder wolves to go with Canis Wolfborn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Webber View Post
    I think you should add some thunder wolves to go with Canis Wolfborn
    Canis is a cheap IC, especially in 2000 points, but again, he's not competitive. For25 points more, you get a similar Wolf Lord with 2 WC, TW mount and Belt of Russ. He potentially has less attacks because of Canis special rule, but he has now a 4+ Invulnerable save, higher leadership, higher WS and survives way more than Canis. You have the flexibility to tailor him to whatever role you want and he doesn’t even have to be that expensive, thanks to the rending he gets from TW.

The problem with using Canis in a squad is that he is an IC and as such will be singled out and get all attacks that ignore armor, while the normal attack will be directed at the rest of the quad.

I'm not against using Canis, and I've done many times. The psychological factor is amazing and I just like to watch the face of my opponents when Canis gets in CC and kills a whole squad in a single swoop. I just don’t expect Canis to do this every game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok well I have worked on another list, and I feel that this is a much beter list than the first one. I have dropped both the characters and gone for a Wolf Lord. Anyways, here it is, please comment and criticise at will, as I jut want to have a great list.

Wolf Lord
    - Thunderwolf Mount
    - Frost Blade
    - Belt of Russ
    - Melta Bombs

Wolf Guard x 5
    - Terminator Armour
    - Melta Bombs

Dreadnought
    - Multi-Melta

Dreadnought
    - Multi-Melta

Grey Hunters x 10
    - Meltagun x 2
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    - Wolf Standard

Grey Hunters x 10
    - Meltagun x 2
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    - Wolf Standard

Grey Hunters x 10
    - Meltagun x 2
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    - Wolf Standard

Thunderwolf Cavalry x 4
    - Power Fist
    - Mark of the Wulfen

Landspeeder x 2
    - Typhoon Upgrade

Long Fangs x 5
    - Power Fist
    - Melta Bombs
    - 2 x Heavy Bolters
    - 2 x Missile Launchers

Long Fangs x 5
    - Power Fist
    - Melta Bombs
    - 2 x Heavy Bolters
    - 2 x Missile Launchers

Predator
    - Heavy Bolters

Total Points - 1995 pts

Well I think this list is much better than the previous. But I hoping there is something need to work on. Whatcha reckon guys?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think its great. Looks almost like my 2000 point list. Except without the Thunderwolf Calvary. I never liked proxing models, but if there's a good enough look-alike I'd be happy to include them in my list. Might want to think about turning the Predator into a anti-tank weapon though, with lascannons all around. You could also give the terminators some multi-meltas instead of melta bombs. If I'm correct the multi-meltas would also cost less points, some points to put into some other things like upgrading the landspeeders. I could be wrong though, I don't have the codex with me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much better, much better…..

But, as you already said, there is room for adjustments, still…

Wolf Lord
    - Thunderwolf Mount
    - Frost Blade
    - Belt of Russ
    - Melta Bombs
    Good.
    However, I can’t see the use for the melta bombs. Its only use would be against Land Raiders, which you shouldn’t be charging it anyways. Against any other AV, you’ll use your regular attacks, instead of the single bomb attack.

Wolf Guard x 5
    - Terminator Armour
    - Melta Bombs
    These need serious work, along with you Grey Hunters squads. I’ll address both issues here.

One of the biggest mistakes people make while writing SW lists is thinking like Space Marines. SW really don’t need terminators, but if you really want to use them, they will need to be tweaked to benefit for the rules restrictions.

Your GH squads have no WG with a power fist assigned to them. Guard this well: You need a power fist in each squad. It is that simple and I won’t get into a lengthy discussion why.

So, you need at least the same number of WG with Power Fist as you have GH squads. My WG have Power Fist and Storm Bolter.

If you want to use WG terminators, at least one have to be upgraded with a Storm Shield to increase the chance to survive the eventual low AP shot. I’d suggest 3 with normal SB/PW, one with TH/SS and one with a Chainfist. Either a cyclone ML or an assault cannon should be placed on one of the PW terminators. They are expensive, and that’s why you don’t see SW players using them.

Dreadnought
    - Multi-Melta

Dreadnought
    - Multi-Melta
    With no drop pod, these are much better off with an assault cannon instead of MM, but they are still OK.

Grey Hunters x 10
    - Meltagun x 2
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    - Wolf Standard

Grey Hunters x 10
    - Meltagun x 2
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    - Wolf Standard

Grey Hunters x 10
    - Meltagun x 2
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    - Wolf Standard
    My normal configuration is:
    GH (9)
    + Meltagun
    + MotW
    + WS
    + Rhino
    Then one WG with PF/SB joins the squad. All my GH squads are in transports.

If you want to hunt armor, I’d suggest arming your WG with PF and combi-melta and placing them in a drop pod.

Thunderwolf Cavalry x 4
    - Power Fist
    - Mark of the Wulfen
    I love these guys! They are simply the best SW unit.
    Your configuration though needs some adjustments. There is no reason to give MotW on a TWC. They already have a very high number of attacks, and they also rend. I also suggest at least on with SS and another with TH. That sounds very strange, but allows you to play wound allocation, most times saving a model with a wound already.

Landspeeder x 2
    - Typhoon Upgrade
    I like speeders a lot, but I have multi-melta on mine. They are my AV hunters and rare is the game that they get just their points back. ML are ok, but with their high mobility, they are much more efficient with MM than with ML.

Long Fangs x 5
    - Power Fist
    - Melta Bombs
    - 2 x Heavy Bolters
    - 2 x Missile Launchers

Long Fangs x 5
    - Power Fist
    - Melta Bombs
    - 2 x Heavy Bolters
    - 2 x Missile Launchers
    I still don’t like them. I don’t see a reason to play HB on Long Fangs. ML can deal with hordes better and GH should be engaging them with bolter shots up close and personal. You need LasCannons against either armor of elite infantry. A single squad with 3 ML/2 LC will do it.

The power fist and melta bombs are totally out of place here. If your Long Fangs are getting assaulted, you either need to work your deployment better or provide proper support for them. That’s another reason you need your GH in Rhinos. Mobility is everything in the battle field. But if you fear this situation, then add a WG with a power fist to the squad. You may even thing about adding a WG terminator with a cyclone ML. This way you add two more ML shots and still have the PF protection.

Predator
    - Heavy Bolters
    Nope… No reason to use a predator. If you want a tank in 2000 points, use a vindicator. Otherwise save the points for your transports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok I think I have it now, Ill get another list written out ready for tonight. I would like to start getting the stuff tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast