Drop pod List 2000pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

Drop pod List 2000pts

Another list of mine, I might run it as I have some of the models already. Heres the list in drop pod form.

Hq 2XX
    Varro Tigurius (essential for the re-roll reserves, goes with a sternguard squad)

Troops 705
    Tactical Squad w/flamer, plasma cannon, power fist + drop pod

Elites 670
    10 Sternguard w/ 6 combi-meltas, power fist + drop pod
    10 Sternguard w/ 6 combi-meltas, power fist + drop pod

Fast Attack
    2 Landspeeder Tyhoons
    2 Landspeeder Tyhoons

Total: 1975 (25pts to spare, any ideas?)

Tactics are all in reserves and then standard drop pod with Tigurius allowing me more choice over later deployment.
    It can also go mech by making the drop pods rhinos but that defeats the point.

p.s. Pedro Kantor could be useful here (5-10 scoring units) but
    1. i play ultramarines which isn't the main problem as he would fit in (both blue)
    2. I have the classic problem with reserves pop up, (no control over timing)

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

Tigurius is potent, but he costs a lot and only has an invulnerable save when casting force dome. I don't think you would need him, but 2,000 points is a limit high enough to justify taking him, especially because he gives you the means of redeploying at least one of the sternguard squads quickly, which is sometimes a big weakness of all-drop pod armies. Kantor on the other hand would provide you with some extra points, extra scoring units, extra (one-use) firepower against enemy units in hiding, and extra assault power.

All-drop pods are easy to counter: reserve everything yourself. The ****** drop pod assault rule forces you to bring down half your pods on turn one and leave you stranded. You will of course drop the tacticals in this case and load them into objectives, but it still deprives you of that alpha-strike capability your army relies on, which takes out quite a bit of its effectiveness. I loved my drop pod force, but since drop pod assault I don't use it anymore. But: your risk, your choice.

I like how people start using the typhoons more often and recognize their amazingness in fifth edition. Finally all the preaching pays off!
    And yet you only have two squads, able to engage two transports a turn (beginning turn two). The rest of your army does nothing to stop transports, which -at 2,000 points- does not seem like much. The sternguard can use their meltas, but at 2,000 points they will have other targets like battle tanks and land raiders. Anyway, just a thought that you are a little low on medium-strength anti-vehicle weaponry for the points limit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

In case of them putting everything in reserves I will make a ring of drop pods and put all my army inside it in the middle of their deployment zone, it might work.

Right new list has rocket launchers instead of plasma cannons (more medium AT). Sternguard In Tigurius' squad have two meltaguns (with gate of infinity in case they want to kill more vechiles) and all spare points put on locator beacons (better gate, if i want to deepstrike landspeeders, (i woudn't but i could) and for the anti-anti-drop method posted above.

Also I see Kantor's pros but 3 powers a turn is more than it seems. Cast force dome for 5++, avenger and gate for shooting or if I expect charge might and quickening for S6 , I10 force weapon attack. Apart from sternguard scoring and being a tiny bit cheaper, Kantor has no pros and those two are balanced out by Tigurius's IMO.

Thanks for advice and keep it coming.

+ Reply to Thread