first 1000 point space marine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first 1000 point space marine

Hey guys,

Im considering building a 1000 pt space marine army hopefully to expand on and take to some tournaments in the future, anyway any advice on what I should perhaps change or get rid of would be much appreciated. Also Id like the list to be quite good all rounders, obviously for tournaments.

1 x Captain (with bolter and power sword)

2 x 10 man tactical squads(both with flamer and missile launcher)

1 x 5 man terminator squad ( all with storm bolters and 4 power fists 1 power sword)

1 x Dreadnought (multi-melta and ccw with built in storm bolter)

1 x 5 man devastator squad (1 Heavy bolter, 1 missile launcher, 1 lascannon and 1 plasma cannon)

1 x 5 man scout squad (all with sniper rifles)

All criticisms welcome, I dont think I can put up the points for this but it is 1000 pts total.

My considerations for alternatives are, to add a flamer or an assault cannon to the terminator squad, and possibly to standardise my devastator squad with 4 missile launchers as i read somewhere thats more effective. This would mean I could replace my missile launchers in the tactical squads with a combination from HB, LC, PC.

Anyway thanks in advance for any help.

Neil

Last edited by nezzanezza; February 16th, 2010 at 15:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Putting Missle launchers on the devestators and then mixing other weapons into your tactical squads is a fine idea and would give you more flexibility. Consider potentially specializing the tactical squads a bit, one with meltagun and multimelta/lascannon for tank busting. The other with flamer and heavy bolter for infantry suppression.

Your list is lacking mobility in a rather painful way. Maybe some rhinos or assault marines would help out?

An assault cannon or cyclone launcher would go far on your terminators, or a heavy flamer if you want to deep strike them instead.

If you are up for some conversions, and haven't started your collection I would grab the Black Reach starter set and a Battleforce. You could convert the scout's bolters to long-barreled "sniper" variants with a bit of love I think.

Really at this points level I might consider holding off on either the terminators, or the devestators, which one is up to you. All depends on if you want a tougher squad that kills better in combat, or a lighter squad that just sits faaar away and blows everything apart.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

IMO, terminators always need a transport unless you're running a drop pod army. They are priority target for the enemy and get shot by everything. Also, the landraider's assualt ramp effectively gives them a 20" charge range meaning a turn 2 charge. However, this is too much for 1000pts so if you must have them give them a cyclone missile launcher/assualt cannon as previously mentioned.

Your dreadnought wants a drop pod to maximise his multi-melta power. A heavy flamer instead of a stormbolter would also give him more flexibility in this role.
    Your tactical squads NEED mobility, any of the dedicated transports are good. Don't give any of the transports upgrades, there a waste of points.

To pay for this pointwise you have two options. You can go for a deep-striking army in which case lose the devestators and use the points to buy drop pods for your tacticals. Put some locator beacons on them for your terminators (any heavy weapon will do) and all is good.
    Alternatively, you could just use standardised mech and buy them rhinos. If your doing this then I would lose the terminators as they're slow. Use the spare points to increase the scout squad size or maybe buy a couple of multimelta attack bikes (fast AT). If you really like the terminators then lsoe the scouts instead and just buy the tacs rhinos.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree Termi's need transport, so drop them.

You need to give your Dev squad a job either it’s going to hunt vehicles and monstrous creatures or its going to thin hordes. I run 2 Lascannon and 2 Missile launchers or 4 missile launchers to hunt tanks ( be sure to add a couple of extra bolter marines to allocate wounds to so you don’t lose your special weapons on the first turn). or I go with 2 plasma cannons and 2 heavy bolters for hordes.

the tactical squads are nice to move around the board and take objectives they have a great armour save if they get you use it but consider your other troop choice!! sniper scouts with Camo cloaks with Telion in cover get a 2+ cover save (the Camo cloaks give them stealth +1 to cover and Telion has stealth as well and his +1 to cover save confers to the Squad so it stacks to +2 to the cover save so if you are in a ruin that offers a 4+ save you get the bonus 2 to get it to a 2+ save only one’s can hurt you. my snipers always kill more points that what they’re worth before they all die.)

that Dreadnought needs a drop pod, if you try and foot slog it across the board it will be dead by turn two. if you want a Dreadnought with no transport, put on a Lascannon and missile launchers and put him in cover and don’t move him just shoot.

Here is my 1000pts list, mind you it is a doubles list so it revolves around my partners Space Marines

1000 Pts - Space Marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, Ive rethought things a bit and this is what Ive come up with;

1 x Captain (with bolter and power sword),

1 x 10 man tactical squad (with flamer and heavy bolter),

1 x 10 man tactical squad (with meltagun and missile launcher),

1 x Rhino (to be assigned to either of the above squads, based on opponent??),

1 x 5 man terminator squad ( 1 heavy flamer),

1 x Dreadnought (multi-melta and ccw with with heavy flamer and extra armour),
    Drop pod (locator beacon),

1 x 5 man scout squad (sgt telion all with sniper rifles and camo cloaks).

It comes to 1000 points, the idea being to have one squad for horde thinning and one for armour and monsters, use the rhino to mobilise whichever squad is going to be more effective against my opponent. move scouts into cover. drop the dreadnought close to the enemy then the terminators follow suit. Can anyone point me in the right direction in how to use the locator beacons I have both the codex and the rule book but cant find anything on it.

Again all criticism welcome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    81 (x2)

better but could still do with some nitpicking, however, I'm not very good at low points so I'll let someone else do it.

Locator Beacon: P67 Of the Space Marine Codex, in the scout bike squad section. Top right of the page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah found it thanks. Cool thanks for your help.

+ Reply to Thread